Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is there a recommended free antivirus for win 10 or, barring that, a recommended, low-impact paid AV?

Also holy poo poo @ that hack. I'm not at all savvy with classicshell or anything (just installed win10 today) but I noticed the tweet mentioned they 'also compromised audacity'? Like, the audio program? What the heck, I was just about to install that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh son of a bitch, I just realized i downloaded irfanview from fosshob earlier. What does this mean. What should I do? :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Klyith posted:

if you believe their twitter, they only hit classic shell & audacity. and if it actually installed ifranview you are supposedly ok: "Our infected installer pops up a command window and then doesn't do anything more."

but if you don't trust them:
1) have a recovery USB stick ready
2) bitlocker encrypted drives are not recoverable by simple repair so if you have that don't reboot the PC until you have backups or decrypt the drive or soemthing

Yeah I'm a little less worried because the forum also states that clean programs also have proper digital signatures, which mine had. Still, that's hosed up.

(Also, I don't have bitlocker. I only just jumped on this win10 train hours ago. Any simple list of software for smooth sailing would be appreciated :shobon:)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
One last rando question:

I have 2 monitors: My main is 144hz and my secondary is 60hz.

Ever since jumping onto win10, there's weird screen tearing whenever I move windows around in the secondary monitor. I mean obviously, I'm noticing a difference between the two monitors but the kind of graphical stuttering I'm seeing isn't stuff I'd never gotten even when the refresh rate was 60hz.

The only thing I saw related to this was a recommendation to get the latest graphics drivers, which I'm sure I do.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
:siren: Okay what the hell is going on :siren:

I stepped away from my computer for a few hours, with nothing more intense running than Google Chrome.

I come back 4 hours later, with both monitors refusing to turn on, but I'm hearing sounds as I poke around (even trigger sounds from a chat client, in real time).

I try unseating and reseating my primary monitor's cables, but nothing happens. So I do a single power button press, and my computer turns off.

I turn my computer back on,, and now my secondary monitor is the only one turning on, acting as the primary. Nvidia control panel refused to work. I restart again and I suddenly get a 1024x768 resolution (When my monitors are both 1920x1080)?!

Reinstalling Nvidia drivers now and my primary monitor popped back on, so there's that...

But I've put a CLEAN, FRESH HOT FROM THE MS STORE KEY onto a brand spanking new SSD, 2 days ago. A 'clean install', nothing to work from, or corrupt...

And every single day I've had an issue with Win10. Is this the standard?

Also, is there anything with power settings that I'm missing so I can avoid this happening again?

Thanks. :bang:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Ugh, of course you guys say all this after I install Avast. :doh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Time for another dumb question:

Back when I was using win7, and had an HDD primary drive, I'd leave my computer on all the time, and I was used to things like virus scans and maintenance being done overnight.

Now that I have an SSD, I don't mind shutting down, but now I'm wondering if I have to do things like trimming, scanning, and so forth manually? Or is there a recommended way to get such things going so I don't have to really think about them again?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

isndl posted:

If your computer is merely asleep, scheduled tasks can be configured to wake the PC as necessary.

No I mean full shutdowns nightly.

Or is nightly sleep-modes more preferable, with the occasional reboot?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

isndl posted:

Or leave the PC on, just because you have a SSD doesn't mean you have to shut down nightly.

It's my first one so I wanna make it last :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

fishmech posted:

If you're concerned about SSD life, then it's best to not turn off the computer when you don't have to. It's not a big extra load, but it is extra load if you're turning the computer off all the time.

Wait, what's a load?

Also I just mean to turn off the computer when I'm going to bed, once a night. Otherwise I'm more or less glued to this thing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Kay, I'll just put it to sleep when I go to bed, so it can do nightly/weekly maintenance when needed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So is there no way to search for exact phrases in text files? Putting things in quotes doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So this recent update I restarted for put a Store icon on my taskbar, so I removed it

but it won't go away. It's an invisible entity that I can move and swap around but never delete

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So my computer is old and I plan on building a new one. This would be the first time I'm doing so while having Windows 10.

What I want to ask is how smooth will the transition go, using the same license key from one machine to another? What can I do to make things smoother?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Since it wasn't answered in the last page (and the OP doesn't seem to address this, as this wasn't an upgrade, but a pure Win10 key)...

Morter posted:

So my computer is old and I plan on building a new one. This would be the first time I'm doing so while having Windows 10.

What I want to ask is how smooth will the transition go, using the same license key from one machine to another? What can I do to make things smoother?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

This was brilliantly set up

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

So i'm only just getting ⚠ from Windows Defender to set up onedrive to protect against ransomware. I have no interest at the moment so I try to dismiss it but it doesn't work.

This is apparently an issue that's shown up for the past couple of years with no clear cut way to remove that symbol/warning.

Any ideas?

Edit: Bolded for emphasis

Morter fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 20, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Factor Mystic posted:

Either set it up or click "Dismiss" and forget about it

Raldikuk posted:

Does clicking dismiss work? That's what I do for the other ones it throws

I'm sorry I wasn't clear: Clicking "Dismiss" literally does nothing. There's no response. The mouse changes cursor when I hover over it, but clicking doesn't change or move anything. Zero feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
For what it's worth, I did a full shutdown/startup and still getting this. Ugh.