Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be the odd one out here and say continue to use only the Plasma Cutter. Real engineers are measured by their use of the most basic job item. This is Isaac's chance to shine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

LashLightning posted:

Is it worth showing the mission reminders/journal? Because of Isaac's classic case of protagonist-muteness, we are made to believe that he is largely taking the events in his stride, non-plussed about the horror unfolding before him. The mission-log however is written in the first person and shows that Issac is actually, to understate it, afraid and vexed at the situation he finds himself in.
I thought that's what he was hinting at in the first episode to show off in a future update.

Kibayasu posted:

There's a mission log in Dead Space? :stare:
Surprisingly, yes. I stumbled upon it by accident on my first time through the game. Isaac has been given the Samus Aran treatment (pre-Other M, of course) where his only input in the story is within the in-game journal.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Isaac realized that a certain type of TV set wasn't within his budget, so to help narrow it down he Cut the Plasma from his list.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Back when he was in high school, Isaac helped organize blood donation drive events for his girlfriend Nicole. Part of this is why he is so unfazed with seeing so much hemoglobin during the Ishimura incident, aside from being a selective mute. During one of the drives, several people were donating the special, yellowish liquid that held red blood cells in suspension and Nicole's team of volunteers were short on staff, prompting Isaac to take over one of the positions. His job was to measure how much a donor was giving away and stop the needle from siphoning the liquid any further.

In short, he was the designated Plasma Cutter.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually kinda glad that the Ripper made it for the next episode, even if I didn't vote for it. I never had much luck with the thing and it never really felt right to use. The other weapons had more "instant results" for me, and maybe that's why I gravitated away from the Ripper given the nature of its use. I'd love to see how it's used properly, because I haven't seen a playthrough that made it look appealing.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Before engineering, Isaac had an interest in geology and took a few classes on the subject before grad school. Most of the laboratory days focused on taking apart the rocks and studying the inner parts for how they formed. One day in particular, Isaac was assigned to open up a mineral known as a heliotrope, often called a bloodstone because of the red spots spattered across it. But the one he was given had unusual yellow spots, which fell in the same category but had a different name. Unfortunately, the lab was short on tools so he had to delve into the disposable instruments bin to pick out a used specialty knife for rock splitting. After picking out the one he wanted, Isaac got to work and found that the incision instrument worked surprisingly well despite being second-hand. Because no one wanted it, he decided to keep it for himself to commemorate this special, yellow-spotted mineral.

So Isaac took out his labeler, punched in a couple words, and stuck the name "Plasma Cutter" on the knife.

slycooper20 posted:

Also, the meteor shooting segment sucks. I never managed to get the achievement for this.
I only wish I had a decent gaming PC to play this game when it first came out. Redoing this section over and over again on PS3 just for the trophy was the hardest thing to Platinum this game for me.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Bill Schnitt and Charlie Beam have been in engineering longer than Isaac has, and even entered the field around the same time. The difference between the two, however, was that Bill rarely lifted a finger to follow orders and Charlie always put in 110%. The supervisor wanted Bill gone, but had to keep him there because of his family connections to the business. Isaac was indifferent. At the end of a long day of a long week installing tune-ups to a power station, Isaac's crew was putting the finishing touches on their work. Charlie was called away on a family emergency during lunch, leaving the three of them to work. Bill excused himself to use the restroom, but sneaked off to the bar while Isaac and his supervisor had their backs turned. Right before they called it a day, a converter malfunction caused an explosion, damaging the hull, and resulted in damaged equipment.

"Dammit! We'll have to pull an all-nighter to get this mess fixed," growled the supervisor. "We're going to need another helping hand here, Isaac."

"Mmphrmp mmhmhmph?" Isaac asked through his helmet.

"No," the supervisor said. "We'll need an able-working man to retrieve the repair tools from the shop and here on the job, and Bill isn't him. Forget Schnitt! Contact Beam."

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
The CEC, Isaac's employer company, was once hired as a consultant for the next Marvel movie Guardians of the Galaxy 10: Electric Grootaloo for a realistic depiction of planet mining in the story. Naturally, Isaac was brought along to make sure all the engineering props were up to snuff. During one of the days of the shooting, the director, James Gunn VII, was instructing the newest actor for Star Lord on the dialogue of the scene and working on the delivering some of it with his body language, while Isaac observed from the background through the blue lights of his helmet. But Star Lord was holding one of the props and accidentally swung it into a wall while practicing his gesture, shattering it. The small ball of tight, mechanical pieces lay in hundreds of additional pieces on the floor, beyond repair.

"Welp, the power orb is destroyed and the conflict is resolved," said James, shaking off the accident with a sense of humor. He turned to Isaac and held out his hand, ready to catch something. The engineer, in almost no time, pulled out a replacement prop from behind his back, ready for an event like this.

"Mnpth!" Isaac grunted as he tossed the power orb to the director. They continued with the small rehearsal.

After a moment, the actor spoke up: "Alright, I think I can get the gestures down without breaking anything this time. Give me the next line, Gunn."

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
My Name is Groan-us

Speedball posted:

The nurse in Garfield is a veterinarian. In a shocking twist, a few years ago she and Jon started actually dating.
I thought that went on for a lot longer than a few years. Didn't Jim Davis end the shtick with Jon being terrible with his dates because he was getting tired of doing it over and over again?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm out of contrived story ideas about Isaac just for a weapon vote. I'll just get on the No Pulse Rifle Train and go back to my vote for the Plasma Cutter!

Also, The Walking Dead show totally did that infamous line last season. It was also the only memorable part of that goddamn episode.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
The brute was just misunderstood. All he wanted was a Hammond Cheese sandwich.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
No kidding, the Viscera Cleanup Detail game helped prepare me for my brief stint as a resort housekeeper. It perfectly gamifies your exasperation when you enter a messy, used room for the first time that needs to be cleaned within the hour.

Anyhow, what the hell line of code have you accessed that spawned so many Twitchers? I have seen everything in this game, but the Twitcher Hangout Power Hour never happened for me. Just Mr. Regen and that one guy who sometimes gets the urge to do laps.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
That death reel at the end. Now we know what Nicole meant by "Make us whole again."

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Here's something I quickly threw together for Kamoc's favorite poster this episode

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
First time playing through, I had no idea this was the final chapter until I reached the Hive Mind. Every section in the story felt like it was rushed and I could never tell what was it was trying to emphasize as important.

It was almost as if this game had a Dead Pace.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe the real Dead Space was the friends we made along the way.
I already got all the friends I need.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Jeez, that built-in necromorph repellent in the Marker would have been really helpful during the final gauntlet of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Just checked the No Known Survivor's site and it's pretty clear they have long abandoned it. The "noknownsurvivors.com" domain is now claimed by some company in Osaka, Japan.

• Locked thread