Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

nielsm posted:

Wait, if I upgrade now, then replace my motherboard in 2 months, will my license be invalid?
Probably yes. You might still be able to reinstall using a Windows 7 or 8 key, but officially your motherboard is the computer, and the license is bound to the computer. So new motherboard means you must purchase a new license.

just for reference, i just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, and then two hours later moved the SSD from one computer to a freshly built one with a new motherboard. once it booted it said windows 10 was not activated, and the troubleshoot feature didn't work, so i just said ok i have a product key and put in my win7 key and it activated

for my question: is there a way to move the notification bar to my secondary monitor? i want my discord notifications popping up where my taskbar is (on the right monitor), but my default monitor is the left one because that one is slightly better for gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah, i just figured if i was going from one mobo to another that it would get angry but it didnt

ah ok. some games dont really want to let you do it so i guess ill just deal with discord notifications on the wrong window

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there a way to make windows stop moving all of my windows from my secondary monitor to my primary one when i turn them off at night? this didnt happen in win7 and ive been trying to find a setting for it, but everything that might help is for what seems to be a different, better version of windows 10 that has been destroyed

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

HDMI or DP doesn't make a difference, both have this issue.

I've seen the option to disable "deep sleep" on some Asus monitors, which alleviates the problem.

i switched to HDMI to test this and it does not have the issue. unfortunately, maybe because i have a 970, i can get at most 100hz out of HDMI

HalloKitty posted:

Don't turn the monitors off manually, set a timeout. Also, don't use DisplayPort, unless you need some of its features; HDMI will probably not cause this issue

Klyith posted:

So if the problem is only happening when you turn the monitor off: don't do that. The windows lock screen will power save the monitors after 1 minute, so press win+L if you leave the PC on 24/7.

for some reason, no matter what i do or how i change the power saving plans, i can't get windows to put the monitors to sleep over any period of time. if i put the entire computer to sleep by just pressing the button on my keyboard that does it, so maybe thats what i'll do

edit: tried closing every program in case one of them was keeping it awake, tried disconnecting my mouse

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 28, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i have a single folder on a pretty new SSD that has a ton of images in it that ive collected over the years. on windows 7 this thing popped open quickly every time. now that im using windows 10, it needs like 20 seconds to load the entire thing every single time. is there a button or setting somewhere i can push that caches the drat thing so it behaves more like 7 than whatever its doing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dunno if this belongs here or the ios thread because it seems to be about 50/50, but is there a way that i can have an interface on my win10 pc that allows me to see and send my iphone's sms and imessages?