Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm on Pro and I've seen it on 3 of my machines at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

thebigcow posted:

I have a PowerShell scheduled job to look for and kill the gwx process every half hour or so.

I need to discuss this solution with you when I'm back from vacation. Sounds great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SinineSiil posted:

Windows 10 keeps automatically installing wrong audio driver for my laptop that's broken and overriding working driver. Is there anything at all that I can do to stop it?

Google how to turn off automatic driver installs in Windows 10. There is a setting for this. If you do this though you'll have to manually install all drivers such as printers, mice etc if you plug anything new in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I believe Defender will scan when nothing else is going on, or minimal CPU usage. If you turn your PC on, play games, then turn it off it won't scan. If you leave it on all night, it'll scan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't think so, but you can try and see what happens.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

On all the Windows 10 builds, I could hit the start button, start typing and poo poo would appear. Now nothing appears with the latest build. Anyone else experience this?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nope, no f.lux here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xylo posted:

index may be rebuilding. seems to do every update. how long since you upgraded?

2 hours. Good call though, I'll check in the morning.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Space Cadet posted:

Well the only issue I had was losing access to the system for an hour at a time not of my choosing. Had I been doing anything critical or lost a paper or had an exam timeout I would have been pissed, imagine going to your prof begging for another chance to rewrite a quiz or exam because Windows hosed you over.

That's bullshit. Save your work. The power can go out too. If you're in the middle of something, you can choose to postpone the update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

taqueso posted:

That's bullshit. I have a UPS and expect my desktop to continue functioning, even if I'm away.

You should re-adjust your expectations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New build puts a shield icon in the system tray for Windows Defender.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I don't see it on my laptop...

You have the build that came out today?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Windows Pro Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

Yeah that's a known bug with the new build.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Even my main gaming PC is on the Fast Ring and I've had zero issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xamphear posted:

LTSB. I don't want to do full upgrade installs more than once a year, tops. Even once a year is pushing it. Upgrade installs have certainly gotten a lot better over the years, but they still result in a bunch of effort after the fact. With any luck the anniversary upgrade will have stopped stealing default program associations and I'll have completely sidestepped that minor shitshow.

It won't and its not that loving hard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Microsoft released a tool to troubleshoot the Start Menu in Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/21/fix-windows-10-start-menu/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

http://betanews.com/2016/06/22/windows-10-insider-preview-build-14371/

New build details. Included is an "Activation Troubleshooter" that will fix activation issues if you replace hardware.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I had a motherboard go bust and couldn't get my Windows key to activate with the replacement. Called em up and they sorted me out. I'm guessing you can do the same with Windows 10, they really don't give a poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Lowtechs posted:

Man MS is really rolling out new builds on the insider fast track lately.

Every other day it seems. Wonder if ISP's are gonna complain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My mother tried to run the upgrade from 7 to 10 the other day, and it failed for whatever reason so it reverted back to 7.

I won't be able to get out there and do it for here before the 29th.

Is there any chance that the fact that she at least tried to do the upgrade already registered her hardware profile with Microsoft, and that a clean install will activate after the 29th?

(there's nothing I can do regardless so I'm more curious than anything else)

Pretty sure no. It doesn't activate until after installation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Know what would be cool? If Windows realized I already have Office installed and gently caress off with putting the Get Office app on my start menu and hassling me on every god drat build.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Massasoit posted:

I only have local profiles in my machines. Is there any real benefit to using a ms account?

Syncs some of your settings, login to the store, a few other benefits. Nothing major, but it's easy so it's not really a big deal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

http://betanews.com/2016/07/28/windows-10-anniversary-update-takes-back-control/

quote:

With the Anniversary Update installed, certain policies will be marked as only being available to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs. If you’re using Professional you’ll be able to make the changes, but nothing will happen.

Following the update you cannot turn off Microsoft consumer experiences -- this, among other things, allows users to block personalized recommendations from Microsoft. Or adverts, to put it another way.

Yay...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're running Pro with over 300 seats. We get it with our HP computers. Buying Enterprise with SA is fuckoff expensive and management won't approve the cost. We're lucky we have Office + SA.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have all that poo poo turned off in my image, waiting for a patch that turns them back on and then greys out the toggle to turn them off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

So, uh, does the Anniversary Update still require one of those 30-minute update cycles that renders the PC useless? Or in their year of planning have they maybe actually gotten it to upgrade within Windows Update with just a normal reboot required?

No, it's basically a reinstall of the OS. I just finished it. Went quick and it give the option to keep my programs and files, which I did.

It did reset some of my settings so I had dumb bullshit like Candy Crush again and Get Office, so I had to turn that poo poo off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

So am I reading correctly that I'll have to toggle all the dumb privacy/telemetry/screenshotting bullshit off again after updating?

Yes. I tested it on my work laptop and a virtual machine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have app suggestions turned off. Looking good -

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

hooah posted:

Is the Anniversary Update a staged rollout of some kind? Neither of my computers says it has an update waiting.

I downloaded it from our volume license site so I can test. Not waiting for Microsoft Update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Biodome posted:

I just installed Windows 10 for the first time on my new PC and I see a lot of useless poo poo like Candy Crush on here. Is there a guide to removing all the bullshit or should I just not worry about it?

You can right-click the icon and choose Uninstall. This works for most things, except for like the XBox app for some hosed reason. This needs a powershell command to uninstall.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

nielsm posted:

Go into Settings > Personanization > Start, and you can turn off "Occasionally show suggestions" option, which is the "slather over my Start menu with advertisements" one.

I have that disabled and I still get the bullshit that I posted up top.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

c0burn posted:

Just updated (Pro) via Windows Update, not the ISO or MCT. I confirm there's no candy crush poo poo installed, and it hasn't changed any of my toggles turning things like tips in lockscreen, suggestions in start back on.

Thanks for verifying this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Make sure you run Disk Cleanup after the update. Cleaned up 27 gigs on my system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Fun.

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-anniversary-update-from-installing-candy-crush-and-other-unwanted-apps/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

I think Cisco actually charges for your work to update the clients. Hence why they have so much trouble with Windows updates.
[/

[quote="dpbjinc" post="463422805"]
I think Cisco actually charges for your work to update the clients. Hence why they have so much trouble with Windows updates.

AnyConnect v3 worked fine on Windows 7 and mostly with 10 but it wasn't supported. AnyConnect v4 requires new licensing which of course is more costly. V3 is end of life pretty soon. If you go from like 3.0 to 3.1 that's no charge.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Windows 10 build allows Xbox app removal. About drat time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

I did the manual download of the last patch that stalled for a lot people, but it seems to have broken Windows Update.
It can no longer install Defender definitions, they always fail after downloading with "KB2267602 (Definition 1.227.2825.0) - Error 0x80070643"
If I try update from the Defender app window, it says there was a network connection issue.
Pulling the full 130 MB definitions update file manually works, but gently caress doing that every day or so.

Already tried purging the WU cache and restarting the services, and MS'es troubleshooter did nothing unsurprisingly :unsmith:

One thing I found that works is 1. Reboot and then 2. install the Microsoft Update Readiness Tool.

It's like a half gig and installs some patch that fixed my updating issues.

poo poo, this was for Windows 7 not Windows 10. Nevermind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you open the Store app and go to settings you can turn off automatic download of apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it need to hit the Internet at all? Firewall it off, manage updates through WSUS.

Pfft, set a GPO to set the update server to some garbage and it'll never get updates. Then you can change it later if needed.