Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My husband gets a $199 discount on Windows through his school, and they have 7, 8.1, and 10 available.

His primary use for the computer is gaming and composing music. (Has a fancy Creative soundcard for it.)

I just built him a new machine-- should we throw 10 on it clean, or get 7 or 8.1 & upgrade? His current machine has 7 on it and works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is his price on Win 10? The price for Win 10 Home is $119 and Pro is $199 through Microsoft.

$0 after discount, no matter which version he chooses.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've run Win7, 8.1, and 10, and I would pick 10 any day.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Upgrading 7 or 8.1 to 10 will reduce whatever license type to a quasi OEM one, keyless and (technically) tied to the hardware. Buying 10 will possibly give you a retail license that has an actual key and can be transferred to a new machine in the future, I suppose. Just something to be aware of.

But I'd look up other people's experiences with that soundcard on Windows 10 first. Not that a Creative card is great for making music in general, but whatever, not the issue here.

I think I'll have him pick up 10, then. The number of issues in the Creative forums dropped off with the release of official drivers.

Thanks for the input, thread!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Really dumb question:

What do I type to get a file browser window from the start menu?

I don't always know what the name of the file or exactly where it is stored so I can't just type that.

I sometimes have to use a really bad keyboard without a windows key, otherwise I'd just hit winkey + E and not worry about it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sininu posted:

Try File, File Explorer, or just Explorer.

I get 7zip, File explorer options, and IE :derp: for those

effika
Jun 19, 2005
File Explorer options literally brings up the control panel options for File Explorer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Pinning is fine when I am at my computer, but I have to use other machines regularly.

I'll just get to it via typing a known folder for those machines.

Thanks anyway thread!