Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I reserved Windows 10 on my gaming PC and it says "ready to go!" but unless I hit Go, it hasn't updated automatically to 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Since this is a new thread, I guess i'll ask here again:

Anyone find a fix for Windows 10 not putting monitors to sleep?

Someone said it was a bug in Teamviewer, so if you have that, uninstall and see if that helps.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My HP laptop has battery issues in Windows 10. If I shut the laptop off, the battery keeps draining. Every single god drat time I power it up it has 0% battery and needs to recharge. And yes, I'm shutting it down and not putting it in sleep or hibernation. It's nuts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

If it's completely powered off the OS has nothing to do with the power drain, unless I'm missing something.

Worked perfectly fine in Windows 8.1.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Then your shutdown isn't actually powering off your laptop. Are you shutting down then immediately closing the lid?

That's exactly what it sounds like. I've experimented by shutting it down then letting it sit there with the laptop open for hours. I shut it down at 100%, then a half day later I power it back up and it's at 20%.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

What happens if you just hold the power button down to turn it off? See if it still drains that was as a test.

Good call. I'll try that out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

What happens if you just hold the power button down to turn it off? See if it still drains that was as a test.

This worked. If I hold the power button to turn off the laptop, then it is legitimately off and the battery doesn't get drained. if I power it down via Windows then the battery drains.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

I had a feeling this would be the case, but I was hoping it wouldn't. Windows isn't halting the computer at all.

Trying running shutdown /s from a command prompt and see if it experiences the same problem. One other question. Are you using any start menu replacement?

Shutdown /s worked great too. And no start menu replacements.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Burn it all down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xamphear posted:

Yep. I mentioned it a ton of pages ago. You have to uninstall the appx entirely via PowerShell to make it go away for good, I think. Run these two commands in an elevated PowerShell and it should delete them for good.
code:
Get-AppxPackage|? name -like *MicrosoftOfficeHub*|remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage|? name -like *SkypeApp*|remove-appxpackage

If you don't want to gently caress around in Powershell, or have other built in apps you want removed, download this free app:

http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

Works great getting rid of that junk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Since the upgrade, my laptop won't actually turn off when I tell Windows to shutdown. I have hibernation and hybrid sleep and whatnot turned off, yet when I shut it down, it appears to do so, then stays on. What the gently caress.

Yeah my laptop does the same thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not having tabs in an Explorer window is some bullshit though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Then buy a real copy of it and move it to any computer you want. It's not that hard to understand.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Or just buy the OS and get over it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you have WSUS you don't see that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rahu posted:

I have my windows update set to check automatically and let me choose when to download/install update.

The windows 10 thing was a big screen I had to click through to get past to show the real update list instead of just the windows 10 upgrader. Then when i clicked it "Windows 10 Pro Upgrade" was listed as an optional update and automatically checked.

The updates marked "important" were still there but unchecked by default.

:bravo:

Yes, it's like this on domain-connected computers too. Even if you have WSUS, if you don't disable checking updates from Microsoft, it shows up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Why would you even have WSUS if you're going to let people check for Microsoft updates.

Because people really don't. WSUS lets me control what patches I push down and then the system auto installs it. People are lucky if they can change their default printer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It seems to me they're using it as an excuse to remove functionality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't like how the upgrade puts on the lovely apps that I already removed such as XBox. I removed this on my domain PC for a reason Microsoft.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Lum posted:

I think it might be an Asus thing. That tablet got wiped and reinstalled (switching from US to UK English requires a clean install apparently) and it also downloaded and installed some Asus bloatware from Windows Update.

It's an Asus thing. Didn't happen to the half dozen computers I upgraded.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My test machines at work have Windows 10 Pro on them. I updated them through Windows Update to the new Nov upgrade. It added loving Candy Crush to the start menu. I uninstalled it, and logged in as a different user. Candy Crush is back. Awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Lum posted:

Asus tablet by any chance?

Unrelated question. Any way to make the Intel HD 530 drivers not crash all the time?

No, HP desktops. I also upgraded my text Windows 10 virtual machine in ESX. That also got Candy Crush.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Why... what? Did you "like" a Candy Crush score on Facebook, and the OS decided to help you out?

Most definitely not. Especially not on the VM I was planning on pulling into SCCM as an image.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Does 10 allow you to output audio to multiple devices? I'd upgrade right now if it meant I didn't have to constantly switch back and forth between my speakers and the TV.

No, it's still a hassle.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

windsor posted:

Threshold 2 dumped a Windows.old folder onto my drive. Apparently you're supposed to run Disk Cleanup to remove it, but it's not listed there...

Edit: Had to click "Clean System Files"

Yes, that's normal when you install new editions of Windows, which apparently these update are.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I finally caught a break with it. I made a Windows 10 image for my company from a clean 1511 ISO right before they revoked it, and with Produkey I'm able to grab the Win8 key out of the BIOS and paste it straight into the Activation tab to get these all upgraded now. Still have another couple hundred laptops at work to go through but it beats the previous slog of doing an in-place Win8 upgrade to 10, then reimaging to the pre-configured 10 image then praying that it would magically decide to activate some time over the next few days.

Imagine an alternate universe where Microsoft said "free Windows 10 for everyone, here's the ISO, it's pre-activated!" Would that have been so horrible?

You have that many workstations and no KMS?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

oversteer posted:

So after 1511 installed, "All your files are where you left them" ... "Notice: CPU-Z was not compatible and was removed". Sure enough, it's gone

Windows just uninstalls third party apps it doesn't like? :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Yeah that's been known.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it would be preferable for me if I could just tell the computer to never bother me with pop up warnings. God drat.

There are security settings for this inside PowerPoint.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

In other news, is there any way to keep things like Get Office and Skype Video and the Solitaire Collection from coming back after seemingly every update? I think I've uninstalled them six or seven times so far.

Wish I loving knew this too. I still get Candy Crush every time on my domain joined Windows 10 PC whenever a new user logs in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Don't do this as it will remove ALL provisioned apps.

Makes sense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to say. "Use a different OS". OK yeah let me quit my Windows admin gig and go full linux because I dislike how Microsoft is pushing loving Candy Crush down on each user without me having to gently caress around with the registry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Whizbang posted:

If you're still having problems with Candy Crush, you weren't a good Windows admin anyways.

This is basically the only way to fix it:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off.aspx

Also it's just with build 1511, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. It's not like it's been an issue since the original win10 release.

And of course you have to install build 1511 specific ADMX templates to even see the GPO.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So I removed a bunch of apps via Powershell so they wouldn't be on any user logins. Now when I login as a new user, I see this in the start menu:

Any idea how to remove those 5 on the bottom? Right-click has nothing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 home and what the gently caress why did Microsoft think "clean install" means to include loving Candy Crush and a poo poo ton of other shitapps that I'm never going to use? Is there really no way to do a barebones install with no added bullshit?

Only with an Enterprise license. By the way, if you remove those, they get pushed down automatically. You need to block them via local GPO.

Yeah it's hosed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Or just remove it and get on with your life.

You remove it, it'll be pushed back down by MS within days.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

So here's a fun thing.

Windows 10's disk cleanup is stupid and doesn't work for poo poo.

I kept getting low disk space alerts for my SSD (which is 256GB; not huge, but not tiny), calling out many many gigglebites of "Temporary Files" with no other description. Clicking the handy Clean Up Files button did gently caress-all, and using the Windows disk cleanup utility was similarly useful (read: not at all).

Saw a MS forum post about using CCleaner (which I hadn't installed in quite some time on this system), and that worked a treat. Dumped 185GB of poo poo, and now I'm where I want to be.

After you ran Disk Cleanup, did you click the Clean Up System Files button? Then it will remove old updates, old system install files, etc. It actually works great so it's you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've recently started using a VPN, and it's broken a bunch of Microsoft services on my desktop; Office (both 2013 and 2016), Groove Music, News, Weather and the Xbox app can't sign in because they apparently can't see my internet connection, despite the News and Weather apps updating content over the internet just fine. OneDrive seems to be able to log in just fine, as can everything non-Microsoft related. Also Chrome is detecting me as being in Germany for some reason, despite the VPN being set to the UK, but I suspect that's a different issue.

I've tried Googling for solutions, but I mostly found a bunch of Enterprise solutions that went over my head. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is it AnyConnect and does your work push down Cisco Web Security with it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MaxDuo posted:

gently caress Netgear. About 3-4 months ago my old TP Link usb wireless stick started messing up so I got a USB stick by Netgear based off of a bunch of test results and reviews. I get this new usb stick and joyfully find out that it barely works with Windows 10. For a while I just ran a cable across the house to my computer, but that's not an option at my new place so I'm back to having to unplug and replug the usb for wifi every 10 minutes to 2 hours or so.

Are there any wifi usb adapters that actually work in Windows 10? Every thing I look up either doesn't work... or I'll see stuff saying it works, but then people saying it doesn't work for Windows 10.

Meanwhile Netgear has sad numerous times "Our windows 10 drivers are coming!" and the only drivers they have that are listed as Windows 10 are the same Windows 8 drivers from 2014.

I've used this at work with Windows 10 without issues:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704141&cm_re=usb_wifi-_-33-704-141-_-Product

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Listerine posted:

Yep, I just opened my start menu after your post and there it is.

Yes, I've been seeing that for months. It's annoying as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'll take a screenshot the next time it comes back. Just on the Start menu like the stupid Xbox tile.