Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A
G

Don't want to get lpst in an unknown city late at night. We already have some info we can use to ask any grown up around us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A, F

Stuff all our valuables but one or two silvers into our underpants, lets go get into trouble!

Edit: Keep a lookout for another fortune teller, repetitions will tell us if the guy was telling the truth or not.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 21, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A but take note if they form a pattern and, if there's still enough light, whether they're heads up or tails up.

G

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A then G I was going to ask for a silver piece to be refunded, but that guy beat us to the punch. Store the dropped coins separately.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A

G

Iiiiiiinteresting. It looks like we have some books to read on folk tales for more info on why this spooked him! Or find a storyteller.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
G

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
That’s strange, and quite rude! Why did he run away in such a hurry? He doesn’t even want your money! You stand up from the vacated stand and look around for any of those dropped coins.

Awareness: 6 3 4 4 0 4 = 34 (Hard Difficulty Level)

After searching for awhile, you managed to find one! There’s no coin around the stall, but you spotted one (Tail Sided) from some distance away where the man has ran. You concluded he must have dropped this in his haste. This coin is purely decorative and has no worth in the market.

------------------
It’s approaching the hour of Xu (7-9 pm), which is usually the time of your curfew and soon to be your usual sleep time. You can’t believe you had spent about three hours just circling the Unending Street of Lanterns! These thousands of lanterns mesmerized like a moth attracted to a lantern fire and makes you circles unendingly till the end of time. Alas, if you had chosen to hang out with Snow or the VIP, then you might have an interesting time with him or her here. You could risk the danger of the night in exchange for more time, but you ultimately chose to prioritize your personal safety. You consider finding an adult who is willing to follow you into the danger of the night, next time.

----------------------
You woke up early in your cabin the next day. Although you don’t recall what you have dreamed this time, but you are quite certain you did not become a turtle again, which is an abnormality that you are getting used to pretty quickly. You never really panicked at this and doubly will in the future. However, your curiosity for this turn of event is ever rising and you even consider asking everyone about anything that came to mind. The thirst for knowledge may be helpful for your future endeavor, but there one thing that worries you. The fortune teller ran away when he realized something from your question, in particularly, the subject about Lone Star.

1) If you were to ask the ‘star’ question to your peer, would they begin to distance themselves from you and don’t want to be your friend anymore? Such is the risk that you should weight into your decision.
A) I must find the answer as soon as possible, ask everyone.
B) ask people who barely know me beyond my fame.
C) I will be very cautious, ask people who don’t know me. This will take a long time as the whole city pretty much knows you as the Filial Child/Fire Fighter.
D) I will only ask people who have a strong bond with me and hope our relationship will persist even after the revelation. Namely: Li Foil, Baba, Snow, Mantis, Nood, and Uncle Liu.
E) I will find only relevant experts and ask them about it.
F) I will find only reputable experts and ask them about it.
G) Forget it; it’s not a big deal
H) Write-in.

2) What about other questions like turtle and the dream? Are you going to reveal it to someone and ask them about?
A) EVERYONE
B) NO ONE
C) ONE person, write-in
D) Anyone who barely know me beyond my fame.
E) Anyone who don’t know me.
F) Anyone who have a strong bond with me.
G) Anyone who is an expert in the subject
H) Anyone who is a reputable expert in the subject
I) Forget it; it’s not a big deal
J) Write-in

Obviously, it’s much safer (and slower) to find relevant information through recorded text and books, but there’s a few difficult subjects that you will have to dig through, not to mention finding the book itself might take you some time. It could go on for weeks or even months depend on your luck and may be a waste of time if you are asking someone anyway.

3) Which of the following subject would you like to dwell into for your search for the answer? Vote two or less. We will vote for more when we are done researching the chosen topic.
A) Don’t bother with books.
B) Astrology (Word search for Lone/Destiny star)
C) Fortune Telling (I-Ching)
D) Folk Tales collections (In regard to stars and turtle)
E) Daoist philosophy?
F) Poem in regards to star
G) Autecology book for turtle, if there is one.
H) Cookbook about noodle, if there is one.
I) Write-in.

------------------------------
The chosen choices for #1, 2, 3 will be combined into an optional choice for the new time-allocation system we will be using next year. I will elaborate on that later.
-------------------------------

After forming your initial approach to unveil the mystery of your turtlehood, you decided to walk around the lower deck in order to gather your friends. Snow is still sleepy, but she will join you later. Baba and Li Foil seem to have returned with their family on separate (and much more heavily armed) ships. Mantis is already up on the deck, so you go up to find him.

Upon arriving on the deck, you notice everyone on the deck is looking at one direction; the direction to the mountain that the bandit has descended onto this ship yesterday. This very mountain…

Is on fire.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 23, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. H: Uncle Liu, then Mantis, then reputable experts.
2. J: Uncle Liu only.
3. CD
. Even if the I Ching doesn't have much relevant information, it'll help us find out more about ourselves even without an exact birthdate. And the folk tales will be informative and fun.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
E
G
DI

No sense asking people we don't think will know anything, but let's not start with the reputable guys until know whether or not asking about is a taboo that will get our rear end shunned.

Folk stories seem like they'd give us a clue as to the Lone Star, and possibly stories about turtles. Noodle cookbook because I want to see the face of God in a bowl of noodles. Is that so much to ask?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

D. We can just say that we overheard some fortune teller talking about the lone star and it sounded interesting, no need to out ourselves.
C, uncle liu
BD

Folk tales seem likely to include stuff about "stars of fate".

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
1: H: E + Uncle Liu, because if there’s any danger to Liu he deserves to know what’s up.

2: J: H + Uncle Liu, H this time because while we may theoretically guess about the Lone Star through other means I don’t want to tip our hand to the watching outsiders about our knowledge of the Destiny Star.

3: B + E, Daoists tend to know about poo poo like this, I think, and I feel like this Lone Star is more esoteric knowledge that isn’t likely to be recorded in folk tales.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Tomn posted:

1: H: E + Uncle Liu, because if there’s any danger to Liu he deserves to know what’s up.

2: J: H + Uncle Liu, H this time because while we may theoretically guess about the Lone Star through other means I don’t want to tip our hand to the watching outsiders about our knowledge of the Destiny Star.

I'm with these for 1 & 2 ( Tomn's H and J)

However for 3, looking into folk tales is a must as it was referenced by the fortune teller.

3. D,B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Tomn posted:

3: B + E, Daoists tend to know about poo poo like this, I think, and I feel like this Lone Star is more esoteric knowledge that isn’t likely to be recorded in folk tales.

This

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Voting Remain Open
--------------------------------

Goatlaw: Part Four – Escape
It’s been a few hours since Roid’s escapee from the hunter. Nanny’s cries still rang in the back of Roid’s mind. He trop from rocks to rocks in the unendingly green forest, occasionally looking back to make sure the hunter didn’t catch up. It seems he has lost him for good, but there’s many more hunter in the forest, especially hunter who hunts for a criminal like Roid.

The terrain in the forest becomes more even and leveled as Roid approaches the dwelling of the hermit. Even the thousand chorus of the wildlife has settled down in this sacred ground.

There, on a rare open field where sunlight reaches, Roid yells at the top of his goat lung, “Hermit of the Mountain! I seek penance for the deed that I have done!”

The wind picks up, and trees sway as if bowing repeatedly at an invisible being. As sudden as the wind has ceased, so do a woman riding a leopard came out from a bush.

She looks like a human, but it’s a being with transcended beauty. Her smile is rarely shown, but it is said to be the most beautiful sight of nature. It is a shame that she doesn’t look pleased at all when her eyes pierce at Roid’s sin. Roid can feel the stare of the hermit and the feeling of his sin crawling up his back, desperately trying to avoid the stare.

The leopard is the first to break the silence. “Roid, what had you done this time?”

Roid knew the leopard already know of his sin; the sin of killing a human, which he confesses in manly tears.

The leopard lay down, so that the beautiful hermit can descend gracefully from its back. She gently shakes her head in remorse at the pitiful goat. “The worst crime was you leaving Nanny behind.” She said in a melodic pattern as if she was singing a poem.

“I-I can’t do anything!” Roid pleaded to the Hermit. “N-Nanny begged me to run and I-I can’t-“

“All men are the same.” The hermit continues her song as if Roid’s voice did not reach her. “They make you fall for him, and then they leaves you to your sorrow, never to return.”

“Please! You are a goddess! You must help me!” Roid begged down in all four and with his belly on the earth.

“Where is your pride? Has it all fled and left you in such shameful pleading for your life?” The leopard remarked.

“I am no goddess.” The goddess replied. This time directly addressing Roid’s pleads. “I am a ghost of the mountain who persists for a man who will never come to fulfil his promise. “ She points behind Roid, but there’s nothing behind him. “Your sin, I cannot solve. Your crime, is punishable by the laws of heaven. Your hope, is to reach outside the law.” She moves her finger to now point at Roid, “You, have to become an Outlaw.”

“RUN!” Shout the leopard. “FOR THE HEAVEN HAS BEGUN ITS JUDGEMENT! RUN!”

The calm and tranquil forest blazed in flames at the leopard warning. Roid can’t help but shaken at the sight of such divine retribution!

“RUUUUUUUUN!” Roar the leopard.

Roid stands up from the ground; he gathers his courage once more and ran away at full speed into the burning forest. Blaze of flames lit the morning darkness into day. Anywhere that Roid has ran, there is trees burning and felling dangerously. Roid jumps and dodges at the chaos retribution of his sin. He doesn’t want to die. Abruptly, Roid jumps behind an unburn bush, for he have spotted a human in red stands in the midst of hell, shouting orders to many others men in red. “Burn it all! Leave no tree unburn! Show no mercy to all who dares to assault the son of the Great Priestess!” Suddenly, the man stares at the bush where Roid is hidden and say, “Not even a goat shall be spared from the divine retribution of the holy fire!”

Immediately bolting as fast as Roid can muster, he tries his best to run away from the human hunters, but he can hear them chasing him. He does not know which direction he is running and the world begin to swirl into red tinted turmoil of smoke and heatwave until his dash out into a clearing! However, it’s a cliff above the calming sea. The red executioner arrives from behind. Roid have no choice. He took a plunge from the great height of the cliff and into the sea.

---------------------------
Goatlaws. Some goats are bound by the laws of heaven. They flee from its justice. They hide from the hunters. When you push someone off a cliff, you shall face the same fate. For love. For power. For the hell of it. Is this the end of Roid?

You can now involve Roid into any coincidental situation caused by your use of Joss. His tale will continue whenever you summon him through the power of coincident, but he is not available for summon in urban area.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 24, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

:allears:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Roid is now my favourite character. Can't wait to summon him in the stupidest manner possible.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Nyaa posted:

Good poo poo

Look at this post, all you who were against the flagrant use of Joss. Look at this post, and realize you were wrong.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Roid is now my favourite character. Can't wait to summon him in the stupidest manner possible.

A condition of summoning is to have it be believable that Roid would be there, but completely ridiculous that he is.

Goatlaw: Though outside the law, there remains hope of redemption.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Amazing update.

If I got it right, the red masked servant is hunting down the bandits? And a random goat for some reason. You really shouldn't mess with the Foil family.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

##Vote
1. Plan Tomn

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1. H:E+uncle 4
D 1
E1
H: E + mantis+uncle 1

Result: Expert + Uncle

2. J:H+uncle 4
C1
G1
J: uncle

Result: Expert + Uncle

B5
C1
D4
E3
I 1

Result: Astrology + Folk Tales

-----------------------------------------------------
Your trip home was rather uneventful, well, except for the part where the mountain was completed burned down. It is devastating for the local wildlife and herbalist, but they will make do. At least the bandits on the mountain seem to have wiped out along with the trees.

Upon your return, you notice Uncle Liu is out on an errand for a few days, but he will return on New Year. As much as you want to ask him everything about the stars and tell him about the bandit raid, his few days of absent does give you some time to gathers all your thoughts and findings into something coherent for your future narrative. You will begin your investigation next year, which is a few days from now.

-----------------------------------------------------

Over the year, you have made many friends, and zero enemy that you know of. It’s quite an amazing feat when you think about it. Rising from your status as a beggar, you gained fame throughout the city as the Filial Child, and then earned more reputation among the mercenaries as the fearless Firefighter. Many treated you like an adult and you acted like one, but you still enjoy being a kid when playing with your friends.

Your guardian, Uncle Liu is a nice old man who loves to hang out at the tea house with other elderly. He’s a retired merchant, though he does invest in some small scale, but safe trading once in a while. He has been busy finding you a master that can teach you how to fix your chi problem, which you have promised to not mess with until you learned how to regulate/control it.

Among your peers, you consider yourself to have earned four trusted friends:
Baba is still recovering, but he is expected to be back in shape in a month or two. He considers you his sworn brother. His father is a retired general of the military.

Li Foil still regards you as his savior and benefactor who will lead him to greatness. His mother shares the same sentiment. Speaking of her mother, you get the feeling that the “Great Priestess” side of the Foil Family is a bunch of hardcore fanatics who will hunt down anyone who dares to challenge them and burn down their foes and anything remotely associate with it. Fire seems to be a thing for them. You wonder if Li Foil will become a pyromaniac in the future.

Mantis really likes children. He gone mad when Baba was harmed, but your bravery to save him has impressed him enough to consider you a trusted friend in battle; a sentiment that is shared among the whole of mercenary group. Although he wished to retire immediately after the trauma so seeing Baba’s suffering, you manage to persuade him to delay his departure so that he can become your physical trainer until your master arrives.

Officer Wright is your first friend, and the first person who cared for you when you are at your worst time of your life: The time where your father died. He struggled with obeying his corrupted superior to support you and he considers him to be a righteous person. You haven’t seen him as much for a while, but he does visit Uncle Liu occasionally. You also consider him as you big brother of the family.

Snow isn’t your close friend and you don’t know much about her, but she is worth mentioning since she is probably going to hang out with your group more often, so it’s only a matter of time before she become a closer friend. Baba really likes to talk about her and the beautiful sunrise for some reason. Li Foil seems to respect her (begrudgingly?), which is rare because he usually looks down on people with lower social status, but that is slowly changing ever since he met you and Snow. You aren’t considering low status anymore, btw.

---------------------------
Thanks to your fame, you were able to gain employment as a part-timer at any job of your choice. Uncle Liu wanted you to find a profession that you like and even shouldered your schooling fee. The cost is not a financial burden for the wealthily retired old man, but it is a big cost nonetheless.

In your one year at school, your grade is above average and slightly better than Li Foil. You learned many things in general and can identify any common item easily. Besides the basic of day-to-day life, the school taught the Four Arts of the Scholar. It’s the four main accomplishments required of the scholar-gentleman.

The four arts consist of: Qin (the guqin, a stringed instrument), qi (the strategy game of Go), shu (Chinese calligraphy), and hua (Chinese painting).

You learned enough of these arts to be able to play a simple tune on the guqin, play at amateur level in Go, write decently in calligraphy, quote most classical poems, and paint things that people can understand with a glance.

You are now consider to be well-educated and not require further schooling unless you wish to have a teacher to continue honing your four arts, which is required for becoming a high ranking government official. Alternatively, many (poorer) students would prefer to hone these arts in their own time while some (richer) students hire private tutors to do the same. You will decide on whether to continue your pursue of these arts in next year’s choices of part-time jobs and education.

After school, you spend the noon hours working for a semi-popular noodle stall on the street. Your noodle master, Nood, teaches you his way of making noodle and you have learned all you can from him. There is nothing more he can teach you, and he suggests you learn from other chefs if you want to improve the noodle further. You have to agree with him. After tasting the most amazing food at the VIP’s boat for three days, it has really expanded your horizon for the world of food. You can’t say that Sea Food Noodle Soup is the best dish for you anymore, but it will remain a special dish in your heart.

At dusk, you work briefly as a delivery boy for the local delivery agency. The job gives you the opportunity to meet with many people throughout the city, which help to spread your fame to the point that many know you by face. You also have much contact with various mercenary, but you primary focus on learning from the survivor specialist. They taught you the basic of surviving in various terrains and you even experienced a great scene of life and death battle on a boat.

As a whole, you are a really good person who is well-mannered and benevolent towards even your foe. You are a capable person who can do almost anything when you put your mind and effort into it. Although your early life as a beggar infused you with great sense of individualism, and depends on how you pay back your friends for the bag of gold, you might be a selfish person who prioritizes personal safety and gains. On the other hand, you have shown loyalty to your friend by rescuing the dying Baba from the clutch of death, even if that is through the help of your… Turtle Entanglement.

-----------------------------------
Year One Statsheet
-----------------------------------

Character Name: Filial Child, the Firefighter
Archetype: Undecided
Concept: Lone Child of Destiny
Destiny (Total/Spent) : ???/???
Chi threshold: 8

Skills
Awareness: 0
Confidence: 0
Crafting: +5 (Noodle)
Finesse: 0
Hardiness: 0
Inspire: +5
Learning: +5
Medicine: 0
Might: 0
Perform: +5 (poetry)
Politics: 0
Ride: 0
Stealth: 0
Survival: +5 (Raid)
Tactics: 0
Wu Wei: 0

Plus 9 extra joss that can be use for either type.

Chi Deviations: None… Yet.
External Kung Fu: None
Internal Kung Fu: None
Combat Stat:
Style: None
Speed: 0
Fotowork: 0
Strike: 0
Block: 0
Damage: 0
Toughness: 0

Secret Arts/Extraordinary Techniques
None

Notable Equipment:
Bag of gold, your savings of two hundred silvers, VIP pass for Li & Ba family, and a fortune telling coin.

Conditions:
Conditional Promise on Chi restraint

Disadvantage:
None

Loresheet:
Lore: Home Town
Filial Child/Filial Firefighter
5 Status: Your tragic and touching story has reached the whole town. Your deed inspired many and your filiality becomes the model of how a child should behave. Just not the digging part...

As a brave child who risked himself to save a classmate from certain fiery death, you are the exemplar of a Chivalrous knight. Virtuous mercenary and Wulin inhabitants who knows of your exploit will regard you with respect.

1 Treasure: A gifts from two families.

2 Fortune (Contact) : Madam Li and General Ba become your valuable contact.Lone Child of Destiny

Vote if you want to reallocate your virtue points and throw in some suggestion for next year’s job.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
What does reallocating our virtue points do again? And having a list of our job options would be good too, it's a lot to take in at once.

Maybe it's finally time for me to use my double vote points depending on the situation :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Nondevor posted:

What does reallocating our virtue points do again?
I mentioned that we can respec the virtue point allocation at the beginning of the game, so we will do that since we know how it works now. If you prefer to have more/less points on other virtue instead, please vote for it.

As a reminder, performing something spectacularly inline with the virtue grant you bonus Joss (Chivalrous for Chivalrous Joss, Selfish for Corrupt Joss) and bonus lore related to your action. The amount of both bonus are based on how many point you have on the virtue.

quote:

And having a list of our job options would be good too, it's a lot to take in at once.
This is last year's list. You will have a few more clerical job unlocked due to your schooling.

quote:

Maybe it's finally time for me to use my double vote points depending on the situation :v:
Please indicate in your post if you are using it.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm fine with our virtue's as they stand.

Learn other types of cooking like Nood suggests. Food is life!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Vote if you want to reallocate your virtue points and throw in some suggestion for next year’s job.

I've been following only loosely, but in the wake of this latest adventure....

I'd say some more emphasis should be put onto Loyalty. Not sure where any shift should come away from, though... its more a question about the lessons learned this past year I think.

What jobs are there? Can we get a summary of options from last time?
I kind of like the idea of revisiting gardening - learning to make noodles leading for a greater appreciation for things that go into noodles. I think it was an entry that just barely lost last time, it might be nice to revisit the runners up alongside the new options our contact and social circle has opened up for us this.

Edit: haha beaten. Didn't see the list!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

I'd say some more emphasis should be put onto Loyalty. Not sure where any shift should come away from, though... its more a question about the lessons learned this past year I think.

Loyalty and Individualism seem kinda weird. As presented in the Wright and Wrong vote, Loyalty seems to imply slavish obedience to authority which is probably never going to happen in any goon-run character, but on the other hand one would intuitively think that Loyalty encompasses caring for one's friends no matter the cost to yourself - which seems exactly up Filial Child's alley. Conversely, Individualism can imply both a willingness to stand up for your own beliefs (which fits Filial Child) but also a willingness to throw others under the bus to benefit ourselves (which doesn't as much). It kinda seems like Filial Child can't really be considered wholly Loyal or wholly Individualistic, nor can he be considered wholly Anti-Loyal or wholly Anti-Individualistic.

So what I guess I'm saying is that it makes sense to me that we should reallocate virtue points between Loyalty and Individualism so that we have an even 3/3 split between them. That being said, I don't really know what that translates into in game terms, whether that's good or bad for the character or even whether I've actually understood how the game defines Loyalty and Individualism. I think Nyaa mentioned earlier shifting a point from Honor to Individualism because the reward is better, so I dunno if we'd gimp ourselves by spreading ourselves out instead of specializing. Anyone who knows more about the game system, care to help out?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
how old is FC now, 8? although the boat trip was fun I vote that we don't have any more events that are even half this long (over 4 months) till he's much older or this'll take forever :P

also if he's gonna be a scholar or some kind of warrior/scholar he should continue learning the 4 arts alongside working in a restaurant and training with mantis

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Filial Child should really be learning more Food Based Kung Fu. I tried to find that scene from King Fu Hustle (Or maybe it was Shaolin Soccer) where the bread girl makes kung fu bread, but i was unsuccessful.

Perhaps we should seek put the spicy secret of The Chicken of General Tsao.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The Filial Child should really be learning more Food Based Kung Fu. I tried to find that scene from King Fu Hustle (Or maybe it was Shaolin Soccer) where the bread girl makes kung fu bread, but i was unsuccessful.

That would be Shaolin Soccer, and the dish is sweet buns. Looks like exactly the kind of thing Nood would approve of, and so do I.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

FC is now 10.

As shown in Tomn's example, you can sastify selfish virtue with good deed. Virtue doesn't affect you, but merely rewards you for fulfilling it. Having some selfish virtue simply mean we could earn some malicious/corrupt joss later, which is a good thing to have. We could also spend some destiny (exp) to buy more virtue instead if that's preferable.

There's totally a lore for cooking kung fu with utensil weapon but we should work being a better cook first.

Edit: as for the event time, I originally planned for rapid progression through three events per year, but that's obviously not enough, so I have changed it to a quarter-monthly report system that I will elaborate later.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Jobs (If pick 3 still applies):

Go to school (Scholar)
Waiter/washer -> Cook (Restaurant)
Apprentice under Mantis

For the school, I suggest speaking to both Baba and Li Foil's parents. Tell them that both of their sons have benefited from having us learn with them Suggest further, that if they pool their learning cash, and get great teachers, ad also let us learn together we will all thrive. Thus! We get better than average teaching, and don't have to pay for it!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Wentley posted:

For the school, I suggest speaking to both Baba and Li Foil's parents.
Their parent aren't really in good terms. They tried to cripple each other last time.

It will take some persuasion for sure, but i will add this as a choice for the free time action later.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Their parent aren't really in good terms. They tried to cripple each other last time.

It will take some persuasion for sure, but i will add this as a choice for the free time action later.

I was hoping we could, set them against each other? In a way, for them each to hire well known teachers, and see how the kids do with the teacher of their choice? Malicious? Perhaps. We would get great teaching though.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Wentley posted:

I was hoping we could, set them against each other?
Their parent will almost certainly hire a private tutor at some point. Maybe even this year. They probably have a reason to keep them in the general school, which is a prestigious school for the rich in the city.

In term of competition, Baba's grade is terrible. His father seem to care more for Baba to become a warrior than a scholar anyway. It's unenviable that their family will demand them to compete for kung fu in the future.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I just want to say, that this is a fantastic read, and you have managed to make me have some serious feels and weepy eyes through this journey.

That being said, I really feel that Filial Child would benefit from an increase in Loyalty (to our friends) maybe even just a single point from Force, and also split Individualism with Obsession 3/3. Our relationship to Chi and noodle is absolutely an obsession, and I would not have it any other way.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Thanks for all the encouragement. It really motivates me to keep going and I am glad you all are enjoying it as I do.

Doktor Per posted:

I really feel that Filial Child would benefit from an increase in Loyalty (to our friends) maybe even just a single point from Force, and also split Individualism with Obsession 3/3. Our relationship to Chi and noodle is absolutely an obsession, and I would not have it any other way.
I will go ahead and do this. It makes sense and having more points in selfish virtue is definitely an improvement.

-----------------------------

As Chinese New Year approaches, people around the city have begun to preemptively hands you a Hongbao: A customary red envelope/packet filled with money for warding off evil spirits.

On New Year Eve, Uncle Liu managed to make it home in time for the cerebration. The city is filled with levity! Lion dance and fireworks everywhere! Everyone is in a great celebratory mood and they travel around home to home to greet their friends and relatives. Unfortunately, Uncle Liu is a bit too tired to go, so he will be resting at his room and receiving guests. He told you to leave the discussion till night time and recommend you to hang out with your friend in this joyous occasion. So you went with Li Foil, Snow, some other school kids, and Baba to greet adults for pocket money!

At the end of the day, your delivery job, your fame, and your begging skill have paid its dividend as it netted you a combined total of two hundred silvers! It’s good to have friends with rich parent! In fact, Uncle Liu also handed you a big envelope with ONE HUNDREN SILVERS! You now have five hundred silvers in saving! A considerable small fortune for starting up a roadside noodle stand! But you have bigger ambition that this, and more importantly, you wanted to ask Uncle Liu about yourself when you get home.

When you return home, Uncle Liu calls for you at the main hall. You two have a brief discussion of the bandit raid event and he is glad that you are unscratched, and wished you would put more priority in your own safety, but he is proud of you for saving Baba’s life. You think now would be a good time to tell him about the turtle dream and about the star, so you do so. He deserves to know.

Uncle Liu strokes his chin slowly as you reiterate your experience to the best of your ability. “That’s quite an experience.” He commented after you finish your story. “Although it seem like a spur of imagination in the chaos of battle, but it is too surreal and specific to be coming from a child.” He pauses to think more deeply of what he had heard. Finally, he continues, “So my life is ending this year… “ He another sip of the tea. “I... Am speechless. Even though I do not fear death, it fills me with greater grief knowing that you will be alone in this world again.”

You tell him you won’t let him die! You hold his arm tightly and tell him you will do something about it like how you changed Baba’s fate!

Uncle Liu pats your head. His hand is old and full of folds and wrinkles, but it is the warmest and gentlest hand in the world. He smiles and says, “Everyone has their time, and I certainly have lived mine to the fullest. Though I do have some regrets for the world, but you don’t have to go against heaven’s will to extend my life.”

1) You…
A) Tell him he’s right and let the old man live out his age
B) Boldly declares to go against heaven to make this happen
C) Tell him you will help him resolves his regret so he can die happy
D) Give up
E) You will do your best regardless
F) E + Tell him he is wrong and must stay strong.
G) Write-in

Regardless of your answer, You are determined to at least learn about everything of this turtle business. Uncle Liu chuckled at a little, and with a solemn tone, he pleads to you, “Do whatever you believe is right, my child, but please, don’t get hurt.”

You nod slowly and unwillingly release your grip on Uncle Liu's arm, hoping he won't disappear when you turn your eyes away. He wipes your tears away gently with those old weathered hand. These warm and wonderful hands returns to stroking his long white beard on his aging face. It's strange that you never noticed how old Uncle Liu is, and now that he will be gone in a year... You just can't stop paying attention to him. Uncle Liu returns to your question. “The realm of the god… Or demon is strange indeed. I have no idea why you are a turtle, but there must be a meaning behind it for you to take such a form. As for the stars, I can’t say that I heard of this Lone Star Tien or destiny star, and you might want to find an astrologist or Taoist.” He ceases stroking his beard, “Although the terms do sound familiar… I could ask my fellow tea colleagues and merchant friends for any tales or person who might know about it.”

2) Do you want Uncle Liu to ask around about stars and turtle? His informational network is much better than yours.
A) Yes to both
B) Yes to Stars only
C) Yes to Turtle only
D) No, I don’t want to raise any suspicion.
E) Write-in

After you make your decision, Uncle Liu moves on to a brighter topic. “My dear Filial Child,” he strokes his beards cheerfully once more. “I am glad that your body is well for the past few weeks. By that, I mean in regard to the illness of your Chi imbalance.” He calls in a servant to refill a full pot of tea. This usually indicates there’s a long talk or it is story time, so you ask if he has found a master.

“Yes, in fact, five replied.” He smiles proudly at his accomplishment. “All of them are considered Lesser Legend in the world of martial artist. However, they each have their own reason to retire early and wish to use a piece of land that I own to open up a shop of their profession in this city.” He took out five letters from his sleeves. Each letter ranges from one to three pages worth of essay in different handwriting. “Some I own a favor while other will own me one. I don’t expect them to be particularly successful in their field of business, but they do agree to share some profit with me, and…” He took another sip of tea, “I make two conditions: They have to write down the reason for their early retirement and to teach you how to control your Chi.”

You skim through the first page of a letter, and it seems to be a personal narration of the master’s personal tale that resulted in their retirement. Uncle Liu continues, “Unfortunately, I have only enough wealth to invest in one of them, so I will let you choose which of them to come.” He gathers up the other four letters while he asks you, “Do you want me to read their story to you or do you prefer to read the letter yourself? I could also give you a succinct summary of their tales if you aren’t particularly interested.”

3) How would you like to learn of their tales?
A) Uncle Liu storytelling (Third-person narrative)
B) Read the letters yourself (First-person narrative)
C) Uncle Liu summary (One paragraph summary)
D) Don’t care, choose randomly.
E) Write-in

4) Which tales would you prefer to read/listen first?
A) Warrior of Revenge, Coffin Maker Shizen.
B) Ex-Priest of Fire, Silk Seller Fuxiang.
C) Courtier who moves at the speed of words, Actor Hei
D) Bizarre Scholar, Antique Collector Jou Jong
E) Doctor with a fascination for bone, Dr. Bone
F) Don’t like any of the above? Write-in.

Ask any other questions you want.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 3, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. E, never give up.
2. C, the star is too well-known and could cause people to react the way the fortune teller did.
3. A, get as much quality Liu time as we can while we still can.
4. C, the actor sounds the most clever and interesting. Put the wordplay in swordplay.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Whilst I always like doing the impossible in games and defying heaven and fate, I think the Filial Child would respect Uncle Lius wishes.
There is much to be learned from death, but I also think he would want to make his guardians final year the best possible.

1: C

2: A
More knowledge!

3: A
Tell us a story!

4: D
Bizarre Scholar for sure.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

1. G: F plus C. We won't let him die, and also a side quest.
2. A
3. A
4. D

Thought about voting to hear the story of a chef kung fu master, so we could get two teachers for the price of one, but I'm not very sold on the idea. And I guess Nyaa has already come up with some interesting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1: C

2: A

3: A

4: A