Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lum posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Win10 tablet/hybrid machines being sold with only 2GB RAM, such as the Asus Transformer Book series.

Am I right in thinking that Win10 with only 2gb is going to be utter poo poo and I should be looking at 4gb minimum?

Don't buy one with less than 4 GB if you plan to use the tablet for more than a year. You might get by with 2 GB now if you don't do much in terms of Desktop software, but down the road? It's like buying a 1 GB RAM iPad Air instead of a 2 GB iPad Air 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lum posted:

Given that this is supposed to be the last version of windows, and from now on it's free updates forever, it makes sense because otherwise those who owned retail copies of Win7, would never buy another copy of Windows again.

In Europe (or at least in the GSA area) MS - and any other software vendor for that matter - isn't allowed to bind the license to your hardware, since that's explicitly forbidden by several German High Court decisions, meaning you just have to phone them if your new/rebuilt PC doesn't accept the license and they have to reset it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Since updating my NUC to the 1709 version I have an absurd amount of CPU used for what should amount to background tasks:

Anyone seen something similar or any idea what could be causing something like that?