Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Khablam posted:

Is there actually a search replacement that's actually good?
Win 10 search makes me yearn for the days of Google desktop.

I've been using Everything for a few years and it's never let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to activate Everything from anywhere?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't need to search often enough that that bothers me. I suppose you might be able to use something like AutoHotkey to bind a key to launch Everything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was reading an article this morning on how to check your laptop battery's life, and it said to run powercfg /batteryreport, but when I tried this (Windows 10 Home), I got an error saying "The Power Efficiency Diagnostic library (energy.dll) could not be loaded." What's gone wrong here?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Riso posted:

You did open a prompt with administrative rights?

Erm, no, because that wasn't specified in the article. That got the command to work though, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can you use ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager directly?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hasn't happened on my laptop which runs Home, nor my desktop which has Pro but I didn't monkey with any GPO anything. I know, "works for me", but I just wanted to put it out there that not everyone has the poo poo pushed back down to them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Segmentation Fault posted:

New Calculator can get hosed though.

I saw people upset about the new calculator before. What's the problem with it? It seems no better/worse than the old one. Just a different skin, really. Well, plus it also has some conversion stuff which could be handy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I could have sworn that Windows 10 allowed you to scroll in background windows if the cursor was over them, but that doesn't seem to be happening now with my laptop (home edition, no sort of preview version). Did some setting get turned off somehow?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ghostlight posted:

The setting is in Settings->Devices->Mouse & Trackpad as "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

That's checked, and when that window's the foreground window, I can scroll other windows. But for some reason it doesn't work when Explorer is the foreground window, which is when I noticed it. Why would that one program be holding the scrolling hostage?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Once you've snapped a window to a location, is there an easy way to get it back to its original size/location? For example, if I snap a window to the left half of the screen, I have to snap it up twice (once to go to the upper-left corner, once to maximize), then snap down to get back to the original location and size.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ghostlight posted:

The snap hotkeys, Win+Right/Left Arrow, will unsnap back to the original location. You can even use them to 'scroll' through locations on multiple monitors - starting on the left monitor Win+Left will do the following in order: Snap to left Monitor 1, Snap to right Monitor 2, unsnapped in original location but on monitor 2, Snap to left Monitor 2, Snap to right Monitor 1, unsnapped in original location on monitor 1.

:doh: I could've sworn I'd tried just going in the opposite direction, but obviously not!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone here use the Weather live tile? Does it like to show weather from a few days ago for a second before it updates, even if it's been updated in the intervening time? Is there anything I can do to have it at least show the most recent update before it refreshes?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Eh I'm used to using the Apple+Space and Search to open everything on my Mac so I do the same on Windows but I just installed the Battle.net Launcher the other day and it didn't make a menu item in my start menu so when I hit Windows and type Battle it doesn't find anything to open.

Use Launchy. Way better than the built-in start menu search for two reasons: you can have it index whatever folder(s) you want, and it learns what you want when you type a given string, so for example "f" might always find Firefox first, regardless of its alphabetical ordering (the start menu search might do this now, I don't know).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I also don't see any ads in my start menu. Win 10 Home here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Suddenly I'm only able to connect to my desktop through RDP. I can't join the homegroup that computer started, and I can neither browse it over the network (I'm asked for my credentials and nothing works) nor over the SMB share from my Android phone. What the gently caress happened?

Edit: I should have specified that I'm not on any insider builds; this is plain old Pro.

hooah fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

I had the same problem. What fixed it was logging into the machine using COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME as the username. Might work for you.

Try a reboot too. Windows is glitchy these days.

Thanks. Combining these two worked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I get Windows Defender to automatically scan when it needs to? Currently it just pops up a notification going "Hey, I'd like to run" and I have to run it manually.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, yeah, this is my laptop so if I'm not using it I close the lid, causing it to hibernate. Will scheduling a scan with Task Scheduler properly wake it up and put it back into hibernate after the scan?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally on my laptop with Windows 10 Home, the thing that shows window previews when you hover over the taskbar icons breaks. I can fix it by clicking and dragging upwards to bring up the pop-up menu (I don't remember what it's called). Any ideas why this is happening and/or how to stop it from breaking?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Which is why Launchy is superior. Also, it learns which thing you want to run when you type say "fi", rather than always presenting things in alphabetical order.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ILikeVoltron posted:

yep, let's use 3rd party tools to solve things that worked fine in windows 7 + 8 (maybe even XP)

Except I used it on those operating systems as well because it's simply better, at least for my use case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Irritated Goat posted:

I do find it weird that out of nowhere, Search decides that "Remote" means Remote Access Management and not Remote Desktop Connection like it has for years. :sigh:

It just needs a "This isn't what I'm looking for" button to learn what you want.

Launchy supremacy (assuming you don't run into the weird bug Bieeardo saw).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Once you've snapped a window to a location, is there an easy way to get it back to its original size/location? For example, if I snap a window to the left half of the screen, I have to snap it up twice (once to go to the upper-left corner, once to maximize), then snap down to get back to the original location and size.

hooah posted:

Occasionally on my laptop with Windows 10 Home, the thing that shows window previews when you hover over the taskbar icons breaks. I can fix it by clicking and dragging upwards to bring up the pop-up menu (I don't remember what it's called). Any ideas why this is happening and/or how to stop it from breaking?

I still have both of these problems. For the snapping, the problem seems to be with full-screen windows. Say I snap a program to the left side of the screen. To get it back to full-screen, I have to either snap back right then up or up twice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

beuges posted:

Try windows-key + down arrow

Sorry for the late reply, but nope, that just makes the window fill the lower-left quarter of the screen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My laptop can't see my cousin's wifi network, but my Android phone can just fine. I set up a connection with the correct information anyway, but it didn't matter. What the hell is this about?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nielsm posted:

Maybe the network is only available on 5 GHz band and your laptop doesn't support that.

This was it exactly. Goddamn, Lenovo, put better poo poo in your laptops!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In-place, probably not. I usually move things to an unprotected place, do what I need to do, then move them back. Maybe a little less annoying than your method?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad called me this morning about his new-ish laptop. It sounds like it got switched to "use start screen" from "use start menu", but that option was already set to the latter. My mom says she didn't change anything, and the start button doesn't do anything. What the hell happened, and how can we fix this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

My dad called me this morning about his new-ish laptop. It sounds like it got switched to "use start screen" from "use start menu", but that option was already set to the latter. My mom says she didn't change anything, and the start button doesn't do anything. What the hell happened, and how can we fix this?

If anyone else runs across this, I'm pretty sure they'd somehow turned on tablet mode. At least, I see similar things happening when I enable that on my own machine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I believe it's going out to non-insiders on August 2nd or 3rd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the Anniversary Update a staged rollout of some kind? Neither of my computers says it has an update waiting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got the Skype Preview and the Solitaire thing that showed back up. I still get a notification asking what to do with the G: drive, but there's nothing plugged in that's registering as G:, so I dunno what that's about. It's been happening since I upgraded to 10 last summer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When I woke up my computer this morning, I got about two dozen of these popups:

I also got a couple of them when I opened the disk cleanup utility. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting this popup on boot ever since I originally updated to Windows 10, but this has finally passed the "major annoyance" threshold. Anything I can try other than resetting?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

havenwaters posted:

You could try to figure out what's calling the G drive/plug in a usb stick and set it to G drive with disk management and see what happens next time you reboot.

I tried setting a random USB stick to G, but it wasn't an available letter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

Probably this:

That behavior is modified by the "Hide Empty Drives" setting in explorer's view options.

Showing empty drives seems to have done away with the plethora of Explorer popups, at least. I still get one Action Center notification, but I can deal with one for now. Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

Had to do this, and yes it did fix Cortana. Now I get sweet sweet android notifications in windows.

How useful are they? Could I drop Join, which I mainly use ti text from my computer?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

HalloKitty posted:

and filters quicker based on the things I've launched before with say, a single letter.

This for me is what really sets Launchy apart from anything I've seen the Start menu search do. Launchy learns what I mean why I type a given character or two, whereas the Start menu always seems to return the same alphabetical list of hits. To be fair, I've been using Launchy almost exclusively since XP, so maybe if I gave the Start menu some time it would do the same thing?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I somehow can't get Cortana to turn back on on my desktop. I wanted to try out the Android notification mirroring, but Cortana now seems to just be a glorified search thing instead of an assistant.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If I'd remembered, I would have turned it back on. I'm looking for locations of things I might have toggled many months ago. I don't believe I did anything with the registry or the command line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of Microsoft vs. local accounts, my desktop says it's using a Microsoft account (or at least that's what I gather from the settings app having a link to sign in with a local account instead), but the password's different than if I go to say OneDrive and sign in. What the hell is that about?