Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Windows Update is borked on my machine. I've had "Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586" available since November 12, but nothing has downloaded. Instead the instance of svchost.exe associated with Windows Update has taken 100%+ of a CPU core constantly for the last week.

Today I got tired of waiting and downloaded the installation media creator linked earlier in the thread. It hung at "checking for updates" for an hour, at which point I cancelled the update process. I have now been staring at "Setup is cleaning up before it closes. This may take a few minutes" for the last 20 minutes.

What's the next step? I am tired of my laptop being an expensive battery-powered space heater with poor battery life (thanks to the CPU core constantly running, my previously 8-10 hour battery life is about 2).

Edit: Third time is the charm, apparently. The first two attempts saw the process fail at "checking for updates", but the third time worked. I am gaining new understanding of my parents' relationship with computers, and it both scares and frustrates me.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU