Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

nielsm posted:

...how about Windows RT?
It's gone. However, phones will be able to get Windows 10 Mobile, when that is finished. There are also talks of small tablets getting the Mobile edition.

What? :prepop: You mean my tiny Surface 2 RT might not blow super amounts of rear end when it comes to functionality soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

d0s posted:

Last night Windows 10 notified me about an update, I told it to go ahead and restart, and everything went fine. I have it set to "Notify to schedule restart". This morning I woke up and my computer was at the login screen, apparently it rebooted again sometime in the middle of the night (I leave it on 24/7). When I logged in I got a notification telling me updates were installed. I thought Windows was supposed to always ask before restarting with this setting? This is the second time I've woken up to a login screen and "updates were installed" and it's really starting to weird me out.

It did this to me in earlier builds but stopped at some point. I think I just left windows update on defaults minus the P2P thing and haven't had a problem. Try that?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have an odd usage question. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

What I want to do is this:

When PC boots up and I log in, start a copy of Chrome on Desktop 2 that contains certain sites. Does this make sense?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

hooah posted:

I don't know much about Task Scheduler beyond the fact that it exists, but that can probably get the job done.

I took a quick look. I'd have to figure out how to start Chrome on Desktop 2 and pin those sites but that might work.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It'll ask for one, again in out-of-box if you skip it in setup, but you should be able to skip both and have it work. It worked for me that way on every computer I have, at least.

If it doesn't, try doing a from-media upgrade within Windows 7, freshly-activated with your old 7 key, no Windows Updates needed. They might have changed things after they started putting Windows DVD Player in upgrades from 8/.1 ProWMC and 7. No it doesn't destroy your Windows 7 license; it just works like the old upgrades where you can't run both the old and new OS simultaneously without breaking the license (dual-boot is fine (I'd recommend separate physical drives if you must do this), one being a VM inside the other isn't) and it eats the rollback data after a month to save space but you can activate 7 again later if you have a reason to.

All the other file formats 7-zip handles were fine. It was just .zip, and it was on Professional.

Think it was just your box. I ran 7-Zip and never once had an issue. :shrug:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dead Goon posted:

I unpinned all of the tiles and shrunk my start menu to the smallest it can be - I am very happy with my Start Menu :)

Thank you. I didn't know I could do that and now my start menu feels so much better.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Since I saw the announcement of the new build, I've checked the last couple of days and haven't gotten it. I did a clean install using the device key and then opt-in to Insider builds via Update but I'm still on the RTM build. Ideas? :confused:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lowtechs posted:

th2_release Professional 10576 out on the fast ring.

I installed it last night. Runs fine except for having to re-setup some things like Plex and Steam to run at startup.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lum posted:

Can someone who is on win 10 and booting with uefi do me a huge favour?

I've lost the Microsoft directory from my EFI system partition, so can someone open an admin command promptd and do:

Mountvol s: /s

Then zip up s:\efi\microsoft and shove it on dropbox or somewhere for me?

Getting invalid argument from that command. I'm not too familiar with mountvol so not sure if /s is a hidden argument or just not valid anymore.

Someone set my dumb rear end straight. I'm not in UEFI mode to see it.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 25, 2016

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I do find it weird that out of nowhere, Search decides that "Remote" means Remote Access Management and not Remote Desktop Connection like it has for years. :sigh:

It just needs a "This isn't what I'm looking for" button to learn what you want.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

HalloKitty posted:

mstsc is one character shorter than "remote" and is just as memorable, in my opinion!

(I actually have no idea if that works on the Windows 10 start menu).

It does but hitting the win key, typing REM should be all I need. Ah well.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Factor Mystic posted:

Works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It worked for me too until last week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ilkhan posted:

Thats not even an insider build, much less the insider build that got pushed yesterday.

The windows ink workspace icon is dumb. Looks like an infinity symbol, not a pen.

You don't see the pen in the center? I knew what it was when it first appeared because it looks like a pen drawing something. :confused:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I honestly hate Microsoft so much just for this one thing, not being able to get to those options easily on boot.

It's been that way since 8. Hold shift then click reboot. That will prompt you to boot into safe mode directly without having to hit F8.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GPF posted:

I don't 'hate', but I am disappointed that it takes that kind of action to get to the repair section now. Workarounds are ok, but ok don't get the job done all that well, specially since they removed an ability rather than improving the ability.

Does this work from a full restart with a non-functioning OS?

Considering the "click restart" portion, No. The safe mode method needs to change regardless. When you have SSDs booting to Windows in 5 seconds or less, hitting F8 even on a non-functioning OS is a pain. The easy idea solutions aren't good either though. Prompt at start? They'll get bitched at into oblivion. SSD boots too fast for most key combinations. Where do you go from there when the OS doesn't work?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GPF posted:

Well, I just went over to a co-worker who has a very fast booting SSD laptop. Shift and start from power off doesn't work, but as soon as I saw the Windows flag, the power button directly shut the machine down quickly and easily. Did it 3 times and it came up in repair mode.

If you're not even getting the flag screen due to something like a missing boot device, then boot that machine off a Win 10 disk. Should let you get into a repair mode and might be able to fix the missing boot device problem itself.

The Shift+Right Click method only works inside Windows. It should bring up a screen that has a choice to reboot to Safe Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
New version also has a Night mode. I haven't gotten to fully use it yet cause for some reason, Windows sees my shift key as getting stuck occasionally. :shrug:

Other than patch notes, is there anything that shows you what the newer features are? I'm sure I'm probably missing some nice tiny features they add in occasionally.