Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been using ReFS on my current Windows 10 (formerly Windows 8.1) box for a while now, since I had the disks set up before they removed the functionality. I'm getting ready to build a new system and I don't want to keep half-assing my data drives, so I'm torn between paying out the rump for Windows for Workstations and just giving up and using NTFS. All the pragmatic arguments seem to push me to NTFS, but I feel a stubborn drive to cling to data checksums and other goodness. Does anyone have any insight into what's on the future roadmap? Is ReFS dead on the desktop and Workstation just a shameless money grab, or is this a plausible future for data drives? I have enough FLAC and Canon raw files that I do expect to have data drives for many years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tab leaders is how I'd do it for something like this. You can use control-tab to insert a tab inside a table cell. You'd want to put a right-aligned tab stop at the end of columns A and B with a period for a fill character. Hit control-tab at the end of your column A text, tab to column B, hit control-tab again and then your column B text. Column B will also need to be set for bottom alignment.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Would anyone care to recommend a file synchronization program? My use case is simple - I want to take a tree of files on my hard drive and echo it exactly to a removable drive. I want every file on the internal tree copied to the removable drive, I want every file that isn't in the internal tree deleted from the removable drive, and I want it to be quick enough thatit doesn't spend all day on it. I used to use SyncToy for this, but keeps losing state information, and then it fails to echo deletions properly.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've used robocopy for years, but I didn't know it could be intelligent about what it copied. Thanks, I'll try that first.