Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Xibanya posted:

Who could forget this memorable scene from Slam Fighter I?

the harsh genre shift between Slam Fighter I and Slam Fighter II always puzzled me, but, in retrospect, I think it may have been for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Edit: :drat: I didn't mean to write that much. Guess I have some stuff ready for the site when the post-mortems are added.
To add a little bit more: I also pushed for a campaign mode, but that was partially because I thought I might be able to handle a chunk of the level designing to make that worthwhile. What I didn't consider was that Impulse's design meant that it gets a LOT more leverage out of an arena game, and replayability is a huge game changer for games of this size. In the future, when I come up with ideas for games, I think I'm going to start thinking about how they can be applied to a more replayable, simplified format.

In the end, I actually did end up getting to make one of the game's arenas, but that's pretty small compared to a fully-fledged level.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

GlyphGryph posted:

Would anyone be interested in seeing more work put into Broken, or is it more of a "played it, got the gimmick, game was frustrating gimmick was neat but wouldn't play again" sort of thing?
Fix your platforming physics, and only make it so "damaging" objects cause knockback to the player rather than everything. I figure these are things you're already well aware of, but they're very, very important to the game being an enjoyable experience. The central mechanic is neat, it just needs a better platformer to be stuck onto.

Also, be aware of any situation that the player can get themselves into with the way your level design is set up. Make lots of consistent ways back up, find ways to ensure that moving platforms can't get clumped up in one, inaccessible area, etc.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm ecstatic that Impulse managed to place for audio. I put a fair bit of love into the music, and the sound effects job is my favorite I've done so far. Honestly, though, I don't think my sound would have even had the slightest chance to shine if it wasn't for the excellent work done by both Sighnoceros and Dogkisser, so huge thanks to them for making the other parts of the game so appealing. After this I'm especially excited to keep working and learning with sound in future jams.

• Locked thread