Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are there any universal Windows apps, or instant messenger applications, that support Facebook Chat properly? I've tried a bunch but they're either missing features (emoticons or stickers etc.) or just don't work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Oh god, my mom upgraded to windows 10 because it asked her to. "Why can't I log in to my Facebook or email? Where did all my passwords go?" Whhhhhhyyyyyy

Is she now using Edge instead of whatever browser she used before the upgrade?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

New Windows 10 build 10525 out for Insiders.

Edit: Heh, had to uninstall it, messed with my net connection. Looks like anything that tried to use IE's connection settings, like IE itself or iTunes, wouldn't connect. Firefox worked fine. Odd.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 18, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Arcon posted:

I updated to 10525 and everything is terrible!

On 525 Chrome was completely broken and I kinda use Chrome a lot so I reverted to 10240

But wait! now the apps are all broke and nothing will reinstall because the apps are all broke!

Powershell commands that would normally fix this all error out!

Cant go into safe mode because all of a sudden my keyboard no longer registers in the Advanced Startup stuff!

Go to reset PC? BSOD boot error until it reverts back to my broken-store-status!

Clean install time? I think its clean install time.

It had a good run, since May of last year (Upgraded from 8.1 to Build 10074 and beyond)

:catstare: I'm not as bad as that but I can't fix the Store and lots of the apps. :negative:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This is what I get when I try to repair the Store when I've rolled back from 10525. Store doesn't open

Very odd, the Store is now working again randomly, even though those command above didn't work.

As you were.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Build 10532 is out.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-insider-preview-build-10532-download-now

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 27, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've got the same issue with this build that I did with the last. Firefox will connect to the internet and load any site, as will Chrome.

Edge and IE will not load specific things, like google.com. They will load random sites. Windows Update can't connect to the internet, nor can the Store.

I'd like to stay on this build - how do I fix this? I've been clutching at straws here. I reset the ip settings in the Command Prompt and uninstalled then reinstalled the driver. Suggestions?

Odd, uninstalling NOD32 fixed it. I wonder why it only stopped certain pages loading?

How do you get the title bar to reflect the accent colour?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 27, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Was this not meant to be baked in in the last build?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

codo27 posted:

One of these days when I open a new tab in Edge and nothing happens when I start typing I'm going to loving burn the whole block down. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CLICK THE ADDRESS BAR FIRST

Many universal apps don't focus the cursor in the text box. Mail account settings, or the initial setting up of the machine have the same issue.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Truga posted:

When I can log into my Microsoft (or google or whatever other ~evil corp~ is on the top of the list today) account and browse/edit the same data about me they can, then I'll be totally cool with what they do. Until then, they're getting what I'm getting :shrug:

https://history.google.com/history/

I don't know if that's what you're looking, but it allows you to see your text search history, location history, and you can even listen to your voice searches for whatever. My voice sounds terrible.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Build 10457 10547 is out for Fast Ring Insiders.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/6115/microsoft-issues-windows-10-build-10547-for-pcs-to-insiders-on-the-fast-ring

One thing I've noticed not detailed there: icons for Modern apps now have more colour in them, like Mail and Store. Looks quite nice.

For some reason, this new Show more tiles option for the Start menu doesn't actually allow me to have wide tiles side by side, even though it's meant to be one of the features of this build.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 18, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Build 10565 is out for fast track Insiders.

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Modern apps like Mail etc. are back to their white-only icons. Sad day for mankind.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I just downloaded the Windows 10 Pro x64 UK English ISO using the media creation tool. It differs in hash and file size compared with the ISO I downloaded of the exact same product on 29th July. Any idea what's been added (today's ISO is 3.28GB; the July ISO is 3.12GB)?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 13, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/isos-windows-10-build-10565-pcs-now-available

You can now get ISOs of build 10565.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Currently leaving it to install some 200+ updates, just so I can download Win10 for the third time and retry an upgrade yet again -- and then rewipe it to start afresh with Win10. Definitely the most frustrating thing I've ever had to do on a PC (and I'm a career embedded software developer, who has serviced family WinME machines).

Next time I'll just give up on the win license and go Debian.

I'm pretty sure that once Windows 7 is installed you can just download the Windows 10 ISO/media creation tool and get going. Without installing 6 years of updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7122/windows-10-fall-update-is-set-for-november-release

quote:

And unlike the post-RTM Windows Insider builds we’ve been getting, the Fall Update will ship as a cumulative update, not as a full build.

I don't care the if the update comes through Windows Update as a patch or whatever, but they'd release updated ISOs for clean installs, wouldn't they? :ohdear:

Oh, didn't see this bit:

quote:

Recovery tools. The Push Button Reset feature will be updated so that resetting the PC will reset it to the Windows 10 Fall Update, not the July RTM release. If you upgraded from Windows 8.1, you will lose PC maker customizations. (This won’t happen on Windows 10 PCs.)

That is great.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 21, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mortanis posted:

My search is now broken on Windows 10. Hitting the Start key and typing a program's name only brings up folders and files (under a "Best Match" heading) - it won't show any program results at all.

If I create a new user and log into it, search works as expected. I can type "calc" and Calculator will appear.

I don't see any options under Folder Options > Search that might lead to this, nor under the "Search Options" on the start bar, which just seems to apply to Cortana.

You might need to rebuild your index. Type index into the Start menu and hit Indexing Options, then Advanced, Rebuild.

Edit: Is there really no way to save a photo from the Mail app? I'm having to copy and paste it into Paint and then save it. Bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 25, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Unfortunately, the problem remains after a rebuild of the index.

Have you tried the Indexing troubleshooter?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Yes, but there's no option for "programs don't appear in search results" - just files and email. "Issue not present" is listed under the report for all items.

Try downloading the Windows 7 index troubleshooter and running it in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7. Sorted out an issue I had in Windows 8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I take it Microsoft will release an Official ISO next week? Or at least enable the media creation tool to download Windows 10 with the November Update?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone know if the November update has started rolling out? I'm on 10586 already so I'm probably already running the final bits, but I'm due to update a few machines from Windows 7 to 10 this week and I'd rather get the new ISO and save myself installing 4 months of updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I posted ESD links and the ESD to ISo converter a page or two ago.

Was hoping to grab the UK English ISO from the media creation tool but I these will do in the meantime, thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Downloaders within Windows build their USB/ISO/whatever through the Media Creation Tool; they'll get it when the Windows Update ESD or whatever hits.

Downloaders outside of Windows download an ISO directly; they'll get it when it hits MSDN.

There's no declared timeframe but you can rest assured Microsoft will let you know when it happens.

I'd heard November 12th for the November Update. Not long now to find out. Good thing too, my Windows 10 install has been inexplicably hosed beyond repair.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Two tips for anyone wanting to download the ISO of the November update using the Media Creation Tool:

1. There is a new version of the tool; seems to be a single download now instead of separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the tool itself. Earlier, I tried using the Media Creation Tool I downloaded a few days ago to get the new ISO and it just downloaded the RTM release of Windows 10.

2. The Tool no longer provides an option to download Pro or Home editions separately, but the ISO you download will allow you to select either Pro or Home edition during installation.

I had to format due to some horrendous system instability and the ISO I downloaded went without a hitch. Nice to have only a few days' updates to download instead of 4 months.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there an article summing up what the big November update is suppose to be? It took like 40 minutes to install on my computer and everything seems exactly the same.

I just wish they would fix their lovely mail app to be as functional as the Windows 8 version.

The Mail app is more functional now than it's ever been, what do you think is missing?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

I am motivated to figure out a solution especially in light of all the copy paste cargo cult "solutions" I'm finding online. Really irritating.

I looked in my Windows.Old, but not all the apps I currently have are in there. Taking the Weather or Messaging app for example, not there.

However:

I do have a disk image from a few days ago. Noticing that there are multiple folders per app, I removed all the Bing Weather ones and copied them wholesale from my backup. Now Bing Weather works. This is interesting. It looks like perhaps the current situation is that for some of the apps, some of the app folders are missing. Like why is only ONE of the Microsoft.Messaging folders there if it needs 3? Not sure. If I can't copy them out of a backup, I can probably copy them from a VM.

This still leaves open the question of why any of it happened at all.

I take it you've tried System Restore? I was having your issues a few days ago and spent hours trying to sort it, though I also had horrendous system instability. I just formatted and it's all fine now of course, but you're probably quicker doing that than spending more time trying to track down the issues.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-yanks-latest-windows-10-release-from-its-download-server/

The new Windows 10 Media Creation Tool now only installs Build 10240 and MS wants everyone to upgrade to Build 1511 instead of clean installing.

(EDIT: There's a copy of the old 1511 MCT here http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/C/4/1C41BC6B-F8AB-403B-B04E-C96ED6047488/MediaCreationTool.exe Grab it before MS removes it.)

redeyes posted:

I don't know whats going on but MS pulled the Nov update 10586. Also the boot media creation tool has been revered to 240. The gently caress?!

Bit late there, redeyes :unsmith:

There are two theories I've read so far:

quote:

This (pulling of the update on MCT) may have to do with a glitch also reported here on Monday that on Clean Installs that media was reading embedded Windows 8 keys to only activate the embedded version, even on PC’s that also had a Digital Entitlement to Pro version. Since the version menu was then hidden, there was no way to install Professional without a workaround that was posted later in the week by MS.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/microsoft-removes-standalone-windows-10-november-update-install-web

and

quote:

The Windows 10 ADK was recently updated on the Microsoft Hardware Dev Center, aligned with the Windows 10, version 1511 update. While this Windows ADK update addresses several known issues present in the initial release of the Windows 10 ADK (PowerShell, MDAC) there is a serious issue with it that blocks the following Configuration Manager OS deployment scenarios:

From Software Center, launch a task sequence that uses a Windows PE v10.0.10586 boot image. When the computer restarts into Windows PE, it will fail when “Initializing hardware devices” with the error: “Windows PE initialization failed with error code 0x80220014.”
http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511.aspx

Hopefully it's just a temporary issue that Microsoft is doing their usual piss-poor job of explaining.

I grabbed the ISOs for Core and Pro in both 32- and 64-bit when they became available earlier this month.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like it's a case of Microsoft just...being Microsoft I guess.

This is from the ZDNet article.

I'm hoping that's just the cover story, because that explanation makes gently caress all sense.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

1511 is now available for the MCT again but was taken down previously thanks to an extremely minor bug that only hit a few people.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-restores-windows-10-november-update-media-explains-why-it-was-pulled

The bug in question related to the following four settings, which, if turned off by the user, were set to their default 'on' setting after applying the update:

-Let apps use my advertising ID
-Turn on SmartScreen Filter for web content
-Let apps run in the background
-Sync with devices

Glad they resolved it so quickly but my sweet Jesus, why do they not just explain these things from the outset?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

The rollout is staggered, to keep load on the update servers manageable. MS also halted the rollout for a while, so things have gotten further delayed.

Also, if you only upgraded to windows 10 within the last 30 days, you won't be offered the upgrade, to keep the 30 day rollback option working.

To clarify this further, once the November Update upgrades you to build 1511, as well as not being able to roll back to a pre-Windows 10 operating system, if you "Reset" the computer to factory settings or whatever, it will give you a clean install of Windows 10.

This is pretty good - if you need to reset, you won't have to go back to a machine with a bunch of OEM-installed crapware and you should have a nice clean, fast and stable install.

Unless I've misread something along the way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Local search has been a joke since Windows 8. I can't believe there's still no way to have it always search your local stuff first without doing to a web search. At least in 8 you could hit Winkey + F or whatever for local files.

It's tempting to install Start10 since it gives the option of the Windows 7 search behaviour, which does the trick every time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm on the latest Insider build (11082) and that specific option isn't there, though it still made no difference when I disabled it on older builds. It stopped showing web results but didn't show me local results til I clicked My Stuff. I don't know why they insist on making it so poo poo.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just upgrade to Win10 already. It's so much better than Win8.

I'm already on 10. I never minded Windows 8 (except for the local search :smith:).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Win10, insider build 11082.
Its stopped showing me the window for file transfers. They proceed normally, but it doesn't show the window.

Anybody else experiencing that?

It's a known issue with that build. Read the release notes, especially when you're on the fast track Insider builds.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone else have really poor performance on the Xbox app? Even typing messages chugs for me on build 11082.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My desktop is still stuck on build 10240, what's the easiest way of forcing it to update to the current (non-Insider) build?

Download the Media Creation Tool and run it. Easy peasy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cool, thanks. I did consider using the tool, but it doesn't tell you what build you're upgrading to when you click install so I wasn't entirely certain what it was planning on doing.

Just make sure you download the latest version of the tool itself as the original ones from July just download build 10240.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 2, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

DeaconBlues posted:

Is there a trusted source for the SHA1 checksum of the November 1511 ISO's?

It's so much easier and quicker to get an ISO over bittorrent and then check it hasn't been altered before use.

The Media Creation Tool maxes out my connection when I download the ISOs. Does it not use all your bandwidth or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

taqueso posted:

There was some discussion of this like a week ago in the thread. Sometimes you can hit a key and it works, sometimes you have to click the mouse. It acts like the lock screen doesn't have focus sometimes.

This happens on a laptop I've just formatted and installed Windows 10 on. If I've closed the lid and reopened after it's suspended, I have to click the screen as it won't respond to any keyboard input. Most annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

New Insider build out for the fast track.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/13/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-11099/

Nothing sexy in this one but it does show the file transfer window again.