Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, well that is lovely. That fucks me completely on building my grandparents a new PC later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ufarn posted:

My W10 installed the update when I turned off the computer before I went to sleep. Which is fine, except it loving restarted and was on for the whole night.

This isn't rocket surgery, Microsoft, c'mon.

YOUR SYSTEM IS NOW SAFE TO BE TURNED OFF

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ItBreathes posted:

Just got a Win10 laptop, anybody got a favorite link for things to gently caress with on a fresh install?

You could always rephrase this as " How to make Win10 as much like Win7 as possible"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

redeyes posted:

My computer has been maxing the CPU when idle. I haven't bothered finding out why yet but its been going on for like a week.

MS slipped in a Bitcoin miner

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Helith posted:

There’s a really old DVD and card readers combo thing installed in there and it basically assigned a drive letter to each reader in there. I never actually use them and the DVD drive broke a while back but I haven’t got around to taking it out. Main drive is C and then an external back up drive are the two that actually get used.
And now the the sudden appearance of J:/ System Reserved.

Hello, friend. I don't have any actual advice for you, but I know that " oh poo poo, I just hosed up" feeling all too well. I hope this all turns out well for you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I haven't had a single issue with my Windows 7 install, since i built this PC some years ago.
gently caress Windows 10, gently caress Microsofts lack of QA.

All these constant problems with the "updates" only confirms that I've made the right choice.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
TYOOL 2018 and people are STILL arguing with Fishmech?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, was there some update that hosed poo poo up?
My grandparents PC , the login screen is completely different , my grandfathers account was renamed to “Email service”, You can’t actually log into any of them as the computer is in airplane mode ( it’s a desktop) and it won’t log in without internet.

There is no desktop or start menu. Just three icons for “internet”. Which just says “ airplane mode” and no options left or right clicking. One with a bunch of accessibility options, like narrator, high contrast a d stick keys, and then power options.

Every time I have to touch windows 10, it’s like pulling goddamn teeth.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds more like your grandpa installed some weird malware, lmao.

Nope! More Microsoft bullshit!
Uninstalled the latest “ Features” update from the options and that got everything back to normal.
Not sure what the “features” was supposed to be

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

That shits all normal. Your grampa is on an old rear end ver of Windows 10 that is no longer supported. Microsoft pushed down the latest version and some minor things changed. I did that for about 300 users and maybe 5 had issues.

Well, it's completely breaking the system, and how can it be an "old rear end" version if updates are forcibly turned on? I can fix it by forcing it to uninstall the latest "Features" pack, but it's already installed it self again. So, I have to drive back over there tomorrow and figure out a way to stop it from reinstalling again. How can I block it from installing this poo poo?

And I hardly call this " minor" when the it's forcing you to have an active internet connection to even log on to your desktop(and breaking that connection in the process),

Edit: I'll just disable the Updates service altogether.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 8, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You know, you would really think something like “ the Solitaire collection isn’t working”. Would be a quick fix.
You’d really think that.

Half of the “here’s how to fix it” guides when googling are useless because the things they say to do, straight up don’t exist. Can’t reset the app, if there’s no option to reset it!

Edit: oh my gosh, is the Ms solitaire collection the only one in existence to download?
Ffcfffffff

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

redeyes posted:

That is a Microsoft gently caress up. I've seen it on 4 computers. What happened is the connected MS account got changed on the server side and the persons name is now EMAIL SERVICE. You can fix it by changing the name in the account itself.. and then disconnect the loving online login from win 10. What a stupid loving problem.

The rest.. no idea.

It was 100% this, but it also busted the internet , shoved it into Airplane mode and there were no options to change it. So, I'm not really sure how I could have changed the account name, when I couldn't even log into an account.

It's far past time for me to build them a new PC. The building isn't the problem, it's setting everything back up with their work flow.

As for someones MSN comment, I suspect that is the reason no one will help me. They want to kill off MSN accounts.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

redeyes posted:

That is a Microsoft gently caress up. I've seen it on 4 computers. What happened is the connected MS account got changed on the server side and the persons name is now EMAIL SERVICE. You can fix it by changing the name in the account itself.. and then disconnect the loving online login from win 10. What a stupid loving problem.

The rest.. no idea.

Goddamnit, I thought disabling the update service would prevent this from downloading again, but fffff, it came back this morning..

I don't know what to bloody well do. It wouldn't BE an issue, if the goddamn thing didn't break the loving internet in the process, locking me out from Safe Mode and other options.

How the gently caress can I fix or prevent this in a fast manner? It's a lovely older PC that I need to replace, but I don't have the time, money, or mental overhead to deal with all that right now.
It's costing me time and money as it is.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 14, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Updating to the newest version is breaking the internet, and locking me out from doing anything.

So, the solution to " The newest update is loving everything up" is " update to the newest version"

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds alot like doing Microsofts job for them. but hey, QA is a cost center, right?

And No, I haven't, because it was working at the time. I guesssss I'll figure out how to put it together.

Edit: anyone know, offhand, what the ID number is on that Feature pack update?

Edit2: Oh, I was thinking of this like " Using the Media creation tool to create a boot drive/disc, along with the updates needed installation" Like, how you used to could create OS install discs, with all the updates slipstreamed in.

But no, this is just " Get the MCT, and run it on that PC and let it update itself, as opposed to the automatic Windows update"

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 14, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
probably one of those lovely "Home" versions.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

Disabling updates is a bad idea either way. Either reinstall or fix it.

You should get the MCT, create a USB drive and run the update from that.

Okay but where does the update come from? Would the MCT download the update using the computers DSL, or would I need to download the update and include it on the thumbdrive?

I don't know what updates the system needs, or which one is actually breaking it.

And when googling around trying to figure this out, maybe MS shouldn't be pushing out updates so quickly, seems just about every one causes alot of people trouble.
But again, QA is a cost center lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

astral posted:

Did you try making his login a local account, instead of an MS account, before upgrading?

When? It was a Win7 machine initially, and it upgraded itself, long time ago.

As Redeye said, they saw this issue, on other machines, with the update MAKING it an MS account.

As far as I am aware, it IS a local account, except when MS fucks poo poo up.

I haven't been back over there.

So, No, I haven't tried making it a local account.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's not like this system was suddenly connected to the internet. It's been getting updates all this time.

MS hosed up their poo poo, don't QA their own stuff. It broke poo poo, so now I got to do their job for them

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cool, just wasted over 4 hours on this. Tried updating using the Windows update assistant.
No dice. So I used t be Media creation tool.

It STILL breaks poo poo and locks the PC into airplane mode .

Before, you input a password to log into an account. My grandfather and grandmother both have their own accounts. This one does not now. Hit “sign in” and it just tries to do its thing, which it can’t because it’s hosed and in airplane mode.

I really don’t know what to do now. I’m open to suggestions before I start googling Nuclear options for stripping out the Windows update service.

I just need this to work until I build them a new one. It’s worked just drat fine for years, it’ll work just drat fine for a bit longer

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
No, it’s plugged directly into a DSL modem.

It is a desktop system. Not a surface or a laptop.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, safe mode doesn’t change anything.

I think this is hosed. It is taking way too long to rollback this updat...

Okay soon as I complained, but finished up. Yay for complaining?

And I don’t really know, off the top of my head, how to create a new admin account.
My PC knowledge is fairly deep in some areas and very shallow in others.

I guess the idea being that a new account might not get locked behind the “must be online” thing. And then can possibly troubleshoot from the inside?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I’ll try that another day.
Ive been here since before 2 this afternoon.
I set up a batch file, to run at startup to Stop and disable the update service , since it turns itself back on.
Until I get fix it, or build them a new PC.

At least the poo poo I build stays up. Built my personal PC just as the Sandy bridge i5s came out ( i3570k)
And I’ve not have any major issue ( beyond a failing western digital drive and a GPU replacement)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, it is unfortunate that the MCT did not help. I appreciate your knowledge, nonetheless. Thank you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Don’t suppose anyone ever figures out why an older windows 10 update will kill any internet connection and force it into airplane mode?

It’s a desktop, connected by Ethernet. For fucks sake. But it’s even worse because it somehow has hosed things to require an internet connection just to log in to your own goddamn desktop.
:sigh: I really hate this modern era of software as a service.

Some of you may recall me complaining about this before. I’m at my grandparents now, rolling this drat patch for the Nth time. I think windows is on to me though, it’s erroring out on rolling it back lol.

Edit: spoke too soon, got it going after a restart. The batch file killing the update service on startup works for a couple weeks at a time.
God I wish I could just fix this poo poo. I really don’t want to recreate their work flow on a new system

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 4, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Javid posted:

Get it on wifi and mark the connection as metered and it should gently caress completely off until you let it update manually.

Eh, this is the lowest tier of windows 10. I don’t think that is even an option.
Besides, I’d have to spend money getting this on WiFi.

Right now I have a batch file that runs on startup , killing the update service. It works for a couple weeks before I gotta roll it back. I’ve been trying to clear a little breathing room around me so I could build them a new computer, doesn’t need much. An email/Skype machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ehhh, I guess, in retrospec, I am just screaming into the void. I'm gonna put them a new system together, with a fresh 10 install.

Just get so frustrated with software issues where the basic option seems to be " Just flatten and re-install"