Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I just realized that I don't have the Spotlight thing for my lock screen on my new desktop. In fact, it's not even a choice in the personalization settings! There, I do have a red-text message saying "*Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization." I do have Education; is that somehow dicking with things?

I discovered this when I tried to figure out why my Windows account image wasn't showing up in the lock screen, and I haven't been able to figure that one out, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fishmech, you're being at least a little disingenuos. No one in this discussion has advocated never updating at all. One side seems to be arguing that security updates are totally separate from feature updates, while you seem to be arguing that all updates are security updates. I don't have any expertise regarding which is the case for Windows, but it seems to me that there could be some overlap: the big updates add new features and perhaps some security as well, but the intermediate smaller updates tend to be more like patches.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

People demanding to skip "non essential" updates quickly start skipping essential updates.

According to what? You've mentioned previous posters in this thread, but my recollection (which of course is fallible) is that they were upset about Windows rebooting at inopportune times, not saying they didn't want the updates at all (except for maybe that one guy - redeyes?). You're really being a lovely arguer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Because people who start demanding to skip some updates start skipping all.

You've said this at least three times, but you still haven't provided anything concrete to back up your assertion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Does this retpoline fix apply only to Intel processors, or would it affect AMD ones as well?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

We've been over this before. If you're doing something that absolutely cannot be interrupted you shouldn't be using a consumer version of the operating system.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

My laptop has started doing a strange thing to the foreground window when I wake it back up again. Here's an example with Firefox, which I normally keep maximized:

When this happens, the only way I can get the list of suggestions from the Awesome Bar to go away is to close Firefox. On the other hand, with Discord, I don't keep it maximized, but if it was the foreground window when I shut the lid, it becomes maximized when I unlock my laptop. Any ideas what the hell is going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Mozilla, on the other hand, consciously pushes lovely movie advertisement extensions and other "experiments" to their users.

How widespread is this? I've been using Firefox for at least ten years and I don't recall ever seeing anything like what you're describing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Was the extension they pushed to users that would send all user interactions with websites and visited URLs to a third-party also a neat easter egg?

Also, I don't like ads pushed to my browser in general, doesn't matter you think it's "neat".

Could you be more specific? What extension and when? What third party?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I recently switched to IDrive for backups, and set it to back stuff up at 11:30 PM. That seems to work fine; I see it waking the computer up in the event viewer. However, the computer doesn't seem to go back to sleep after that.
pre:
powercfg -lastwake
shows that the last wake was id_service.exe. In the system event viewer, I see logs stop about 11:40, then at at 1:36 the Background Intelligent Transfer System changes from demand start to auto, then two minutes later changes back to demand. At 3:53 disk 5 (no idea which one that is) gets surprise removed. Windows Update Client installs an update at 6:19. At 7:40, the Time-Service says "The time provider 'VMICTimeProvider' has indicated that the current hardware and operating environment is not supported and has stopped. This behavior is expected for VMICTimeProvider on non-HyperV-guest environments. This may be the expected behavior for the current provider in the current operating environment as well.", then it synchronizes with the NTP server. Then at 7:40 I unlock the computer. How do I figure out why the drat thing isn't going back to sleep?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GigaFuzz posted:

You can try
code:
powercfg /requests
to see if that sheds any light.

Windows posted:

DISPLAY:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
VR Active

SYSTEM:
[SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files (x86)\IDriveWindows\id_service.exe (IDriveService)

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
Power Manager

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Any ideas about this? For context, my computer doesn't seem to want to go to sleep on its own. I don't think it's related to IDrive, either, since I left it on in the middle of the day recently and it still didn't go to sleep. This started within the last few weeks, to the best of my memory.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Is there a way to remap the Windows key for a particular program? I've gotten very used to the IntelliJ MacOS keymap at work and I'd like to use it at home on my Windows box. It's got three keys to the left of the space bar, so it could work in theory.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raygereio posted:

You could do that with autohotkey.

Yup, I sure can!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Recently I've started getting a blank icon in my system tray. The only way I can interact with it is to move it around - right or left clicking has no effect. How can I figure out what is generating this thing and how to stop it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mozi posted:

What's the best way to prevent Windows Update Orchestrator from waking my computer from sleep every night?

No idea, but I wouldn't mind so much if it were better at going back to sleep afterwards. Definitely seems worse about that than before the last big update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Statutory Ape posted:

When I hit winkey+ start typing for search, is there a way to make that so that its only looking within my own computer and not online? idgaf if it has internet access or whatever, but I literally only want/use that function to find files that are tucked away in folders somewhere because lol if i remember where xyz.ini is, etc.

replacing that functionality with a similar one via a download or whatever is also 100% acceptable, i remember using some sort of search indexer back in w7 days for faster searches etc. dont remember the name or if any of that stuff is relevant anymore.

E: i did mess with the indexing options and stuff and added the entire drive as searchable etc and i still dont consider this a usable feature of this operating system

I still use Launchy. It's a lot like MacOS's Spotlight. You activate it with a hot key (alt+space by default) and it learns what you want to launch with a given string. You can also pick what folders it catalogs and what filetypes it pays attention to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Oh, yeah, for straight-up search Everything is the way to go. I thought you were wanting a better way to launch stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I tried it for a couple of minutes (it didn't know about my Sony WH-H900N headphones), and I didn't really notice anything that wouldn't be replicable with standard stereo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

My dad's laptop (I think it's some kind of Surface) is doing a weird thing where windows open directly to the task bar and he can't un-minimize them. This happened before and we fixed it by forcing Windows to not be in tablet mode, but that doesn't seem to be the problem this time around. What else can I have him try?

Edit: turns out the windows are opening on his external monitor even when it's off. I know we had a protracted discussion about a similar issue in either this thread or in the Windows applications thread, but IIRC that was the opposite problem - Windows wasn't putting things back into the correct monitor when it came back. What can my dad do to make Windows or everything in the laptop screen if the other monitor is off?

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 1, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

But, even the mentioned problem (someone not using their monitor) seems very much like an extreme edge case.

Maybe, I don't know. My assumption is that he uses both monitors when he's doing work stuff and just the laptop screen when he's doing personal stuff. That doesn't seem super weird.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eregos posted:

I recently installed AVG on Win 10, ran a scan and it found 1 possibly infected file, an (or maybe the only?) SVCHost. I impulsively quarantined it in a second, knowing it was a system file, thinking it would probably be fine, and if not a safe boot or at worst system repair would fix things. Got a bluescreen a few seconds later, and on every normal startup thereafter. Even booting to safemode and repairing the system didn't work, claimed there were no integrity violations (lol). Saw two approaches: 1. Download and replace the SVChost, after finding which one(s) needed it. 2. Restore from a recent Acronis backup. Went with #2.

Switched to Bitdefender as free AV now. It really shouldn't be that easy to break a Win10 system. Worst 1 second thought mistake I've made in a long time. Both AVG and Microsoft can do better than that. Looks like a false positive anyways as Bitdefender found nothing.

Uninstall BitDefender and just use the built-in antivirus.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't have the required experience with other virus scanners at home, but we used Nod32 at work. It was definitely better than Windows defender.

Better how?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Firefox has a slow rendering engine and doesn't have basic features like multi-language spellcheck. It's pretty terrible.

I have no comment on either of these complaints ("works fine for me"), but it's the most standards-compliant browser. Google's sure as hell looking to pull what Microsoft did in the 90s with IE in terms of market share > standards.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Is there any value in enabling BitLocker if my motherboard doesn't have a TPM chip built-in? It's got headers to connect one, but I have no idea where to even get one or how to evaluate them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

What type of CPU do you have? If you have a modern AMD CPU, you can enable the fTPM feature in the Bios, as those CPUs come with a built-in TPM.

And if you don't, it's still going to encrypt just the same - but you'll have to either use a USB drive to unlock or enter your password right after boot (probably the option you're after).

I've got a Ryzen 2600. I'll check my BIOS, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Can I upgrade from Home to Pro without having to reinstall everything? I just learned that Docker won't run on Home and it'd be nice to be able to do dev stuff on my laptop as well as my desktop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Double Punctuation posted:

Yes; just change the product key in settings and it will work automagically.

Great! Off to SA Mart I go, then.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Double Punctuation posted:

Yes; just change the product key in settings and it will work automagically.

Hmm, the settings dialog isn't accepting the key I bought from the SA-mart guy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I'm trying to get an Ubuntu VM running in VirtualBox, but I get this error when I try to start it:
pre:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine CosmoQuest Ubuntu.

Call to VidMessageSlotMap failed: Last=0xc000000d/87 (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? This is Windows 10 Pro. I've tried twiddling various virtualization settings per this StackOverflow post but no dice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

i vomit kittens posted:

I have nothing pinned to either my taskbar or Start Menu and open everything via WoX because I am a crazy person who can't leave macOS's spotlight search behind.

Same here. I recently switched from Launchy ('cause it seems like it's dead) to Keypirinha. I never even used Spotlight before I got a Mac at work two years ago. It's just so much easier than hunting through the Start Menu all the time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Recently my computer has stopped putting itself back to sleep/hibernate after waking up to check for updates ("Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer."). My power settings say to put the computer to sleep after 15 minutes and hibernate after 30. What could be causing this, and how can I correct it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wane tendo posted:

i'm going to test this when i get home but does anyone know if Win10 virtual desktop supports separate network configs per desktop?

since i'll be working from home for the foreseeable future (THE VIRUS) i'm hoping to have one configured through my company's VPN and one on my standard connection.

Pretty sure they're just ways to organize windows, nothing more. I could be wrong, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I upgraded to 2004 last night (that sounds weird). Is there anything I need to do to change from WSL1 to WSL2, or does that happen automatically?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol fukken dumbasses.

: "What should we make the shortcut?"
"How about alt+space? That's not already taken, right?"
"Yeah prolly not. Good idea!"

I've been using Spotlight-like programs for over a decade with alt+space as the shortcut and never had any collisions. What else uses that shortcut?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Two of the last three times I've woken my desktop, it's had me put in my BitLocker key. Why is it doing that and how do I get it to go back to not asking?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I'm currently playing an old game that automatically unchecks the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" box in System Properties -> Visual Effects. Is there some way to automatically re-check the box when the game ends?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fallom posted:

The Windows 10 Mail app is refusing to show an attachment in an email sent to my Gmail account that shows up just fine in the Outlook app on my iPhone. What the heck!?

I had this exact same problem and ended up ditching the Mail app for Mailspring.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Is there a way to tell how long a laptop has been unplugged for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I'm trying to upgrade my laptop from Windows 10 Home to Pro. I got a key from a goon in January and successfully upgraded my old laptop, but the activation window won't accept that key, nor any of the generic ones. I had some issues with the previous upgrade, and the seller said to use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade, but choose "I don't have a product key" during installation. That option doesn't come up anymore. How can I upgrade?