Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My business is small, so our setup is super basic. As of today (or maybe a few days, but I'm sure it's only recently) my PC will only get a fraction of the speed of anything else connected to the network. No fancy firewalls, just a Comcast gateway that I have access to and appears to be default and not flagged my machine for any particular reason. There's a smart switch I'm trying to get access to as well (I tend to handle most in house IT hiccups, anything beyond my abilities gets outsourced) that only got installed yesterday, however I'm getting the same issue when I connect via ethernet or over 2.4 and 5ghz, which would bypass it. I can sit in the same spot with my phone and pull down way more over the wireless.

So I'm guessing it's something to do with Windows. Comcast engineer was pulling 170mbit on my ethernet cable, other people in the building see around 60mbit down, I'm currently hitting 4-5mbit. Upstream is fine, I'm maxing the connection at 20mbit. Anything obvious I should be looking at? Have both rebooted, cold booted, and I believe there were a few updates that needed running from the last week or so which I let through.

clarification: both ethernet and wifi suck.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a desktop machine, so shouldn't be any issue with power (although I wouldn't put it past Windows to think that there is, so I'll double check to be sure). Have gone through a checklist of things to enable/disable, and nothing has made a difference. It's so odd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried everything up to the Intel driver part (I couldn't get the command to recognize and I have to get some work finished), but no joy. I'm getting the same results on both the wired and wireless adapters, so I don't think anything that targets an individual one is the answer sadly. Tried logging into another account on the computer (was inherited from a coworker) and same results on that. It's super odd. My desktop sharing has barely worked today, so I know it must be new as that's never been an issue before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah my bad, I'm good at not making things obvious. Added a clarification line to the bottom.

It's been a rough day for IT here, I left the office last night with everything working and unbeknownst to me the contractor came in afterwards to rig the network up in a better way than it was, so of course my morning was spent with pretty much nothing working. My 12 months of "well this machine can't ever remember the servers credentials, but if I make a batch file here using 'net use' and the IPC$ share, that'll at least tide us over' has come to an end, so I'm sure I'll be digging out install discs next week to get that thing up and running again. Sigh. It's always Fridays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that fix came up in a link someone posted, did nothing sadly. My plan of leaving the computer cold over the weekend didn’t work either.

Not that it matters, because today my day has been taking up with the machine that’s been handed down between users that no longer sees the server on the network. “Fresh Install” in Microsoft Defender, why this will be the answer thinks I. Yeah, no. It appears to have included an update from February that completely breaks USB input so now it’s just sitting there like a lemon. And UEFI means I can’t force to safe, but three striking it to Repair Mode doesn’t bring anything up either so that probably wouldn’t help anyway. I’ll probably have to fish out a USB stick tomorrow and see if that gets around it all.

The only solace has been reading QA threads on tech net and the like of the same issue, and people saying ‘just type this’ or ‘uninstall this’ for the original complainer to be like ‘can’t you loving read, I can’t click or type anything you muppet’.

I hate computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My install is still 1803 and it thinks that's the latest. It can keep believing this for all I care.