Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Lowen SoDium posted:

This thread looks like it Shalinor just followed a tutorial for a SA GameDev Challenge thread and slapped a poll on the top.

Wall-of-shame!

But what if Shalinor has never made a thread before and now she's like "yay I made a thread!" That would be really sad. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Hahaha, I guess they didn't click that link.

LOL.

Random aside on my game: judges were complaining that the B. Stag character did not have an authentic southern accent, but the character is explicitly stated to be from Dallas and his accent was 100% authentic, so ya'll just revealed yourselves to be ignorant of the finer dialectical differences between different forms of North American English speech.

Other random aside: had a goon game party with some friends the other night and what.exe got a lot of play. It is now the official backstory of this Slam Fighter II character: . All of it, including turning into a cosmic goat and assassinating the president.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Team Dogpit's Post-Mortem posted:

Dear judges,

Git gud.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I am genuinely honored to be a part of the rich narrative of Slam Fighter II!

Who could forget this memorable scene from Slam Fighter I?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Just posting this in the new thread for any judges who missed it in the last one.

In other news. Critical Admission will soon be available in Chinese! as soon as I figure out a way to reload all of the text in the game after the language is changed...

你们有西班牙人吗?

E for content: I know Ziggy had to do some fudging around with our code just to have the Spanish diacritical marks so you guys might be in for an interesting ride!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 11, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

You asked if we have Spanish people, rather than the Spanish language :raise:

that was on purpose, I was trying to make a bad joke/call attention to my name. :downs:

我的写是很好。

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sighnoceros posted:

Speaking of bounties, Afal, I'm not sure if you ever finished doing your reviews, but I never saw a review of Impulse. And we definitely have screenshake - it's even customizable in the menu, from no screenshake all the way up to Vlambeer-level.

Oh yeah, Afal, you didn't get to Slam Fighter II either!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Slam Fighter II

Thanks, dude! I agree on all of your points. Actually on my computer I'm not that great at Slam Fighter either -- talked to my dev about it and he's working on adding a feature to options in which you can adjust the latency. We found that on his specific rig, the rhythm is totally perfect and the game is really intuitive, but once you start using other rigs/keyboards things can get kinda off, so once you can adjust the timing I think you'll have a much better experience.

As for the UI, I was so swamped with spritework that I did not create a single UI element - as a result, they were all made by Ziggy Starfucker, who is not an artist and who did a loving fantastic job considering the circumstances. UI elements will be sexified in future builds.

E:

quote:

Style (Does the game look good?): Nice sprites, backgrounds, music. The rhythm UI looks a bit basic but judging by the rest of the game

But judging by the rest of the game...? Don't leave me hanging, man!!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 12, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

TheOrange posted:

That was the main issue I had with Slam Fighter myself, I'm sure a latency timer (or a practice mode) would be a huge help. I also think you guys should add a window scaling option, there's some really gorgeous sprite work but it didn't want to work full-screen for me (DPI scaling on Windows is probably the cause), leading to playing in a tiny window where I couldn't see all the details in their full glory.

Thank you!! A lot of love went into those little piles of pixels even if the results ended up teeny.

turns into...

...only like 115px tall... Of course the game's resolution was always intended to be 640 x 480, just like the classics. Can you give me more info on your setup? Fullscreen has worked on all four of the computers on which I've play-tested the game.

As for a practice mode, did you try the tutorial? Barring that, I know I used hotseat vs. mode to practice myself. I would say I'll mention the window scaling to my dev but I know he lurks this thread so he probably already knows.

But yeah the latency thing and maybe some kind of setup wizard I think will win over anybody who isn't already. This weekend I had a huge shock when I tried to play the game on a bluetooth keyboard and uh...well, the results weren't pretty, I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of this weekend, we showed some non-goons several of the entries in the contest. It was interesting seeing what our friends thought were the funniest entries vs. what Ziggy Starfucker and I thought were the funniest, particularly since a lot of the games were deliberately made to appeal to ...local flavor? I'll put some observations - not as actual critique since I know everybody was quite aware of their target audience.

Was a little bummed out that our pals were not suuuuper amused by Cinder. They did think it was funny -- they liked the skeleton DDR, Cosby joke, golddigger jokes among others, but while Ziggy and I were in stitches over "This cat is horseshit," our friends' reactions were a bit more subdued.

Fired up what.exe -- honestly I didn't think that our non-goon friends would find this game that appealing since it's so aggressively inscrutable, but they ended up playing through it multiple times and really enjoying it! Out of the games we saw that night, I think this one got played the longest, and that's counting Slam Fighter II!

Our "normal" friends LOVED Sub-Optimal and I think they will add it to their regular rotation of games.

They also liked No Chute, I'm sure they will revisit it. I think one of my friends remarked that the birds in the game are secretly coordinating to kill the player character - not because they're in league with the witch, they're coordinating to kill you just because birds are assholes.

Everyone loved Zero Grab-Kitty for its aesthetics but our friends didn't stick with it as long as I thought they would because they got kind of frustrated. But I'm pretty sure it's not a flaw with the game, my friends just need to git gud.

Ziggy Starfucker fired up An Video Game to a different group of non-goon friends on a different night and I was giving him sideways eyes because I thought our friends wouldn't really get it but they ended up loving it so much that I think we did 2 playthroughs and we ended up discussing the game, it's characters, it's narrative, for at least 20 mins afterward.

E: how could I forget! Our friends also went through a few levels of Critical Admission which leads me to what might be a useful comment for the team that made it! Our friends really enjoyed it and got a big kick out of how irreverent and shamelessly gross it is, but the friend who was actually playing the game got frustrated because it looks like they left the scalpel either in a patient who was sent away or buried it under the pile of stuff. They said they'd like some sort of means of getting a new one easily if they lose the old one since it's such an key component of gameplay.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah I don't see a need to prime the player to consider sorting - I think that's something they should figure out for themselves.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whoops, looks like I missed TheOrange's post!

TheOrange posted:

I had to go back to it, it's not so much that it breaks in fullscreen just that all the windows on my monitor lose their scaling until I log out and back in, there is some blurriness and stretching in the fullscreen mode as well but I assume that's pretty much unavoidable. I'm using a dual monitor setup (4k on one, 1080 on the other) with Windows 10 which is why I have the scaling turned on and a number of other programs that go full screen cause all kinds of issues with it.

Have you recently upgraded to Windows 10? I noticed that I was having fuzziness issues (chiefly in Photoshop) immediately afterward that weren't fixed until I redownloaded the latest video card drivers for my machine. If that's not the case, I definitely will investigate this further with my dev.

quote:

That's really interesting about the art though, does that mean that the animation is preserved in a vector format as well if you really wanted to go back to it? I assume there's a bunch of cleanup and lighting you have to do on the pixel art though that might not be present.

Most of the art I did in the beginning is indeed preserved in vector format since I knew I would probably end up wanting to adjust the size. For the first three weeks my technique was
1. draw the pose and scan it in/draw the pose in photoshop
2. make vector of drawing in illustrator and lay down flat (solid) colors
3. import image to photoshop, scale down, do highlights/tints, and cleanup (particularly the outlines, since those pretty much HAVE to be done by hand)

So that left me with a week to go and Fumi, Bunny, and Serghei complete. This method is rather time-intensive as you may have gathered, so during the last week my animation technique shifted to this:

Make a rough of what I want to see, then cleanup.

Still, in one week I managed to get done what had previously taken me three, which means I really managed to improve! B. Stag was the last sprite to get done and all of his stuff was done in two days (although you can kind of tell it was a rush job.)

quote:

I did try the tutorial and I had issues there as well, for what it's worth when I tried turning off the sound and tried hitting it based on visual cues I did a little better but I could never get the first letter in a set, it kind of kills the rest of the game to play it that way though. A time adjustment might help, I don't really have another game like it that I could test to see if it that's an issue with my setup or not though. To some extent being able to see the pattern as it comes up on the UI might help a ton as well, just following the black circle seems to work sometimes but never felt entirely consistent.

I see what you mean, I think the latency adjustment will really help. That and we might want to look at other libraries/means of synching the music with the video. Ziggy Starfucker had some impressive skills growth on this game too, since he had never before made a rhythm game or had to deal with syncing audio before, so given the fact that this is the first game of its kind for him, he deserves mad props.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

TheOrange posted:

Sounds like one hell of a process for making the art, at least it sounds like it sped up as you got more used to it. The thought of using Illustrator to help make pixel art is kind of intriguing though since you get the fallback if you need it.
Yep, and I think some of what I have could be relatively easily adapted to make actual promo art.

TheOrange posted:

I want to try my hand at making a rhythm game one of these days but it sounds like there are a number of technical hurdles. Personally I'd suggest that maybe having the circle go behind each letter on a smooth scroll rather than the blips.

That's a really good idea -- I think Ziggy mentioned trying a combined approach - the pulsing beat-balls (or whatever they are) along with a scrolling indicator. We're totally swamped just improving what we have right now because blinkeve1826 is going to show off the game :siren:in public:siren: this weekend and we want to get her the best build possible before then, but once we finally have a chance to breathe, we can start looking at more in-depth revamps. (For my part, I'd love to redo a ton of the sprites from the ground up!) In the week and a half since the contest ended we've still been working almost as hard on Slam Fighter II as we were during the contest (with more food and sleep time allocated, of course)! This game is getting a life of it's own and I'm completely obsessed now.

Oh yeah, I should add, while Slam Fighter II is the first video game I have ever worked on, it's just one of very many for Ziggy Starfucker. In fact, you all may have seen his work before - in Game Jam VI he competed with the game Deadweed and did rather well for himself.

E: hmm, reading old thread

Ziggy Starfucker on July 31st, 2011 posted:

Which version of XNA exactly are you using?

The more things change...

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For your consideration...

Vote for Slam Fighter II!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Harold Krell posted:

The soundtrack to All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert is here!

You Are Going To Die

This track was created at the very end of the jam so it's pretty simple in its composition. As the music for the main stage, I wanted to capture the feel of despair you see in a lot of PSAs, so I took inspiration from Mozart's Requiem Mass to create a haunting choir punctuated with moments of silence and the occasional echo of monophonic piano to bring the point home that you really are going to die :(

Granny's Day In

For the mini-games, I wanted to create a peppy "happy" composition to contrast the dourness of the other theme. It's mainly based on the music heard during "Buy Mode" for the original Sims games. The main goal for this track was to create a confusing, manic piece that takes the player off-guard in this game about an old person slowly dying to death. My personal favorite parts are the piano slam around 19 seconds in and the sporadic flute and clarinet flutters.

Very nice work. It's because of You Are Going To Die that I had to quit the game because of sadness overload some 10 mins in. I don't say that to criticize, it means you did a great job! Now I'm inspired to unload some of our awesome extras.

Slam Fighter II Bonus Material Pack #38

Here's a look behind the scenes - behold my meticulous musical notation!

If you guys don't get why a rapping soviet is hi-larious I don't know what to tell you.

If I had had my way from the start, our game's assets would have looked something like this.

However when viewing the end product, it's clear that Ziggy Starfucker was very very right to ask me to do sprite art instead.

And the best bonus item I could possibly provide! Serghei's dialogue was recorded over a couple of marathon recording sessions with his actor, Michael. In between takes we had a lot of fun just bullshitting and cracking jokes. I'm pretty sure Michael was telling me something in his normal speaking voice when I jokingly asked him if he was a bad enough dude to save the president. And then he said this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByLGY7AGDSn2eG51MzZhTGdiWjg/view?usp=sharing

My biggest regret is that we couldn't find a good place to stick that in the game.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
New Slam Fighter II build, get it while it's hot! Now with latency fix!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/evybzg3ctcy6w3x/Slam_Fighter_2_Convention_Edition.zip

E: changelog

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

ist of changes:
* Fixed beat detection on Bunny and Fulana's stage
* Fixed beat indicator mis-alignment during the AI turn
* Added in-game option to change latency settings. I recommend keeping Audio Latency at 0 and Video Latency between 0 and -10 for now. A setting of -10 means that the beat indicators will start 10 milliseconds earlier than the actual beat
* "Easy" and "Let Me Win" difficulty settings now have relaxed beat timing thresholds that make it easier to at least get a "good" rating
* Added two more blingees for Serghei

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 15, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Man, I feel pretty bummed out about not even placing for audio. I suppose in a way it's a relief though to say "well, there's not much I would have done differently if I had to go back and do it again." Our team technically has five people in it, but the actual experience of Slam Fighter II was created mainly by two people: myself and Ziggy Starfucker. My main contributions were directing performances, doing the art and writing, and wrangling the talent. From what I have seen, people have had positive experiences with those aspects of the game. Seems like the main criticism of the game comes down to gameplay itself. I know from seeing his other work that Ziggy Starfucker is an incredibly gifted developer (in fact if you met him IRL you'd realize that he's a loving genius in general) and he approached the game jam as an opportunity to try something he had never done before. And now he's really got this; the latest build has awesome responsiveness and I think the game is really going places, so we definitely don't feel like we're walking away from this "empty handed" so to speak. We definitely got a lot out of participating in this jam!

I do feel that overall Team Dogpit's only sin was not staying with a "safe" type of game, ie, a game in one of the genres in which Ziggy Starfucker has made games before (and there are many -- he's got a bunch of interesting stuff in his "portfolio" that's great for showing off at parties.) That means if we compete next year, we will definitely avoid trying something that gameplay-wise is different from something Ziggy Starfucker has already done. While that kind of seems like a bummer since we had the impression that the game jam was a good arena for trying out new things, it's also an indication of the overall high quality of the competition.

Also congrats to all the winners! I will celebrate on your behalf by playing Zero Grab-Kitty some more. (cats)

E:

JonTerp in review posted:

Defiantly make time to check out Slam Fighter II, and don't forget to install the XNA 4.0 redistributable.

:haw: Thank you for this.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sighnoceros posted:

Can't complain about Impulse not winning, some great games this year and I played the poo poo out of Zero Grab-Kitty (I think I might have been the first person to report having actually beaten it :smug:). Congrats to all the winners, and great job everybody who finished their games!

Don't forget, you placed for audio. And if Slam Fighter II loses to Impulse in the community choice vote, I won't feel sad running up behind you because your game is hella cool and I enjoyed playing it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Gunzil posted:

I put a postmortem on my page for anyone interested. Good job everyone, congrats to winners and losers alike!

I'm a driver, I'm a winner. Things are gonna change, I can feel it.

Well looks like this was both the first and last game jam for Team Dogpit as a collective entity, but I, Xibanya, as a free agent, may come back to contribute art/writing next year.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Afal, I assume we were hearing your voice in An Video Game, right? Would you be willing to contribute voice overs for a game jam game next year?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Uh.. yeah that's my voice. I don't think I'm that great a voice actor, but I could contribute voice overs I guess.

Your performance in An Video Game had a certain passive-aggressive bite to it that I found hilarious. :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

Community vote will be cut off THIS COMING TUESDAY August 18th.

Yep. How can you tell the poll is closed? Since I voted I can't see the radio buttons anymore.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:doh: Reading comprehension.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shalinor posted:

I'll make sure it closes down whenever the judged results come in.

What do you mean by that? Aren't all the judges comments already on the awfuljams site or am I missing something silly again? (see above string of :doh:)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

So congrats! I'll send the keys to sighnoceros, SynthOrange, and Xibanya right now!

:hellyeah:

We're still working on our game so I'll take that as highest praise. BTW have you tried our newest edition with sweet-rear end latency fix?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey so on the awful jams site, what happened to the reviews and post mortems?

E: and winners for that matter... http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/winners

and wall of shame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Sorry! Things are transitioning on the site as I get it/got it prepped for octojam. Thanks for pointing it out - that's super weird! I will look into it and get it fixed!

Thanks for the update! I was finally ready to put my post mortem. Good to know the Wall isn't gone for good! Otherwise how will future entrants understand the meaning of fear?

• Locked thread