Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
How long should I let 10 sit at the "getting ready" step during an install before I decide something happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marinmo posted:

If you need to ask this question, something is probably wrong. I installed on an SSD from win7 in less than 30 minutes from desktop to desktop.

I eventually got it to go, but I was replacing a Vista installation and it took several tries for the win10 ssd to take. Now I have to figure out how to get my bookmarks and such out of the windows.old folder into someplace usable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lowtechs posted:

Bookmarks and such are in the AppData folder not Windows.old. Or for IE bookmarks and such in your User folder. Go to control panel and uncheck hide files.

My appdata folder was in windows.old. EVERYTHING from a Vista installation is in Windows.old. I just circumvented the problem by connecting firefox to sync, and everything loaded up just the way I had it.

In other Vista to Win10 shenanigan news, my sound stopped working after I installed an update. It didn't start working again until I did a rollback to the day before. I don't know what I'm going to do when win10 tries to reinstall the update.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I had the sound go out again, and this time I got it to come back by removing all drivers and sound devices. It's got to be a creative Labs X-FI driver issue.