Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
What is the reason that MS gives for not supporting the processor at all? Would security updates on those systems somehow cause actual hardware or software errors that aren't easy to get around? It doesn't really make sense that it would, but it also doesn't make sense that Intel would withhold device drivers just to appease Microsoft's future plans for Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Rexxed posted:

In addition to nailing down what the hell is using the HD non stop, you can recover Office keys from 2010 and before with https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
2013 and above associate with your MS account, so you can log in and download and install them whenever: https://www.office.com/myaccount

The non 365 versions don't associate with your MS Account; at least Office 2016 doesn't. You'll have to manually keep track of it (there is probably a utility for this too). I've actually had huge issues trying to keep Office 2016 activated and I've begged MS to allow me to associate it with my MS Account but they refuse. This is through the MS HUP thing, so that might a reason for that too.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Rexxed posted:

That's weird, I just installed 2016 for a client and had to login and give MS the key to activate it on their website. After install I had to log into their MS account to activate office.

I've been trying to find something online to back up my experience, but it seems everyone has the opposite trouble. It forces them to make an account and there's no other way. What sucks is that after about a day of usage it forgets that it is activated and I have to go through the activation process again (just inputting the key and clicking activate), I've used MS tech support but they've been useless. I did just find the office set up page, so I'll try that later to see if maybe the MS reps just didn't know what the gently caress (very likely).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Today's Windows 10 ExperienceTM is brought to you by OneDrive!

After a big update, the OneDrive service decided to not be installed on my main PC any longer, then after I got it installed again and running at startup, it got confused, looked at the folder full of pictures I'd spent a lazy Sunday afternoon downloading that hadn't yet been uploaded and made them all vanish forever. Nothing in recycle bin both local and online, just gone forever on all my devices.

Thanks Windows!

Use a file recovery program and it should hopefully be able to recover them since the sectors probably haven't been overwritten yet. That's crazy though and has always been a huge worry of mine with any of the cloud stuff.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

So I have had to disable fast boot (wtf is even the point of this when I have a Samsung 850 evo as my boot drive?? Boots in 2 seconds either way) for my laptop after every update otherwise using shutdown will leave my laptop without any juice next boot (yet another great idea MS).

That by itself is annoying but at least I can fix it. Now with the latest updates I am getting the no juice on the next boot problem but now I can't find any options for fast boot and hibernate is disabled. Is there a workaround for this? Is anyone else dealing with this or is it my imagination?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

My main use for notepad is to unformat copied text into plaintext before I paste elsewhere. I do that routinely when copying tables and such because the tab delineation seems to be preserved more often that way and I can then paste it into Excel.

I am sure MS will find a way to gently caress notepad up but I am more worried that they're wasting time improving it when there are much larger fish to fry. Like getting scaling right...seems like they've given up on that dream.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Lambert posted:

For permanent Shift-Shutdown, simply disable Fast Startup in Power Options (old Control Panel).

This has been my go to in previous versions but with the latest update I no longer can even find options for it to enable/disable. If I do Start > Shutdown in the latest version I get the same thing of "shutting down" a fully charged laptop and then a week later finding the battery almost dead.

I had this issue when I first got the laptop (it came with win 10) and disabling fast boot solved the issue. But with the latest version I can't find that option anymore and disabling/enabling hibernate doesn't do anything to fix the battery drain issue or make the fast boot option appear (and of course I am clicking on the view advanced options link).

As to the claim that fast boot shouldn't be causing the issue I have read elsewhere that fast boot is a hybrid hibernation and still stores stuff in ram and thus does use power. This jives with my experience with the issue and other guides out there recommending to disable it because of that issue.

However, if it truly shouldn't be using power for that then there is still something else going on that used to coincidentally be solved when also disabling fast boot (or doing shift shutdown).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I'm familiar with electronics in general as well as electrochemical cells. The effect of a bad cell will depend on how they're wired into a battery (series, parallel, both.) However, I've never known to have experienced a battery with one bad cell as opposed to the whole thing just wearing down over time, which is why I was inquiring about diagnosing it in a computing device. The worst-case scenario would be if it happened in a device where the battery is soldered in and/or in a glued-together device like the Surface line. I will check out that software and see if it offers any insight. Thanks for your advice.

I have had the same issue with my laptop. When I first got it (with Win10 preinstalled) the battery drained overnight even while using shut down but disabling fast boot seemed to solve the issue (even though there's no reason it should). Fast forward to an update a few months ago (not sure which actual update did it) and the problem reappeared and fast boot had reenabled itself. I got it disabled but the problem persisted.

I wish I had a solution but at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to plug my laptop in to get it to boot if I haven't used it for a day. Once it is fully charged it has normal battery life so the battery itself is fine.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/windows-10-october-2018-update-still-not-released-running-out-of-october/

People said I was crazy for formatting and reinstalling 1803. We're going into November and 1809 is still not re-released.

Friendly reminder that it doesn't hurt to adjust your personal PC's Windows Update Group Policy to "Semi-Annual Channel" so that it waits 3-4 months before installing the latest feature update.

Lmao:

The Article posted:

It turned out that the bug had been reported numerous times during the preview period, but for whatever reason, Microsoft had overlooked or ignored the feedback items describing the problem.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Falcorum posted:

:psyduck: I do have a TV that's mostly turned off connected, but removing the cable didn't seem to fix it. I've tried messing around with disabling various USB devices in device manager and still no luck. :shrug:

Edit: Nothing in event logs, disabled HD and USB sleep, still freezes every so often.

Edit2: Turns out Windows installed some generic Qualcomm wireless adapter drivers instead of my adapter's specific drivers, haven't had any issues since I fixed that. Now as to why drivers for a pcie wireless card would cause USB to randomly freeze for a few seconds is beyond me.

Depending on your motherboard the USB controller probably is using pcie lanes which it might be sharing with the pcie slot your card is in. Without the proper drivers you could easily run into conflicts there.

Gotta love win10 continually making GBS threads the bed with drivers while still forcing the user to into the driver windows update deems worthy.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Lambert posted:

Some dumb bullshit about how they don't want to take ownership of a site's content.

Apparently it is also because they are afraid of user dataloss since it is so close to the tab close button. Additionally they felt it caused the code to be too complex and caused performance issues. The first issue isn't one because the only time i want to mute a tab is when I am not on that tab; and in those cases I only see the mute button, no close button. This additionally is a great thing to have available because it quickly allows you to see which tab is causing the sound issues. The code complexity and performance excuse tho just takes it to a whole new level, because how loving poo poo does your codebase have to be for a mute tab function to be a problem for either.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

mystes posted:

Why is it Microsoft's job to tell you when dst starts and ends? If anything that seems like something you would want on your smartphone nowadays.

Back in 2001 I was suckered into picking if I wanted the OS on my phone or my desktop to notify me of such things; alas I picked my desktop OS because at the time my phone was a lovely Windows mobile thing and never considered the future. Now I am stuck without such a notification on my smartphone and I feel my only option is to get rid of my desktop computer... maybe that will delete my previous choice and finally allow for my smartphone to notify me about clock changes.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Geemer posted:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

GG Microsoft.

Especially the last line there, stating that the reassignment isn't limited to external drives blows my mind.

Not related... but when I visit that I get an ad for "Windows 7 support is ending soon!" which I clicked for fun... on there they tell you that "Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended." lmfao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Why not make the whole OS out of LTSB? what features have these buggy horrible releases even added to Windows besides options in the Settings app to turn off breaking Windows overnight?

Well one of em added line numbering to notepad. So super critical fixes clearly.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Morter posted:

So i'm only just getting ⚠ from Windows Defender to set up onedrive to protect against ransomware. I have no interest at the moment so I try to dismiss it but it doesn't work.

This is apparently an issue that's shown up for the past couple of years with no clear cut way to remove that symbol/warning.

Any ideas?

Does clicking dismiss work? That's what I do for the other ones it throws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

Yeah it just logs you off since you can only have one user logged in at one timel.

Unless you have rdpwrapper set up of course. I've never seen a notification pop when I log in remotely so I doubt that is what would cause the wake.