Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nielsm posted:

......Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.....

Why does everyone hate small business? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sheep posted:

If you didn't suck you'd grow more and be a real enterprise, obviously.

I'm waiting for the Pro SKUs to disappear entirely. Its going to be Enterprise or bust.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My Google-fu has failed me...

Is there any way to slipstream the 1151 update into the Windows 10 installer?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DeaconBlues posted:

Do you mean the 1511 update?

You could always just search for an .iso file using the checksum.

The .iso I have has a SHA1 checksum of 875ec108288b9f581e5d8099cf0edb79f0f3e483

Even if you get it from a torrent site, so long as the SHA1 matches you know you've got yourself an unadulterated copy of the official MS release.

Derp, yeah, I meant 1511.

Ah so a ISO with 1511 included exists?

I know the official utility from MS' website to make a Windows 10 installer doesn't include it yet...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Microsoft released a tool to troubleshoot the Start Menu in Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/21/fix-windows-10-start-menu/

This shouldn't need to exist....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

I had a netgear one, which worked fine but only connected at 802.11n speeds. Currently, I have an Intel AC 7260 (pci card) which works great, but I can't for the life of me get the bluetooth component working under Windows 10. Internet speeds are great though.

Strangely the Bluetooth portion of the Intel 7260 requires USB and does not work over PCI... Every 7260 card I have seen comes with a cable that connects to a header on the card and allows you to plug it into a internal USB header on your motherboard.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Doesn't this look amazing.

First screenshot of the new Windows Explorer app.

Reminds me of Dos Shell.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
After some additional consideration I retract my previous comment about it reminding me of Dosshell... It would in fact be an improvement over this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've had the restarts before during the time I had specified as "active hours". It seems to just completely ignore that setting from time to time.

While I like Windows 10 in general, the way updates are handled is inexcusable.

In the middle of browsing forums? OMGOMGOMG IMPORTANT UPDATES INCOMING! CANT WAIT! MUST REBOOT NOW!
Oh, playing a game? UPDATES!
Watching Youtube? UPDATES!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

...I don't know how they've changed QA on this stuff but its getting really annoying....

That's the thing, they don't have any QA anymore. They laid off most of the QA staff over a year ago. Customers are the beta testers now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've also learned the hard way, while Windows 7 can boot in UEFI mode, it requires the CSM (compatibility support module) to be enabled as it appears to still make use of some traditional BIOS services during the boot process, even in UEFI mode.

On some mobos this may also be called "Legacy module" or "Legacy support".

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking at the specs for that laptop, I see it has GMA3100 graphics... You are going to be pretty disappointed with the performance in Windows 10. Intel does not provide an offical 10 driver for it, and the one included in Windows 10 is pretty abysmal. I know this from experience.

The "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver was faster!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

fishmech posted:

Graphics performance has been fine on my old Thinkpad X61T, which has an Intel X3100 graphics chipset. I think I did snag a driver from Windows 7 to use which improved things?

That must be the ticket then. Because the one that is included with 10 is not so great. It just made everything feel laggy....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So they removed the Control Panel link from the right-click Start Menu and I want to loving murder someone.

If you're quick with the keyboard... WIN+R, type "control" and hit enter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Group Policy lets you permanently alter/disable a lot of annoying poo poo in Win 10, you can for instance have the PC skip login splash screen and boot straight to desktop, or disable the software firewall and related popups, or gut Cortana.

Win 7 Pro keys are like $5 on eBay and work fine to activate Win 10 Pro so no real harm in going Pro just in case you need it.

Those may be fine for personal use, but if you are a business, and the BSA/MS come knocking for an audit, used OEM keys/licenses off eBay will not be counted as valid in their eyes. No matter how hard you or your council/lawyer argues. Don't ask how I know this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

We got audited and we told them we had all OEM keys for OS and they didn't blink an eye. Didn't ask for any information about it or anything.

I guess it depends on the audit type. I can tell you from experience a BSA driven audit will not turn a blind eye to such thing. They want every single invoice for every single license. They don't care about keys, only that you can prove you purchased the license legitimately from a legitimate channel. And buying used OEM keys from eBay does not qualify as a legitimate license in their eyes. (in violation of the EULA, used OEM keys cannot be resold to be used on a different machine).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 25, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

isndl posted:

Unless you're in the EU where Microsoft couldn't make that stick, of course.

Yeah :/

Explains why nearly all of them on eBay are from EU countries...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I knew all that, I just wasn't in the mood to type it all since that guy sounded like he was BYOD for work and I've never heard of a business being held accountable for the state of someone's personal laptop.

We actually told the BSA to suck our dicks and it worked. Turns out out general counsel knew a lawyer who specifically fights against the BSA and the guy scared them off, to the point of "we consider this matter closed". Granted, we had to pay the anti-BSA lawyer about as much money than the BSA was actually asking for, but it's the principal of the thing. They're actually Microsoft, by the way, and just pretend to be a separate entity.

We weren't so lucky... Company hired a lawyer specializing in dealing with those types of cases. An extremely disgruntled ex-employee must have told the BSA quite the tall tale. Even after they found out we were nowhere near out of compliance as they had been told, they still didn't back down. They also did not believe the audits they had been provided. The company ended up settling for a handful of errant Office installs, and some stupid freeware apps with commercial use clauses in their EULA.

On the plus side, I was finally allowed to remove local admin from everyone after that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dissss posted:

I can see how you might run into that with server or SQL or what ever licenses but what type of business is buying machines that don't have their own OEM license attached?

After a brief stint in the small business/mom&pop MSP space, i've seen more than a few. For example those that have built their own machines, and in one case another that wanted to switch to Windows Pro cheaply.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dissss posted:

Even if you're the tightest company in the world that makes no sense - just buy some off lease gear and use that.

You haven't seen many mom&pop businesses obviously....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Am I right in believing that Remote Desktop is full of security holes and should never be used?

It is perfectly fine and used all the time. Just don't expose it to the public internet and you will be fine (though that could be said for any service.) I You should only access it with something else in-between , like a VPN, or an RD Gateway server (which is a VPN of sorts, but for remote desktop only).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

redeyes posted:

I've never heard of RDP being exploited directly, it's always credentials stolen in some other manner.

There where some exploits for 2k3 many years ago that would allow someone to break into a exposed system via RDP, but it was patched some time ago. I think it exploited LASS or something like that.

Still never a good idea to leave RDP exposed to the internet though regardless.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Is it still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 license by booting from an USB stick and clean installing, or do you have to through the assistive technologies update app?

The Windows 10 installer will accept any Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product key as valid. I've never had it not accept one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PirateBob posted:

My PC is running like poo poo after the latest Windows 10 update. My sound card stopped working, and the process "System interrupts" is taking up 20% CPU all the time. He;lp

Look in task manager for a process called RealTek HD Audio Manager, or Realtek Audio Control panel... End it and see if the problem goes away immediately.

I've seen just this happen on a few computers and that program was the culprit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Complete fresh install of Windows 10 1709, formatted drive and everything. Out of the box, Edge locks up clicking any sort of hyperlink. FFS Microsoft.

--edit: Oh, this again that Spectre jank?

But it's so much faster and secure than Chrome or Firefox!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, functionally, considering what the old Win32 apps did and the amount of options they had, the UWP apps are kind of a joke. I dread the day the UWP file explorer shows up.

I can see the future now.. It will be colorless and flat with no discernable edges between interface elements. Everything will be ridiculously huge with gobs of useless white space. Copy/Paste will not be available until the 4-5th update. It will only be able to operate on files in the user's directory. Anything else you have to launch "classic explorer" via the command line.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I would be really surprised if they ever close the Windows 7/81 key upgrade path.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

My favorite Windows 10 story is the time they pushed a patch down that included a new Intel display driver. This driver consistently caused a bsod about 30 seconds after boot, meaning it was a race against time to disable said driver and roll it back before the whole thing crashed. The best part - this was on a loving Surface Book. :wtc:

To be fair, the Surface Book line in general is a dumpster fire.

We stopped buying them due to the high failure rate and generally lovely driver support. To this day we still occasionally have problems with "sleep of death", pens that randomly stop working, camera that disappears, etc...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Raygereio posted:

That's some great WHQL testing.

Your making the assumption they actually do that... Because at this point it's painfully obvious they don't anymore.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

unknown posted:

We're starting to hear from offices that use o365 that now those licenses are getting hosed because the OS is inactivated.

Nothing like telling corporate people that they can't use Excel and Word until MS decides to fix it.

But.... but.... the CLOUD makes everything better!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nielsm posted:

"Not sticking" as in, Windows keeps asking you to pick which program to use? Or does it reset to something else without you getting a UI prompt to select a program?

Because if you keep getting the "Select which program to open X file with" box, it means you have some software that's trying to change file associations on its own via registry. Windows considers that as a new program has registered itself as capable of those files, so need to ask the user if they intend their new software to be used for those files, or stick with their previous choice.
Tell that software to not check whether it's set up to handle its file associations, and in general not touch them at all.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/09/microsoft-confirms-file-association-bug-in-windows-10-version-1803/

Basically attempts to change a file association are ignored in some cases if you use the normal front end way to do it. You have to change it via the registry directly to make it stick.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

c0burn posted:

When are they going to bring back some proper testing?

Never.. The end user are the testers now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Like with XP, the popularity of Windows 7 makes it easy to forget that it is almost out of extended support, as is IE, and at some point the answer will be 'upgrade or suck it, gramps'

Slightly over 2 years ago we told a vendor that we would no longer be doing business with them because their quoting/ordering/invoicing website required IE in compatibility mode and we where removing IE from our environment due to obsolescence. (their competitor has better pricing anyways, so its not like it caused any real issues for us)

I just checked and they still haven't made any moves on it. IE still required.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Tried it on both my work computers (1803 and 1809), couldn't get it to happen. Both have the Intel Graphics options added to the context menu.

On my home desktop with 1803, it does happen, but that machine has the Nvidia Control panel option. It dies down after a few seconds.

I would bet it is a 3rd party context menu handler causing it. I am pretty sure Explorer calls into any registered context menu handler on any right click in Explorer. (i.e. context menu handlers being things like 7Zip, WinZip, Nvidia, Intel, etc.. ) When these things misbehave they can cause some weird issues. (Adobe I am looking squarely at you.)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

What's wrong with Intel WiFi? I've always had a great experience with them and just like their wired NICs I consider them the gold standard as far as widely available hardware goes.

Intel had a lot of driver issues with their first few iterations of AC capable hardware. Most of it was power management related. Their forums where filled with posts of random BSODs and various other issues. Intel kept releasing Beta versions of drivers in attempts to fix issues. You had to hunt around the forum to find the links for these. The first release of Windows 10 included one of these hosed up drivers; you where almost guaranteed a BSOD if you had a Intel AC chip. It was quite annoying for me at the time, as every computer I had at home had a Intel PCI-e Wifi card.

The problems are all but ironed out at this point.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Klyith posted:

...and whatever the gently caress has been going on with their QC.

Your making the assumption here they even have QC at this point. QC is basically the Windows Insider program.. Except they still ignore major bugs found and reported by "insiders" and go ahead with the release anyways.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For modern purposes a SiliconDust HDHomeRun network tuner works great with their own software. An added benefit being that SiliconDust tuners are supported by a lot of software. And if fact you really don't need special software at all since it turns the OTA channels into RTSP streams that basically anything can display.

Plug tuner into antenna and network, run software, watch TV. That easy. Even their most basic model has 2 tuners in it, so 2 devices can use it at once.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bobua posted:

Man this speaks to me, but in all fairness has anyone in the history of computing managed an accurate progress bar?

I don't know what's more infuriating. Sitting at 99% forever, or sitting at 100% for longer than 5 seconds.

A piece of data processing software I used many years ago at work had a progress bar that would regularly go backwards.. It would trundle through folders looking for files to process, and show a indicator of how far along it was processing the files it found. But at the same time I guess it would also find more files, so the progress bar, along with the percentage would occasionally jump backwards a bit.

It was infuriating. It would have been better if it wasn't there at all.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ofecks posted:

If you have a SSD, there's no reason anymore to use sleep or hibernate. Just shut it off. Lately I've also been turning off the UPS it's attached to.

You should be rebooting at least once a day anyway.

Here is a little "secret".

Starting with Windows 8, when you "shutdown" you are not really shutting down at all. Its actually doing what amounts to a "hibernate-lite". Users are logged out and their running apps closed, but the system is then hibernated. This is called Fast Startup mode and it is always enabled by default. (This link explains it a bit more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/distinguishing-fast-startup-from-wake-from-hibernation)

To do a real shutdown and bypass Fast Startup mode, you have to hold down SHIFT while clicking on the Shutdown button. Your next boot will then be a full cold start.

Edit: I just tested this on a laptop with a SATA SSD... A boot from a normal "shutdown" its 4.5 seconds to desktop excluding BIOS post. From a cold shutdown (using the Shift key) its 11 seconds to desktop. On a spinning disk there would be a much bigger difference since a cold boot requires a ton of random accesses.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Weird... In all my time I have never seen a problem I could attribute to Fast Startup.