Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Skarsnik posted:

I do wish people would stop posting those lovely tinfoil 'guides'

Lifehacker did a privacy setting walkthrough that doesn't look like a Dr. Bronner's Soap label, if you'd prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BattleCattle posted:

Ah! Cortana stopped responding when I yelled at her through my microphone. I think I may have hurt her feelings.

Anyway, is there a way to get her to set a timer? Tried to cook a pizza for 22 minutes, she just sent me to google.

The closest thing she'll do for you right out of the box is "Set an alarm for (x) minutes from now." Since it's an alarm, it even gives you a snooze button in the notifications.

I made the transition last night. After reading about all the painless upgrades, mine just had to be one of the ones that was ugly as mud soup. For awhile, it was like sitting up with a sick friend.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Truga posted:

Explain how not wanting to send my metadata to microsoft is bullshit tinfoilhattery.

Just to be clear, is this mainly a combination of the lack of transparency thing and the whole "being Microsoft for the past 25 years" thing? Or is that redundant?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Truga posted:

I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

Don't apologize. I asked an honest question, you gave me an honest answer.

But it does kind of underline the type of weirdness that's going on right now with Win10, when MS takes a look at Google/Android and they decide they want to be a little of that, but still mostly Windows, with all the baggage that implies. It feels like they're trying to jam the two cultures together and so far it's a rough transition. It's obvious from the way they're pushing Office 365 that they've fallen in love with software by subscription, though. Considering the free upgrades, that's expected. Gotta subsidize it somehow.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The Start Menu's no more special than any other universal app; it just happens to link to the start button on your desktop/tablet/keyboard.

That actually brings up something I've been wondering about. When Cortana stops working (partially or totally), you can open the Task Manager, end the Cortana task via the Processes tab, and it'll reload itself and (if you've made the right blood sacrifices) fix the problem without a reboot.

It occurred to me after the last time I had to do this that if Start's just another app now, the Cortana trick should be a thing we'd be able to do when the Start button spins into the wall. But if that's the case, the right process isn't nearly as obvious.

So what's the process that shits the bed when Start shits the bed (the one that isn't helpfully labelled Start in Task Manager), and how stupid would I have to be to even consider trying this?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

For WiFi connections, Win10 lets you set a connection as metered through Network & Internet > WiFi > Advanced Options. My understanding is that wireless connection flagged as metered only downloads priority updates, but since they most definitely don't give you the toggle switch option with Ethernet (at least that I can find), I have to take Microsoft's word for it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Dont buy it. Get an outlook.com email address then sign up for the Insider Preview and get a free, legal to use copy of the OS from Microsoft as a courtesy for being first to test updates and having less ability to lie to yourself that they aren't sending a ton of telemetry back through Cortana that they are also sending back via recent win7 and win8.1 updates.

Its an adequate, serviceable program launcher, file manager and device driver control centre. That doesn't make it worth paying for when the option to not to exists.

In the future, should MS ever kill this incarnation of the Win 10 insider preview or if you fall in love with the OS and want to contribute to Gabe Aul's next bonus, then go right ahead and pay at that point.

"Try before you buy" software from Microsoft is finally here! Don't pass it up, as it may only survive as long as the Nadella reign continues.

Which begs the question: Would you stick by this advice to go with the Insider Preview program (and thus installing a patch-testing OS) if you figured in the whole "this will be a system for Bruxism's dad" part of the equation?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

dissss posted:

How big of a download is this accursed November update?

It's really, really inconvenient when it decides to download on connection that is not only slow but also metered (yes I know you can set it to metered which I have for now but this is not an acceptable solution)

Captain Novolin posted:

2 seconds of googling shows that it's about 3 gb. Also how is setting windows to view your connection as metered not a solution for having a metered connection

The hidden install folder on my system is 3.95 gigs today, but before the install it was close to 6.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

The quick fix is to right click on Cortana in the Task Manager processes tab and end the process. Cortana auto-restarts and then you're good...for a while, anyway.

This doesn't fix the actual problem (whatever it is, and it probably will keep coming back), but it makes the symptom go away for a little bit.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

This is the first Win10 install that didn't end the process by dumping me into a broken desktop. That definitely counts as an improvement, but the afternoon is young.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Well, Creators is the first major update that didn't drop me into a busted desktop on the first boot up, so already we're ahead by leaps and bounds.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Last year the battery on my UPS blinked out when I stepped away from the PC one day, and after that the quick start login blue screened the system at every other login attempt. I switched off the quick start and left it off until the big fall update switched it back on and made it work correctly again.

So I'm leaving it on until I have to turn it off again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Hybrid Sleep could have prevented data loss from this (well, if you use sleep at all, I guess).

Everyone else, kill fast startup if you like, but leave hibernate alone.

Yeah, sleep wasn't part of my power saving plan, and maybe that had something to do with it, but I guess somehow the UPS failure killing the power to my desktop gunked up the hibernation file that Fast Startup uses. Still, for troubleshooting purposes it was a easy-to-recognize pattern. A blue screen on a quick login, which happened after entering my password, was followed by a restart to a full-length boot-up, which took me to the desktop with no further issues. The next session (because yes, I power down at the end of each day...old habits die hard) repeated in the same way. So I switched off Fast Startup, since that was where the symptom popped up, and that particular problem went away.

Anyway, that was a year and a half ago, and the big fall update turned Fast Startup back on without the issue coming back. So I'm cool where I am.

(e: just to underline that it looks like I'm the only one in this discussion who doesn't use a laptop. Lack of hibernation when you're running off of battery power most of the time is a gateway to madness.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 22, 2017

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Two of the folder-wiping instances they tracked down involve using OneDrive as a backup. As if Dropbox didn't look good enough already...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Im_Special posted:

What's it do? Could you describe it, I've never seen it work.

Did you set your location in the Weather app? Because you might have to do that, or at least that's the first troubleshooting step.

For what it's worth, the News tile is the one that takes its sweet-rear end time refreshing on my end of things.

Also about half a dozen tiles connected to third-party apps.

e: and then I tried to load the app itself and suddenly all of that went away. :argh:

But the second time was a charm...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 24, 2019