Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, interesting. Will both methods grant me the ability to carry my license to new hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arsten posted:

I honestly don't know. I would check your microsoft account and see if your device(s) is registered to your account.

By checking my MS account you mean going to account.microsoft.com? I do see both of my computers there, does that mean I have digital entitlements (or whatever they're called now)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well that's a lot easier. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

When I woke up my computer this morning, I got about two dozen of these popups:

I also got a couple of them when I opened the disk cleanup utility. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting this popup on boot ever since I originally updated to Windows 10, but this has finally passed the "major annoyance" threshold. Anything I can try other than resetting?

I don't get the Explorer popup any more, but I'm now seeing the Notification thing pretty often. Almost always when I wake the computer, sometimes more than once, and occasionally if it's just sitting there not doing anything. Any other ideas, or am I going to have to refresh Windows?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since when do Defender updates required a reboot??

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shumagorath posted:

Are you sure your HDD is spinning up fast enough when you wake the PC?

I dunno, but my storage drive isn't set to G; nothing ever is, as far as I can tell. I tried plugging a flash drive into all my front USB ports (rears are a pain to get to whole the machine's on) and it was always the same letter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shumagorath posted:

Some piece of software is definitely looking for G:\, so you could try running Process Explorer or Handle to find out which one it is.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

All those tools are great and I've been using them since XP.

I've only used Process Explorer as a glorified Task Manager before; how do I investigate what drive things are looking at? I went through all the tabs for columns you can add and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

fishmech posted:

What happens if you change the drive letter on a flash drive to G: and leave it in there for a while? You can do that by following this:

This was recommended the last time I brought this up, but G isn't available in that drop-down. In "This PC", I have C-L showing (K and L being the flash drive that's currently plugged in), so those letters aren't available in Disk Management.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nielsm posted:

Actually you need Process Monitor to figure out what attempts to open G: and fails. It will log absurd amounts of data from just about anything you tell it to. Importantly it can log what file paths, registry paths etc. applications try to open, and whether they succeed or fail.

Ok, looks like Explorer.EXE and svchost.exe are the culprits; ever so helpful. Here's a Pastebin of the output saved as CSV. Does anyone see anything fishy? Should I take this over to HOTS?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ufarn posted:

Just get Ad Muncher, and maybe check your UAC level depending on your level of security obsession. Ad Muncher can obviously also block other stuff by accident, but it's great in general.

Ad Muncher doesn't seem to work with HTTPS, which I suppose makes sense. Is there anything that can be done about that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah I definitely have uBlock Origin. I also have HTTPS Everywhere, which is why I thought Ad Muncher might not be doing much.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the last couple days I've had a weird thing happening. I use foobar as my music player, and in addition to the standard media keys on my keyboard, I added an additional key bound to play/pause. Everything used to work fine, but now the extra key doesn't work when I'm playing a game (Saints Row IV if it matters), and the media keys don't work at all when I'm not playing the game. What the hell is going on, and how can I fix it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Besides making a list of all my programs and backing up anything on my OS drive, what do I need to do to prepare for a complete refresh of Windows these days?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You've responded to one of my questions about problems I'm having. I even made a HoTS thread about the unavailable drive thing. Since these problems are with Windows itself and apparently no one knows how to fix them, I figure that's the next (annoying) step.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
OneNote is actually pretty good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, good for you, but that program, at least, is pretty well-regarded in he note taking space. I agree that getting an email out of the blue is annoying, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

I described it as "utterly useless garbage", which describes very well how useful it is to me. The "note taking space" can be of many opinions, but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

Look, just because it's "utterly useless garbage" for you doesn't mean it's so for everyone in the entire world. I used it to take notes for school, and had almost no problems with it. Certainly fewer than I had with Evernote before that.

For my own question:
I recently reset my desktop, and now it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (or perhaps go back to sleep after some scheduled activity) on its own. I tested out setting the sleep timer to 1 minute and it worked fine, but I come home from work every day to find notifications from all the texts I've been involved with that day and whatever else may have happened. What could be going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I recently reset my desktop, and now it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (or perhaps go back to sleep after some scheduled activity) on its own. I tested out setting the sleep timer to 1 minute and it worked fine, but I come home from work every day to find notifications from all the texts I've been involved with that day and whatever else may have happened. What could be going on?

I just hit the power button (set to put the computer to sleep), and not five minutes later it woke itself back up. powercfg -lastwake just says the power button was the reason for the most recent wake. What the hell is going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I just hit the power button (set to put the computer to sleep), and not five minutes later it woke itself back up. powercfg -lastwake just says the power button was the reason for the most recent wake. What the hell is going on?

Now that that mess might finally be over, can anyone help with this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Might your power button be sticking or something? Try cleaning it out if you can, to see if that prevents it from happening. Also, if you have one of those computers with power/sleep/etc keys on the keyboard, that might be getting hit.

No such keys on the keyboard, but do you mean just taking some compressed air to the button and surrounds?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Yes, or popping it off if you think you can do that without breaking it.

I didn't see any way to pop it off, but I blew it out as well as I could, and it hasn't made a difference. Anything else I should check?

Also, I turned off requiring a password for my account using netplwiz. That works correctly when I boot the computer, but when it wakes up, I have to type my password again. Is some way to make it so I never have to enter the password for this computer?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still having the problem with Windows waking up after only a handful of minutes asleep. Should I just go ahead and make a HoTS thread?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

When I had that I had to disable the 'let this device wake the computer' option on the network adapter. I guess the router was poking it down the cable

Yup, that was it. I feel like a ditz because I now remember having had to do that before. Stupid router.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I completely turn of the login screen? I'm OK with the lock screen if that's absolutely required, but I don't feel a need to put my password in on my desktop at home, since obviously I'd have bigger problems if someone nefarious were in my house.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I've already done this, but while I don't get the password box when the computer boots or restarts, I presented get it when I wake the computer up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arsten posted:

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in Options. In the Require Sign In section, there's a setting called "When waking, when should Windows require you to log in?" Change the drop box to "Never"

Oh, I hadn't even though to go into Settings. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jewel Repetition posted:

Unrelated second question: is there a way to specify executables to be run when Windows 10 starts up?

Same way as always: put a shortcut (or the exe itself) in the startup folder. Find that by opening the run dialog and typing shell:startup

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I hope someone notices this post despite this stupid loving slap-fight...

My taskbar icons just started flashing off and back on today. It's a couple seconds between flashes. I've restarted my computer, but it does the same thing. What the hell is going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arsten posted:

Is it flashing in green/orange like its trying to get your attention or is it refreshing the icons, which is "blanking" the space and then showing the icon again a second or two later - possibly with a white page as the icon in refresh loop somewhere?

The first I have seen happen, but haven't heard of a solution outside of restoring the system. The second is a profile corruption. You can test if it's profile corruption by creating a new user and logging into it and surfing the web for 15 or 20 minutes or so to see if the flashing goes away.

It was the latter without blank icons, but a very quick off-on. However, it seems to have stopped right after I posted. Thanks, Murphy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

I don't like onenote.

You could try Notepad++. Even if you don't actually save the file, it keeps what you've typed between sessions as long as you don't close that particular tab.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Twice now since I started using my laptop this evening (about an hour and a half), I've seen a cmd.exe window pop up for about 5 seconds. Nothing happens in it, and there's nothing in the title bar other than cmd.exe. How can I find out what's triggering that and what it's doing?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had a similar problem once or twice having Firefox and Warframe open. I've got 8gb, but Task Manager said of about three quarters of that was in use when I got the "memory hog" popup.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I hate is the window that pops up over all other windows saying "updates are available" and there's only one button to hit which launches their metro(?) update app. I can close the metro update app and not update my system until I want but that first window is just so annoying.

I don't think I've ever seen that. Weird.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pushbullet or MightyText are the usual ones. There's also Join.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What determines when/whether the background wallpaper syncs between computers signed into the same account? I had my laptop and desktop shuffling the same set of images from a folder on the desktop, but I inadvertently set my desktop's wallpaper to some random image by hitting the wrong key in IrfanView, and now my laptop has that image as its background, even though I reverted the desktop to its usual slideshow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ularg posted:

This is kind of weird question, but does anyone know what happened to typing into windows start to use the search function? I'm way too used to hitting the windows key and typing in "Snipping Tool" "Firewall" "Updates" to quickly get around some programs and today it's just completely gone. I hit windows key and type and nothing happens. I see now there's buttons on the top left to switch from pinned apps to "All Apps" but the ability to use the search is gone.

You must have done something to Windows, because mine works that way just fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently set up a VPN on a VPS. Is there a way to get Windows 10 to automatically connect to a VPN when a user signs in and when it wakes up? I've started reading through this thing but I haven't heard of configuration service providers before so I don't know if that's a domain configuration thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using a VPN I set up via algo for about a month now. Super easy to connect to on my Pixel and my wife's iPhone. The only somewhat screwy OS so far is Windows 10. I found a batch script that will use rasdial to connect to the VPN, and I attached it to the wake power event so when my computer wakes up it connects automatically. It works great on my desktop, but not on my laptop nor my wife's. Any idea how I can fix this on the laptops?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Actuarial Fables posted:

If clicking doesn't work, try using keyboard controls. Use Tab to move to the list of processes , up/down to highlight what process you want to kill, Tab a few more times and press Space/Enter to End Task once the button is highlighted.

You can just hit delete once a process is selected.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've recently had a couple incidents where Windows (10 Pro Creator's update) tells me that I need to close programs to save memory. Thing is, when this happens I'm not doing anything more intense than I usually do - a Firefox window with ~10 tabs, a Chrome window, mail client, pidgin, music player, maybe an IDE, and the usual background cloud-syncing services. I did have this crop up while playing a game a while back, and I ran memtest86+ overnight with no issues. What else could be causing this problem? Just now it straight-up crashed Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CFox posted:

Have you messed with the pagefile? If so that's your problem.

Huh, I don't remember doing so, but it was set to 200 MB (!!). I put it back to "System managed size", so hopefully that'll help.