Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Afal posted:

Hey so about that Life Alert bounty?

https://twitter.com/Life_Alert

Hahaha, I guess they didn't click that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

JonTerp posted:

I don't see anything relating to the game... wonder if they deleted it. Hope you got a screenshot!!

Latest retweet. You made the same mistake they did!

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Heisenberg1276 posted:

For final judging: The version of Critical Admission submitted to judges was marked as Mac only but does contain a (buggy) build for Windows. If the other judges want to play it on Windows you're better off using the one from itch so you can see the late-game content. The only difference is the fix of a null error which usually happens around level 7 (Though of course it's fair enough to count the crash against us, you might as well see the main part of the game).

Just posting this in the new thread for any judges who missed it in the last one.

In other news. Critical Admission will soon be available in Chinese! as soon as I figure out a way to reload all of the text in the game after the language is changed...

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Xibanya posted:

你们有西班牙人吗?

E for content: I know Ziggy had to do some fudging around with our code just to have the Spanish diacritical marks so you guys might be in for an interesting ride!

You asked if we have Spanish people, rather than the Spanish language :raise:. But sure, if the language change feature works it could support all the languages!

I'm really just adding it so that my wife's mother can play the game though. The only real problem is it that Haxeflixel isn't good at word-wrap for Chinese, so I have to break the lines manually.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

If you can write them out phonetically, I will TOTALLY rerecord the receptionist lines in Chinese.

Haha that'd be really cute. I'll get the rest of it working and get back to you :D

sighnoceros posted:

I was having some trouble with the Impulse OSX build earlier, apparently the enemy sprites were showing up as white blobs instead of their actual sprites. I saw it on one of my Windows builds before too but not on the current one.

Can someone try this OSX build for me and see if the enemies show up correctly and the game runs fine: http://www.ironpencil.com/impulse/standalone/Impulse_OSX.zip

Edit: Also if anyone has seen this issue before and has any idea what causes it let me know. I've never seen it in the editor but it was definitely in my Windows build. And it was only the enemy sprites, not the player sprites or anything else. I think I might've used Unity's sprite packer at one point for the enemies, maybe that has something to do with it?

Seems to work fine for me. But then the old build worked fine for me too...

Heisenberg1276 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Afal posted:

Critical Admission

Things I liked:
  • Cool it's operation without the electic buzzers!
  • Take ALL the body parts
  • COCAINE

Things I didn't like:
  • This game quickly got ridiculous at level 6 where I had like a million windscreen wipers, thousands tins of beans, and enough cocaine to quit the job at the hospital and start a more lucrative drug dealing career
  • Is that the twist at the end? I didn't get that far in the game and my last point was only a joke because I didn't get THAT many tins of beans
  • I can't think of any actual bad things about this game other than I got so much junk that it made it hard to find the decent crap within my body bits snatching?

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Nice little "goofy drawing" style. Yeah. Rad.
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Click and drag for the most part. I could imagine this working well on a tablet/mobile.
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): There's not enough spare body parts I think. That or the critical omission was that the surgeon you're playing as has a lack of professional training
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Pretty neat. I liked how I could basically use the UI as replacement parts
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Hmmm let's see.. don't think so

Final Score: 4 out of 5 stars

Thanks for playing :) The messy table was definitely a feature rather than a bug - but we did consider the addition of a bin or something to tidy it up as in the later levels it can get more frustrating rather than just frantic and challenging. I'll keep playing with it and see what can be done. And yeah the omission was enough correct body parts.

Xibanya posted:

E: how could I forget! Our friends also went through a few levels of Critical Admission which leads me to what might be a useful comment for the team that made it! Our friends really enjoyed it and got a big kick out of how irreverent and shamelessly gross it is, but the friend who was actually playing the game got frustrated because it looks like they left the scalpel either in a patient who was sent away or buried it under the pile of stuff. They said they'd like some sort of means of getting a new one easily if they lose the old one since it's such an key component of gameplay.

Almost everything in the game is an instance of "Interactable" which means it has values inside the body, can be dragged into all the different slots, etc. We did this because 1) It made it easier to code since everything is treated the same and 2) it's kind of cool/funny when you first discover that you can place the reputation gauge instead of a heart or whatever. But if you lose the next button, clipboard, or scalpel it can be a very frustrating experience. We're playing with adding some sort of market between levels where you can purchase upgrades (or replacements for the stuff you put in bodies). Hopefully that'll sort that issue out. Thanks for the feedback :)

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

JonTerp posted:

We're moving the judging stream back to 7pm CST on Friday so that everyone has a chance to get home and watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Aww :( That puts it at 1am for us. I assume it'll be recorded like that last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

I'm really pleased with how well Critical Admission did - and we got a lot of great feedback :) Thanks everyone.

Well done to all the other winners and runners up, this years competition was tight - the quality seems to be really quite high.

Also thanks to all the organisers and judges - I feel this year's jam went very smoothly, the website worked great, and the grouping and review system means at the very least every game gets a review from someone who has really tried it. The gong show and judging were both very interesting too (though the judging was too late for me to finish). I don't know if I'll be back for the winter jam yet (it might be a little too close to my thesis submission), but I'll definitely be back for the summer jam next year.

• Locked thread