Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a Windows 10 machine acting as a media server and the File History program has gone haywire recently and generated about 6TB of backup data. Seems to be few files it tripped up on and constantly created copies of the same file over and over for weeks and weeks.

When I used the File History program to tell it to delete everything older than the last version it tells me there's nothing to delete. Can I just delete the FileHistory folder manually and start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm on a Dell XPS on 1903. Got an update for 2004, updated it and it cause the system to absolutely poo poo the bed when waking from sleep. Whole system just becomes unresponsive and needs a hard shutdown.
I've already rolled back to 1903 but is it worth it upgrading to 1909 or should I just want until 2004 is fixed (or superseded)? If I should go to 1909, how do I do that?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

I have an xps 13 and 15 that this has been happening intermittenly on since i got them I think?

part of my issue i think was an undervolt (tho, IIRC, my xps 15 has done that since they upgraded the bios to disallow undervolting)

I'm undervolting and never had a problem before 2004. I also turned off the undervolt because of the BIOS update.

Also, you can re enable the undervolt capabilities by resetting the BIOS to "Factory Defaults"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

What third party free software would people recommend for monitoring my own internet connection/stability etc?

What aspect do you want to monitor? Connectivity, bandwidth monitoring, uptime, applications allowed, what?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I'm on a Dell XPS on 1903. Got an update for 2004, updated it and it cause the system to absolutely poo poo the bed when waking from sleep. Whole system just becomes unresponsive and needs a hard shutdown.
I've already rolled back to 1903 but is it worth it upgrading to 1909 or should I just want until 2004 is fixed (or superseded)? If I should go to 1909, how do I do that?

This was from a while ago but it turns out it was MalwareBytes' fault with 2004. Uninstalling MWB using their uninstall tool, upgrading to 2004 and re-installing MWB from scratch fixed it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a lifetime license so why not

You can always just turn off real time scanning and leave scheduled scans on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I also disable the Cortana search box that takes up half the taskbar