Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think this happened for a day or two after upgrading my desktop to 10, but now whenever it resumes from hibernation, I first get a notification asking what I want to do with the device in the G drive, then get this window:

G is the first available letter for my computer's drives, and I don't have any extra hardware plugged in. I do have a USB cable that I leave in for my phone, but this happens regardless of whether my phone is actually connected or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Eh, I feel like I can't ever find anything on a Mac whenever I have to use one. It'd probably be better if I used one more than like once a year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Weird. I uninstalled mine soon after upgrading and it hasn't come back at all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was typing up a review for an app from the Store, and discovered that ctrl+backspace is the same as the back button, rather than deleting the last word. Is there any way to fix this absolutely stupid thing? And where else should I expect to be surprised by it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jan posted:

Run Powershell and paste "Get-StartApps | measure".

I haven't had any trouble with my Start menu (although I mostly use Launchy to launch things), but I tried this command anyway, and Powershell didnt' recognize "Get-StartApps".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I was typing up a review for an app from the Store, and discovered that ctrl+backspace is the same as the back button, rather than deleting the last word. Is there any way to fix this absolutely stupid thing? And where else should I expect to be surprised by it?

hooah posted:

I don't think this happened for a day or two after upgrading my desktop to 10, but now whenever it resumes from hibernation, I first get a notification asking what I want to do with the device in the G drive, then get this window:

G is the first available letter for my computer's drives, and I don't have any extra hardware plugged in. I do have a USB cable that I leave in for my phone, but this happens regardless of whether my phone is actually connected or not.

In addition to these two issues, I've also noticed that occasionally I'll have a notification that my Outlook account needs to be updated, or something along those lines. When I click on it, the Calendar app opens for a few seconds, then goes away, without me interacting with it. What's this about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EconOutlines posted:

For those of you having start menu issues, I've been using a program called "Launchy" since Windows 7.

Default is Alt-Space and it'll search any directory (the default is the start menu) you want.

This. So many times this. Launchy doesn't give a poo poo about Windows's changing Start Menu nonsense. The only time I used the Start Screen on 8/8.1 was when I wanted to run a program I had just installed, and Launchy hadn't updated its catalog yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My desktop was hibernating fine, but today it's woken up twice for no apparent reason. I have WOL allowed. powercfg -lastwake doesn't provide any useful information (http://i.imgur.com/EkooCfl.png), and the only wake timer that shows up is some Windows Update reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 11:16 (wtf?). I know that I might be able to find some information in Event Viewer, but that thing's pretty obtuse to me; any tips for finding what information might be there, or any other routes I should investigate?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

You can go into event viewer and right click the System log category on the left, do filter and then click the type dropdown. Check Power-Troubleshooting and run that and it'll show you all the events. (I'm going by memory here so the names might be wrong but you'll get the idea)

Thanks. Unfortunately, the sources are all unknown. It looks like most of the time the sleep is for < ~10 minutes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Venusy posted:

Find that task in Task Scheduler, right click, Properties, Conditions, uncheck "Wake the computer to run this task".

As I said, all of my sources are unknown.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Irritated Goat posted:

I have an odd usage question. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

What I want to do is this:

When PC boots up and I log in, start a copy of Chrome on Desktop 2 that contains certain sites. Does this make sense?

I don't know much about Task Scheduler beyond the fact that it exists, but that can probably get the job done.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Doesn't Chrome allow you to start it up with specific pages?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A few weeks ago, my dad updated his old-ish laptop from 7 to 10, and now in the last couple of days he says his start button isn't working with a left click; right click's fine. I've done a little searching and told him to run a sfc /scannow while I find anything more specific. I did see a post here which mentions opening up Powershell, but while it does mention that the release version of 10 has the issue as well as preview builds, the page doesn't seem to say whether the solution is still recommended for the release build. Any ideas or suggestions before I have him do a refresh?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Motherfucking Windows and its sleep issues. Up until the last couple of days or so, my desktop would hibernate just fine when I hit the power button. Now, however, I've twice watched it wake right back up after it finishes the hibernation process. How can I track down the cause of this? powercfg -lastwake doesn't provide any useful information.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Gunslinger posted:

Go to Event Viewer -> Windows -> System and look for Power-troubleshooter entries. You can create a custom view if your event log is too spammy. An older version of Teamviewer was causing problems like that so if you're using that, make sure its updated. Otherwise have fun hunting down "Allow this device to wake the computer" tabs in all 40 USB and network card drivers :(

Turns out that when I set up a WOL system, I forgot to check the box in my ethernet driver that said "only wake the system with a magic packet". No idea why it wasn't causing problems before the last couple days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Also, is there a way for the NUMLOCK to stay on once logged into windows? I have seen all the regedits to make it on during boot and on the login screen, but nothing once logged in.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying your num lock turns itself off? Or that you don't want it to be possible to turn off, even if you hit the key?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hi, guess I'd better snag a key from my school's MSDN site while I'm still here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad had upgraded his laptop to 10, but the start button stopped responding (and the menu couldn't be accessed any other way, either). I visited home today to help back things up and refresh, but it's stuck on a screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots. I've rebooted the laptop, but the same thing's still happening. How does one fix this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Do you have a copy of the Windows 10 installation media? If not, get it by downloading the Media Creation Tool. From there, make an install USB corresponding to whatever version of Windows 10 your dad's running (most likely derived from his version of Windows 7/8). Once that's done, plug the USB into the laptop and boot from it, and select "repair your computer." Try "refresh your PC", then "reset your PC."

For some reason the site's only giving him ISOs to download. For what it's worth, he's trying to create this from my mom's computer, which is Vista. Would this be causing any incompatibilities.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dead Goon posted:

You can make an install USB from the ISO using something like Rufus.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to talk him through now, although it's a huge pain since my mom's laptop is getting pretty old.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do I have to do anything to get the live tiles to ...well, be alive? I've got weather and news on my start menu, but neither seems to be doing much, even after I open the app and close it again (I dunno, maybe they needed initialization).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Edge doesn't have any extensions yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that, at least on my laptop, the cursor flickers sometimes. I've seen it while moving the cursor across LibreOffice and Thunderbird windows (fast flickering), while a LibreOffice dialog is opening (also fast), and while the cursor's stationary over Thunderbird (somewhat slower). On other windows, e.g. Trillian, Firefox, or Sumatra PDF, the cursor's fine. What the hell might be causing this? My laptop's a Yoga 2 Pro.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why aren't you using a better browser?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to print an image that's less than page-sized at 100% (i.e. without enlarging it)? I'd really rather not use the drat pictures printing dialog. I've been pasting images into a LibreOffice document, but the last update to that completely hosed printing, so I'm up poo poo creek a bit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
An option is to install whatever you have now, then do an upgrade to 10 to get your system hardware registered, then roll back. That way, you aren't limited to the one year (from the end of July I believe) of free upgrade opportunity.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to make it so when you dismiss a notification when it pops up, it doesn't hang around in the action center? It's dumb to have to dismiss things twice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lum posted:

You're better off using the Aero Lite theme from that app, it fixes so many niggles like programs not wanting to re-open at the edges of the screen because they think the new invisible window borders are meant to be visible.

I just tried this, and holy poo poo the caption buttons are ugly as hell now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That program never worked well for me; it would take forever and sometimes not even do anything, and that was on 8.1. PatchMyPC works a lot better.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, every time I wake up my laptop, the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon shows up in my system tray. I don't use it much, so I hide it behind the ^. Any idea why it forces itself to show up when the laptop wakes?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that when I wake up my laptop, some windows that were maximized become un-maximized. How can I start tracking down what's causing this? It isn't happening on my desktop, so maybe it's something with the Intel integrated graphics?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Display probably got logically disconnected - think DisplayPort turnoff.

Everything reverts to 1024x768 in a situation like that because of course it does.

Even if it's just the laptop's own screen?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Now that I've disabled the Realtek control panel from running, the Intel HD Graphics control panel is doing the same thing - unhiding itself when I wake up my laptop. Is there any reason to keep that thing running?

Also, any time I minimize Trillian, I get a notification that it's still running. I've told the Action Center not to show notifications from Trillian any more, but it doesn't seem to care. Any way to go "yes, really, silence this program"?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like before the November update, I had the "This PC" node in the left pane of Windows Explorer defaulted to collapsed, but now it's always expanded when I open a new Explorer window. I haven't had any luck Googling for a tweak for this; does anyone know how to change this behavior? It's extra-dumb since Explorer starts in This PC anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

D. Ebdrup posted:

I just noticed that Windows 10 (now?) has an option to replace command prompt with powershell in the right-click start-menu (which can also be brought up with Win+X).

Oh, nice, how do you do that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For what it's worth I've got the same laptop and haven't had any video problems that I can think of.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have that laptop and it only has an SSD. What is this second drive?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like Dropbox notifications keep turning themselves back on. Is there a way to say "really, shut the gently caress up, Dropbox" without completely disabling the Notification Center?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

taqueso posted:

After I lock the screen with Win-L, sometimes I will come back and I can unlock the system with just the keyboard. -- I hit shift and the monitor comes on, then I type the password. But other times, there is no response to the keyboard, and I have to click with the mouse somewhere on the screen. Then I can type the password. I would like to be able to unlock the system without clicking the mouse half the time.

Am I correct in thinking this is just the way it is and can't be fixed?

This happens with my laptop sometime, but I haven't noticed it with my desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Captain Novolin posted:

If it runs on 8.1 it will run on 10 and probably better.

Except for Just Cause 2, apparently. I didn't try it on 8.1 before updating, but now there are some serious graphics glitches that make the game unplayable. The company's support wasn't particularly helpful.