Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I ditched team viewer and have started using the native Win10 RDP which has a nice iPhone app. It works well on LAN but is it safe to port forward so I can use it from elsewhere?

My router supports DD-WRT so I could use that to run a VPN server but is it overkill? Or is there a better solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Ok thanks all

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I want to control my PC remotely with the iOS Microsoft RDP client. Is it a bad idea to port forward? What precautions should I take?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
For some reason my RDP has stopped working. I can't connect to my PC from the iOS RDP app on 4G but it will work if I'm connected to my local wireless network.

I've got ports forwarded and I've tried disabling the windows firewall.

Any ideas?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

Could this be why I get unexplained 100% disk usage for 5 or 10 minutes when I open my laptop? I've tried just about everything to fix it.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Windows 10 totally hosed my wife’s laptop even after a fresh install. I think I ended up disabling hibernation to fix it. Who knows, I tried so many things. I should probably chuck an SSD in there as well.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Yeah, this is how I know SYSTEM is being the big lil bitch. I really can't figure this out, wtf is Windows doing to the drive and how do I stop it

My wife's laptop has had this issue for about 6 months even after a fresh install. I've totally given up on fixing it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The disk cleanup changes suggests I shouldn’t be using the Downloads folder as a permanent storage location? Should I move my videos/etc out of there?