Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On recent versions of macOS/OS X, recent versions of Chrome and many Chromium-based applications also have weird graphical issues usually described as causing "flickering" of the colors within the browser window and sometimes across the whole desktop. So I'd lean on the side of the Chromium project's hosed up something to do with graphics acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Gone are the days of LAN SMB file shares and storage solutions within the confines of our own domiciles.

Today we blindly accept the sending of whatever the gently caress over the Internet to a data-center in the cloud and downloading it back.

:fsmug: :fireman:

Setting up SMB 2 shares still works just the same as setting up SMB 1 shares did back in Win 95.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Double Punctuation posted:

Last I checked, HDDs also do sequential writes faster

Oh word? I'd love to hear what sort of spinning rust you have on hand that compares to this mass market SSD:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agent355 posted:

Is there any reason to have an actual physical CD of windows anymore or can I just buy a digital code or w/e and use boot USBs created from other copies of windows to install?

I guess if I didn't have a working PC alongside a new build/non-functional PC the CD would come in handy, but other than that a USB should work just fine?

The DVD would be a last option. USB drives are the preferred method these days since fewer and fewer computers have an optical drive anymore, and Win 10 will install far faster off today's flash drives than it can off any consumer optical drive.

Microsoft will sell you a key directly and the windows 10 download tool is freely available from Microsoft if you want to prepare a backup USB drive in case you need to start fresh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Colonel J posted:

Focus stealing. Is there any way to prevent it?

Use different software, that's the only method.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Why did you turn it off?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PirateBob posted:

Sigh. Guess I have to turn it back on.

I disabled it because

1. That slow loving UAC screen that dims your monitor and made it take several seconds to install or launch a program.
2. My music app (foobar2000, lol, it's old) stopped launching - got some red screen with "contact the sys admin" and when I googled for ways to get past that lock, basically the only simple solution I found was "disable UAC completely"... :shrug:

Update your foobar2000 and/or one of the plugins you're using, they fixed UAC handling right when Windows Vista released. Also you can disable the dimming without breaking UAC altogether or making it auto-allow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
By design, Ransomware packages don't need UAC authorization. All they care about is encrypting documents accessible directly from the current user context, which aren't in UAC involved situations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

And how exactly would Defender be excluded from that?

It's a core component of Windows instead of a random third party.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

So? What makes Microsoft's code so much better than a third party ones?

It's a core component of the operating system, instead of some random third party. What aren't you getting?

Combat Pretzel posted:

How valuable access to the Windows source code is, is rather dubious.

Perhaps if you've never used a computer before, you might say that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why am I even discussing with fishmech?

It is a very good question why you'd try to defend McAfee or Kaspersky or Norton in this day and age, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know, Virustotal.com pretends there's more than these three. A lot more.

And all of them are useless in this space year 2019.