Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
SAGameDev Challenge X - 2015

LOGO PSD
http://www.awfuljams.com

It's all over! Go play those goon games! http://www.awfuljams.com/games

Join us Friday August 7th and Saturday the 8th for the GONG SHOW and Friday August 14th for the JUDGING stream.
Twitch.tv/SAGameDev

CRITICAL OMISSION IS YOUR THEME

We have a Twitter: @SAGameDev which will be used *strictly* for important announcements. Not to clog your feed with retweets and other social media garbage.

Need help forming a team? Want to talk to other devs during the jam, or ask for help when everything inevitably goes terribly wrong? Join #SAGDC on synirc.

If you have any trouble with the site, send an email to admin@sagamedev.net

It’s that time again!
Every year brave game developers come together for a singular purpose: making games. This is the Something Awful Game Dev Challenge, where you are tasked with the full month of July to create a game following a given theme. This year is the first year we’re opening SAGDC up to the public!

How do I submit / announce my team?
'SAGDC X' premieres a slick new web-interface to automate key aspects of the jam process. Go to http://www.awfuljams.com and press the 'Join Jam' button to establish your team and maintain your game page. You're free to wait until later to establish a game page. Game pages aren't published until the end of the competition, you can however give out a link to your game page early for testing / previewing purposes.

Everyone will be free to join, make a team & game page until the very last moment of the Jam (1AM CST August 1st).

For submitting games, we will enable submitting your finalized zipped game for the judges during the final week. Submissions to judges are final, so be sure to test your game thoroughly. Public versions of your game can be updated as much as you’d like, even after the competition ends.

**You are responsible for hosting your game for public play on your game-page.**

The Judging Process
We’ve revamped the scoring and judging system from previous years. For SAGDC X, submitted games will be split up between the 6 judges. Judges will rate each game on a scale from 1 to 5, and provide a few paragraphs of critique and reflection. Each judge will pick 2 “top picks” from their given batch, all judges will then play each-other’s top picks.

The process culminates in a live-streamed deliberations phase, where we decide together the best submissions for each category.

Your Intrepid Judges
* Everdraed
* InternetJanitor
* JamesRossi
* JonTerp
* Mido
* poemdexter

Categories

* Game of the Year
- The judge's pick for best game overall.
* Best Style
- Pick for most use of art and stylistic choice.
* Best Narrative
- Our choice for best story and narrative design.
* Best Game Design
- Goes to the game with the most compelling mechanics and gameplay.
* Best Use of Theme
- For clever incorporation of the jam's theme.

*Best Use of Audio
- Chosen for clever use of audio and sound design
* Community Choice
- Game that's picked as the community favorite.

Note: You cannot win multiple categories, winning in any category removes you from running in the others (Except Game of the Year). This is just to ensure even distribution of prizes.

Prizes!
Oh boy do we have them. Through the pure generosity of a few kind-hearted developers and publishers this year is set to be the biggest prize pool in SAGDC history.

Below are our currently secured prizes, we're still in talks to get more. Most prizes will be secured once the E3 chaos subsides. Keep an eye on the @SAGameDev Twitter for more announcements.

GOTY Grand Prize
* Super Swag-box Grande
----A large box of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
----A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

GOTY Runner-Up
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Category Winner
* Swag-bag
---- A swag-bag of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Best Unreal Engine Game
*Epic Swag Pack

Best Unity Game
*Full Unity Pro License.
---- A fully featured Unity 5 Pro license key.

Best Sound

* 1st place: SFX Bundle from Boom Libraries
* 2nd place: Construction Kit from Boom Libraries
* 3rd place: Desigend edition from Boom Libraries

Community Choice
* The Community Prize
* To be determined

Special thanks to the developers & third parties providing prizes!
* [Bungie]
* [Boom Library]
* [Epic Games]
* [FanGamer]
* [Unity]

The Wall of Shame

The wretched edifice that foreverial records a prideful dev’s hubris. If you say you will make a game for SAGDC but fail to deliver, your name ends up on the wall. You don’t want this to happen. We don’t want this to happen either though, so we do our best to give opportunities to escape its dreadful surface. It hungers.

This year, the shame wall has gained sentience and a cold robot heart. There is no escape, no place to hide. Your shame will be immortalized for all future generations to see.

Bounties
GOON-ONLY
Posters can put forward bounties to reward devs for meeting specific criteria. For example, ‘I will give $10 to the dev that best uses :toot: in their game’ or ‘one copy of bad rats for the game with the worst physics implementation.’ It is entirely up to bounty givers to choose their winner(s) and deliver promised rewards. This is for the thread ONLY, and does not apply to games made by non-goons.

Available Bounties
KRILLIN IN THE NAME : Avatar certificate for most tasteful dad-dong.
Shalinor : 5x Hot Tin Roof Deluxe for best use of cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
This thread looks familiar somehow. Can I DMCA a forum post? Mods?

Gong Show Day 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn2dtPNNJw

Day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXC5iCdDm8Q

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 11, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This thread looks like it Shalinor just followed a tutorial for a SA GameDev Challenge thread and slapped a poll on the top.

Wall-of-shame!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lowen SoDium posted:

This thread looks like it Shalinor just followed a tutorial for a SA GameDev Challenge thread and slapped a poll on the top.

Wall-of-shame!

But what if Shalinor has never made a thread before and now she's like "yay I made a thread!" That would be really sad. :ohdear:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Xibanya posted:

But what if Shalinor has never made a thread before and now she's like "yay I made a thread!" That would be really sad. :ohdear:
Look I had a busy month ok so I submitted Flappy Thread which I made in the last 2 minutes from a tutorial. But no wall of shame for me, HAH.

... also SA is ancient and has no normal way of adding a poll to an already-active thread :smith:

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Hey so about that Life Alert bounty?

https://twitter.com/Life_Alert

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Afal posted:

Hahaha, I guess they didn't click that link.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Afal posted:

I don't see anything relating to the game... wonder if they deleted it. Hope you got a screenshot!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JonTerp posted:

I don't see anything relating to the game... wonder if they deleted it. Hope you got a screenshot!!

The very top tweet. Still visible to me.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

JonTerp posted:

Latest retweet. You made the same mistake they did!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

GlyphGryph posted:

The very top tweet. Still visible to me.

Oh I see it now, bummer I was hoping for an actual response to the game. Instead they got tricked into retweeting it!

Afal I'll PM you the prize shortly.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Screenshot of my notifications:

Edit: Thanks Jon!

Afal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 10, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Hahaha, I guess they didn't click that link.

LOL.

Random aside on my game: judges were complaining that the B. Stag character did not have an authentic southern accent, but the character is explicitly stated to be from Dallas and his accent was 100% authentic, so ya'll just revealed yourselves to be ignorant of the finer dialectical differences between different forms of North American English speech.

Other random aside: had a goon game party with some friends the other night and what.exe got a lot of play. It is now the official backstory of this Slam Fighter II character: . All of it, including turning into a cosmic goat and assassinating the president.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Took forever to upload for some reason, but this is the screenshot of the retweet (expanded mode, rather than collapsed):

Late, but whatever.

Also, I have voted! Sadly, last I checked, I was the only one who voted for the game that should win. Start making better votes people. :colbert:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We have a new post mortem feature on the site! Once the judging ends (August 14th) you'll be able to submit a post mortem on the "Edit Game" Page.

Your post mortem will appear under the judges review, so you can get the final word on those mean corrupt vampire-men that call themselves judges.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JonTerp posted:

We have a new post mortem feature on the site! Once the judging ends (August 14th) you'll be able to submit a post mortem on the "Edit Game" Page.

Your post mortem will appear under the judges review, so you can get the final word on those mean corrupt vampire-men that call themselves judges.

When will we be getting the reviews do you think?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

GlyphGryph posted:

When will we be getting the reviews do you think?

August 14th

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Team Dogpit's Post-Mortem posted:

Dear judges,

Git gud.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Bill Amazing would like to know your thoughts on the continued development of Sys Admin Simulator:

http://strawpoll.me/5176547

Thanks for taking the time to vote!

Good luck to all the (much better) top 12(13) games!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Gong Show archives are up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn2dtPNNJw

We'll be using that YouTube channel for all future video uploads so ~LIKE FAVORITE AND SUBSCRIBE IT REALLY HELPS US OU-:barf:

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I failed, but I'm looking forward to the december jam. :D
Hopefully life doesn't get in my way again.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I failed, but I'm looking forward to the december jam. :D
Hopefully life doesn't get in my way again.

Speaking of when is the winter jam supposed to be? It's something I'm looking forward too but I have a bunch of travel in December.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Xibanya posted:

LOL.

Random aside on my game: judges were complaining that the B. Stag character did not have an authentic southern accent, but the character is explicitly stated to be from Dallas and his accent was 100% authentic, so ya'll just revealed yourselves to be ignorant of the finer dialectical differences between different forms of North American English speech.

Other random aside: had a goon game party with some friends the other night and what.exe got a lot of play. It is now the official backstory of this Slam Fighter II character: . All of it, including turning into a cosmic goat and assassinating the president.

I am genuinely honored to be a part of the rich narrative of Slam Fighter II!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

TheOrange posted:

Speaking of when is the winter jam supposed to be? It's something I'm looking forward too but I have a bunch of travel in December.

It's tentatively scheduled for next June, I believe.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I am genuinely honored to be a part of the rich narrative of Slam Fighter II!

Who could forget this memorable scene from Slam Fighter I?

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

JonTerp posted:

That's legit cool and will motivate me to actually write a post-mortem this year! Any plans for letting users submit reviews of games as well?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Xibanya posted:

Who could forget this memorable scene from Slam Fighter I?

the harsh genre shift between Slam Fighter I and Slam Fighter II always puzzled me, but, in retrospect, I think it may have been for the best

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

the harsh genre shift between Slam Fighter I and Slam Fighter II always puzzled me, but, in retrospect, I think it may have been for the best

Slam Fighter II revolutionized the genre and paved the way for competitive Slam Fighting the world round. Without it none of the bodacious kids would be spittin' :iceburn: in all the coin-operated arcade game parlours.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the kind words on truck simul8or in the gong show :)
"Simple but playable" was basically what I was going for.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Heisenberg1276 posted:

For final judging: The version of Critical Admission submitted to judges was marked as Mac only but does contain a (buggy) build for Windows. If the other judges want to play it on Windows you're better off using the one from itch so you can see the late-game content. The only difference is the fix of a null error which usually happens around level 7 (Though of course it's fair enough to count the crash against us, you might as well see the main part of the game).

Just posting this in the new thread for any judges who missed it in the last one.

In other news. Critical Admission will soon be available in Chinese! as soon as I figure out a way to reload all of the text in the game after the language is changed...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Just posting this in the new thread for any judges who missed it in the last one.

In other news. Critical Admission will soon be available in Chinese! as soon as I figure out a way to reload all of the text in the game after the language is changed...

你们有西班牙人吗?

E for content: I know Ziggy had to do some fudging around with our code just to have the Spanish diacritical marks so you guys might be in for an interesting ride!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 11, 2015

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Xibanya posted:

你们有西班牙人吗?

E for content: I know Ziggy had to do some fudging around with our code just to have the Spanish diacritical marks so you guys might be in for an interesting ride!

You asked if we have Spanish people, rather than the Spanish language :raise:. But sure, if the language change feature works it could support all the languages!

I'm really just adding it so that my wife's mother can play the game though. The only real problem is it that Haxeflixel isn't good at word-wrap for Chinese, so I have to break the lines manually.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

You asked if we have Spanish people, rather than the Spanish language :raise:

that was on purpose, I was trying to make a bad joke/call attention to my name. :downs:

我的写是很好。

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

It's tentatively scheduled for next June, I believe.

I thought there was talk of one happening around the Winter?

Good to see Slam Fighter getting a lot of community votes though, I put in mine for Impulse myself but I'm just terrible at typing games (and also I'm a sucker for any game that has a really well implemented Shotgun).

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Heisenberg1276 posted:

You asked if we have Spanish people, rather than the Spanish language :raise:. But sure, if the language change feature works it could support all the languages!

I'm really just adding it so that my wife's mother can play the game though. The only real problem is it that Haxeflixel isn't good at word-wrap for Chinese, so I have to break the lines manually.

If you can write them out phonetically, I will TOTALLY rerecord the receptionist lines in Chinese.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

TheOrange posted:

Good to see Slam Fighter getting a lot of community votes though, I put in mine for Impulse myself but I'm just terrible at typing games (and also I'm a sucker for any game that has a really well implemented Shotgun).

He was joking. It's called Winter Jam. You'll hear more about it, Ya know, in the winter.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

TheOrange posted:

Haha, glad you liked the shotgun! I would honestly estimate about 25% of the total dev time in Impulse was spent on tweaking the look and feel of the weapons to get them where I wanted them, so I'm happy it seems like my effort paid off!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

JonTerp posted:

He was joking. It's called Winter Jam. You'll hear more about it, Ya know, in the winter.
I'M FUNNY, DAMMIT.

No one gets me. :emo:

Edit: except jonterp <3

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I'M FUNNY, DAMMIT.

No one gets me. :emo:

Edit: except jonterp <3

I got you. But then TheOrange made me question myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Chernabog posted:

I got you. But then TheOrange made me question myself.

Yeah, I was being dense there, my bad. Looking forward to doing another game jam though, Ludum Dare might be fun but I'm not sure I want to stress myself out with a 72-hour jam before a bunch of travel.

• Locked thread