Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

lazer_chicken posted:

Are there any known problems with newer windows 10 and older directx packages? I've got a brand new out of the box laptop (Acer Nitro 5) with 1803 on it and I'm trying to play far cry 4. Every time steam tries to launch the game, it tries to install the june 2010 directx package, which silently fails, and then the game crashes with missing directx dlls. If I try to install that directx package manually, I get an error that says "an internal system error occurred" and it tells me to check DXError.log, which naturally doesn't exist, and DirectX.log, which has nothing useful in it. I've tried the package that came from steam, and both the full and web versions downloaded from microsoft, with the same error.

This has to be a fairly common package for older games to need. Has anyone else seen this problem? Google results are mostly just lovely threads on the microsoft forums with bots saying stupid poo poo like reinstall windows and run sfc \scannow (which I did anyway, with no change).

try enabling 'direct play' under legacy components under windows features. this is under programs and features in the legacy control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is such a minor thing but I don't get why Windows wakes up my monitor to show a lock screen every time I RDP to my computer.

This has always been the case with Windows desktop versions. They only allow for a single user to be logged into one terminal interface/desktop session at a time. This means that if even you are logged into your machine and then log into the machine remotely your previous session will lock. This does not happen with Windows Server as it as a remote login features and doesn't affect the local desktop unless too many remote users log in at the same time, then people start getting locked out. I believe the default for Server is 2 users.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's not the locking that I question, the system is already locked - it's waking a monitor that's completely asleep that's the weird thing.

Ah, your question as not phrased very well, but I digress. You need to go into your power settings and edit the plan settings for the display. Just set the display power down/off to never.