Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Jiang Hu (江湖), literally meaning Rivers and Lakes. It was originally used to denote the great wilderness, the vast, untamed space between cities, the lawless lands outside civilization ripe with the possibility of danger and adventure.

Now, it’s a society outside society, a world of outcasts and outsiders, those existing outside the limits of proper and orderly Chinese society. It is a world of criminals and constables, saints and sinners, heroes and villains, a world ruled by its own laws and traditions where achievements and deeds do not go unsung and bring with them power and status.

Wulin (武 林), literally meaning Martial Forest but translated as The Fighting Community or The Martial Brotherhood. Regardless of what they fight for, what ideals they follow, where they come from or how they behave, all heroes share a bond with each other. The Wulin is the society within the Jiang Hu, following the principles of Wu and Xia.

Heroes and villain rise and fall like the sun and moon. Their legend shall be remembered in history, and their mighty deeds shaped Wulin and even across Jiang Hu. For it is a River, ever-flowing and changing; it is a lake where the smallest stone causing ripples across its surface.

Shall we cast the next stone?

A. We shall cast a medium sized stone. It will cause ripple immediately, affecting throughout the lake, but not likely to make the strongest ripple. Lots of learning is required to throw the stone properly.

Translation: Start as a standard adult hero. Point-buy stat and choose from standard class package according to the rulebook. Lots of game mechanic info-dump.

B. No, we will pick up this baby turtle next to the shore. Slowly, we will raise this turtle into a big turtle, and it will make the biggest splash onto the lake when the time comes. If the heavenly stars align, the turtle might one day turn into the dragon of the lake. We will learn the steps to throw this stone passively as it grows.

Translation: Start as a child. Experience the mundane life of Mythic China intersected with wanderers of Wulin. Gradually learn the game mechanic and build our character via choices we made. Greater potential with lots of bonus points if we survive childhood. A true Zero to legend experience.

Welcome, fellow brothers and sisters interested in the Wuxia genre. This is a Choose Your Own Adventure style game based on the tabletop Wuxia RPG game Legend of Wulin and inspirations from the PC game Legend of Wulin Heroes. Depends on which option you choose, we will either start with a hero or a child that will hopefully become a legend in Mythic China; A land where martial art kung fu heroes roam the land, each with their own way of life, and many who wish to shape Wulin in their own image.

If you want to, feel free to join us on CYOA Discord .There are enough people in there to tell you “I have no idea how Ancient China work!”

Year 1 Summary
Year 1 Stat

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SerSpook posted:

We can punch other babies though!
It's not impossible to beat an ordinary adult. Everyone who lacks kung fu are Rank 6 (Unranked), which mean our child can fight equally with the same Lake (dice pool) ! I would rule you suffer heavier injury depends on how seriously mad the adult is though.

But the better way to fight is with ingenuity and wits! :eng101:

Don't fight anyone that know kung fu

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Childhood – Mind
They say heaven have plans for everyone and their destinies are pre-designated. Due to karma of your past life, some may born rich, some may born poor, and some might not even have the opportunity to be born human. However, all soul in the world are allow to make their own choices in life, to pursue and creates their own destiny.

Fortunately, you are born human.

Unfortunately…

“Please spare a silver, good sir!”

You were born a beggar. When the door of your mind opens at the age of 5, you’re told by your father of your family’s current predicament. Your family was once a well-to-do middle class household with a somewhat respectable position in the community. How it falls from grace, however, was denied to you because your father said the matter is too complex for a child to comprehend. Maybe when you are considered an adult around 12 to 14.

Your father thank the random stranger who tossed a silver piece in your family donation bowl, and his gaze returns to the bored, but dignify face that does not befit a beggar. He always stares at the blossom orchard flower that grown up the side of the local tavern. Drunkards always donate more when they lost their senses to their godly ambrosia.

“Your mother always loved those flowers.” He said while reminiscing the past. You once asked about your mother while your father teaches the concept of family to you, and your father only reply after a long pause. “She died from giving birth to you.” Another long pause and he say “Treasure the life that your mother gave you.” You nod.

Ding-ling! Someone donated 5 silvers to the bowl! You and your father give many thanks to the unknown benefactor that considers you two no more than an afterthought.

As the sun reaches the position at the hour of Wèi (1:00pm - 3:00pm), the wave of people lessened as they went back to their job, which is a good time for the beggars to have their turn at lunch. Speaking of job, you asked your father if being a beggar is a job, to which he answers, “no, a beggar does not contribute to the society and they are taking resource from the community without working for it.” You ask your father why we are beggars and he let out a deep sigh as if hindered by complications. Then, he grip on your shoulder with both hands, looks you in the eyes and makes a statement, as if to himself. “We will get out of this. I promise you that we will rise from the ashes and become a productive member of society once more.” He then rises from his mat and gesture you for lunch.

“We have a larger haul today than usual,” your father said with a smile while pocketing the money. “You can eat noodle today.” In which you exclaim in joy. Noodles are a rare and tasty meal for you!

As you two walks to the noodle stand where the shop owner tolerates beggars who can pay, your father would take the opportunity to teach you things of the surrounding. He have been keeping a rigid education regiment of teaching you something whenever you two are not begging or having those quiet moment like looking at the flowers. Thanks to your father dedication, you were able to speak normally, read competently in Chinese, and understood the common etiquette a person should behave, which helped a lot in the begging. You learned that being nice and saying nice things to people will make them donate more. The reverse is also true when you screamed loudly at a wild cat that tried to steal your food once.

A large bowl of Seafood Noodle Soup that worth 5 silver! What a feast! You father tells you to not eat so fast with a bemused expression as you devour this delicious meal that surely none can compare!

Meanwhile, your father took out two veggies buns for himself that worth one silver each. That is the staple food you two consume daily except on very bad day where starving or digging the trash is the only option. Your father always tries to keep you well-fed and grown properly.

Needless to say, your father minimal diet to keep you well-fed has taken a toll to his constitution. Two years passed, your father become bonier as you grown more and require to eat more. Your father has less energy by the day and eventually, he never woke up.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You shake and scream hard at your father’s body, but get no respond. You don’t understand why your father is not moving or reacts to your call. Worries wells up from within as you screams and shakes harder at your father. What else can you do besides waking up your father? His body is very light and also, very cold.

You keep on at it for a while until a passing by madam saw you and your deceased father. She dolefully told you that your father has passed away. You ask her what is ‘passed away’ and she explains the concept of death to you. For the first time in your life, you experience great sorrow. For the whole day, you cry, and cry, and cry beside your father’s body. People that passed by gives you their condolences and leave you some silvers and food. As time goes by, your weeping slows into silent as you sit besides your father. Silently wait for something to happen.

One or two hours after your tearful outburst, two armed men in dark brown uniform arrives. You recognize from your father’s teaching that they are the local police officer. They usually ignore the beggars unless they receive a complaint from a local denizen.

“Ah, there‘s the dead beggar, Officer Rong.” The thinner of the two officers pointed at your direction. His eagle-like eyes pieces at your direction with great sharpness and intimidation.

“Indeed, Officer Wright.” The fat officer who dressed much more loosely compare to his compatriot replied. A look of gross disgust is shown on his face as he looks at you two.

As they approaches, you…
1a) Ferocity – Scream at the approaching men to stay away or y-you will get angry!
1b) Honor – Offer a bow to the approaching officers.
1c) Do nothing.
1d) Write in

The sharp eyes of Wright changed to a looks that’s filled with compassion for your lost. Rong simply smiles and greets you, “Relax, boy. We are here to… Take your father away.” He smiles grow wider. Officer Wright looks at him in shock.

“How can you be so insensitive!?” He questioned his companion in disbelieve.

Rong pick his ears as he reply, “Hey, you don’t need to be so loud. We don’t have all day to make a beggar kid feel better.”

Wright gesture respectfully at your father, “We can spare at least a word of condolence!”

“Don’t overstep your rank, new hire!” The annoyed Rong commands. “I am here to supervise your training and I can mark you down for insubordination!”

“Yes, sir.” Wright grits his teeth at the authority.

“Good, good. Respect my authority is good.” Rong looks at you, “Isn’t that right, kid?”
2a) Loyalty – Yes, it’s important to place one’s interest above self.
2b) Individualism – NO! His personal feeling is more important than your superiority!
2c) I am indifferent to authority.
2d) Write in.

They give each other a glare before putting it aside for another time. The thin and righteous officer lowers himself and says to you in a gentle voice. “I understand how you feel, dear. Everyone have to pass away eventually.” You shake your head to deny childishly at the truth. Wright sighs and continues “I know it’s hard, but your father will soon decompose, and the smell will trouble everyone.” He looks you in the eyes and ask you seriously, “Wouldn’t it be bad if your father is not buried?”
3a) Righteousness - He is right, I have a filial duty as a son to give my parent a proper burial.
3b) Revenge – Ha, serve him right for bringing me into this world as a beggar! He promised me of ridding this terrible life!
3c) I… Don’t know…
3d) Write in

He continues, “Would he want to trouble other people after death?”
4a) Obsession – I WANT MY FATHER WITH ME FOREVER!
4b) Benevolence – He speak the truth. It would be bad to trouble others.
4c) I… But… I-
4d) Write in

Rong stepped in suddenly to complain, “What? We are not wasting time to bury a beggar! Just toss him into the forest and let the wild beast clean it up the natural way!”

Wright’s eyes gone wide and his face goes red at the heartless outburst of his comrade. His hand is on the hilt of his sword. You backed away from the scary pressure that the man emits. When Wright saw your fear, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He stands up to debate with his superior in a calm voice. “Officer Rong, our order is to bury the death. Beggar or not.”

“Tsk.” Rong spit his annoyance out of his mouth. He eyes glance at your bowl of donation for the first time, and he grin a bit wider. “I have a better idea.”

Wright looks at him with suspicious eyes as Rong lowers himself to you with a much… Nicer, chubby, face. “Listen kid,” He begins, “I see you make a fortune with the donation today, and it look like you have earned yourself 100 silver. Well done, very well done.” He eyes the bowl full of silver once more before he continues, “Here’s my offer. Pay us 10 silver and we will do a proper burial for your father. Deal?” You can see Wright’s biting his lip and eyes full of fires. Ready to chastise the inhuman pig.
5a) Force – I will dig a grave for my father instead. With my bare hands if I must.
5b) Ruthlessness – Sure, they can do all the hard work while I watch.
5c) 10 silver!? Th-that’s 10 veggies bun or 2 wonderful bowl of noodle!
5d) Write in.

-------------------
Please vote one for each numbered options. They will decides our character’s Virtue, which is your personal ideal that will eventually become your code of Xia. You don’t need to follow or enact any your ideal, but if you do so in an impressive display of your chosen virtue, you will earn Deeds.
Deeds give you Jose (Luck point) and Entanglement (GM buy you things that tie you to certain story/character/things). The more points you have in certain virtue (Max 5), the more Deeds you earn.

Choosing C will mean I skip those virtues and put more points into other virtues. I will use a percentage based result to determine how many points to put on each virtue. Very low vote count on virtue might be ignored.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 13, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

wiegieman posted:

5 d I will buy a shovel for a single silver, conserving my strength while accomplishing my task.
Shovel cost uhh... 8 - 15 silver, but I guess you can rent it for a silver. As long as you don't broke it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

pre:
1a 11				Ferocity
1b 11111111			Honor
2a 1				Loyalty
2b 111111111			Individualism
3a 11111111111		        Rightousness
3b				Revenge
4a 				Obsession
4b 11111111111		        Benevolence
5a 111111111			Force
5b 1				Ruthlessness

Chivalrous Virtue 
Benevolence 		4
Force			4
Honor			3
Loyalty		        1
Righteousness	        4

Selfish Virtue
Ferocity		1
Individualism		5
Obsession		1
Revenge		        1
Ruthlessness		1
Chivalrous Virtues are ideal that represent the demeanor of the perfect gentleman, a true hero that all people should strive for.

Selfish Virtues are darker drives that urge you to greatness. They aren't necessarily wrong in the
traditional sense. A hero who terribly disfigures all bandits she defeats is still a hero, and a very impressive one at that! She's given respect grudgingly and possibly in secret, but her actions demand respect just the same.

Virtues DO NOT influence your action. They merely reward you for following it. You can spend more Destiny (Exp) to purchase any of them later. I intent to let you redo this when we reach adulthood.

I took the liberty of moving one point from Honor to max out Individualism because the reward for selfish virtue is slightly different and equally helpful to have.

------------------------------------------------------

Some scholar debates that a person’s ideal are shaped by its environment. Your heart was touched by your father’s dedication to raise you. As such, this Chivalrous heart leads you to oppose everything that is Rong.

Achievement Unlocked

+1 Chivalrous Joss

Officer Wright nods in responds to your continuous denial to the superior Officer Rong’s merciless attitude toward the weak and powerless. He sees you in better lights and might be considering you a friend that’s worth having. Your response might also have calmed the displeasure of Wright and prevented an outright action of insubordination from occurring today.

On the other hand, great displeasure is shown on the meaty face of Rong. “You think you can dig a grave all by yourself, kid?”

Wright turns around, “What do you mean all by himself, We-“

Rong’s eyes darts at Wright and interrupt, “HE will dig the grave himself. This is an order. Is that clear?”

Wright is awestrucked at the ruthlessness of this man of authority. Going so far to bully a kid by letting him dig his father’s grave all alone? Such disrespectful and in-

“Even so, I will do it. It’s my filial duty as a son to make sure my father can rest in peace.” You say proudly with righteous confidence.

Rong bellows his laugh at your declaration. His belly moves like waves of clouds drifting through the sky in a windy day. “You hear that? Wright? This kid sure talks big!”

“B-but there’s no way this kid can possibly do it!” Wright tries to reason with Rong.

The reasoning ceased Rong’s merriment. He put his face close to Wright and pokes a finger at his chest. “Wright, last warning, if you try to waste our time by helping a random beggar, then I will do all in my power make sure you won’t get this job ever again.”

Angers return to Wright. He looks at you, and looks back at Rong, mentally deciding a difficult choices of helping you, disobey his superior, and possibly not able to feed his family from losing his job. The Chivalrous virtues in his mind are fighting with each other in this moral dilemma.

1A) Dig it with my BARE HANDS.
1B) Borrow/lease a shovel from someone.
1C) Try to find a shovel from the trash.
1D) Try to craft a low quality makeshift shovel that would break easily/instantly.
1E) Write in.

2A) Ask Wright to help you, even if that means he will lose his job.
2B) Let him decide.
2C) Reassure Wright that you can handle it.
2D) Write in.

------------------------------------------------------

Note: You currently have 1 Chivalrous Joss and 3 starting joss that can be either type. You can only have a max of 10 Chivalrous Joss and 10 Malicious Joss.

Joss
*Joss are luck and fortune that player can affect the odds of certain actions.
*They are also narrative currency that can let you create minor and reasonable coincident. A certain item is discovered at a reasonable place, a chance meeting with someone you have involvement with or with that person's other ties.
*Some Secret Arts use Joss, but you don’t have any yet.

Example Usage:
- Spend a Chivalrous Joss to increase your odds to find a shovel (Shovel quality depends on skill roll result).
- Spend a Chivalrous Joss to increase your odds in digging the grave.
- Spend a Chivalrous or Malicious Joss to ‘minor coincidentally’ find a worn-out shovel somewhere.
- Spend a Malicious Joss whenever Rong and anyone tries to hinder you by decreasing their odd of success.

Note: Your current rank only allow spending one joss per round/action.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 14, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

pre:
1a  1		Bare hands
1b  111		Borrow/lease Shovel
1e  1111	Buy shovel
2a  		Ask help
2b  11		Let him decide
2c  111111	Reassure
“Mister Wright,” You call for the attention of the perplexed adult. He turns to you and you reassure him that you can handle it because you are going to buy a shovel.

Rong squeak with joy at your agreement with him for once. “That’s the spirit, boy!” He says to Wright, “You heard the beggar, he want to do this himself, don’t get in his way.” Wright is clearly not reassured, but can’t find the right word nor action in this situation. He resigned to following you to the store with Rong for now.

You gathered your 100 silvers and donated food that should last you for today. You give a last glance at your deceased father’s body one last look before setting out to the general store.

The local shopping district has a variety of products on display on each store at every possible angle to attract customer. Some are intriguing while others are unknown to you. As much as you wished to indulge yourself in window shopping, you father has long since drilled into your head that you shouldn’t touch or look too long at things that you can’t afford. The two adults besides you also serve as a constant reminder for you to buy that shovel.

“Welcome.” The old shopkeeper greets its incoming customer while noting his ledger on the table. “What can I ge-“ He pause a moment as he looks up to the scenery of two officers accompanying a beggar kid. “Officers, is there something wrong?” The shopkeeper inquires while mentally connecting that possible dot of beggar thievery of his merchandise.

“No, no, this kid just wants to buy a shovel.” Rong explains casually with the old shopkeeper.

“A shovel, huh?” The old man looks at you, “That would be 10 silvers each.”

Rong squat down next to you, the mass of meat folds itself neatly in layers until he looks like a boulder. The meaty boulder elbow you lightly as he whispers, “Hey kid, you hear that? You could have paid one of us to do all the hard work instead!”

You REASSURE the boulder-man that owning a shovel is good for your future and self-defense. Though you don't know what else you can use a shovel for. The boulder is not impressed as it unfolds itself back into Rong.

Goodbye, two bowls of noodle soup. You mentally anguish as you hand over the 10 silvers.

“Hold on, shopkeeper.” Wright interrupts. You and the shopkeeper look up at the officer from the interrupted transaction. “This kid is purchasing a shovel to bury his recently deceased father. Can’t you find it in your heart to give him a discount?”

The old shopkeeper looks at you with a new found respect in his eyes, “Ahh, you are that beggar that’s mourning all morning!” He questions the two officers, “Shouldn’t you two be the one to bury his father?”

“It-“ Wright stopped on what he wanted to say as Rong gives him a warning glare. He continues after a moment, “… It’s complicated. The kid… Wish to bury his father personally.”

Nodding in approval, the shopkeeper says, “Admirable. Even a young beggar know his filial duty as a son.” He spent a short moment studying your face, as if to memorize something worthy of remembering. He continues, “Very well, I can offer the lowest of 8 silvers to this child. It’s the best I can offer.”

“Thank you, sir!” You reply gleefully at regaining two veggi buns! The concept of bargaining has never occur to you before! You also thank Wright for his help and he gives you a nod with a smile.

Rong standing at the side, poking at things to keep him entertained while muttering to himself. “Hmph! Just two silvers, what a waste a time.”

Back at your father’s corpse, you and Rong watches Wright lifts your father’s body into the wooden cart. He tells you to follow them to the nearby hill outside the outskirt of town, halfway between the town and the forest, where they await for you to dig your father a grave.

The new shovel you’ve gotten is quite sturdy and also the smallest size the store have to offer, but it’s still a bit longer than you liked. It wasn’t a tool meant for children, but you will have to improvise.

You stab the shovel into the earth with a good mustering of your strength. It got in like half a inch deep… This might take a while. After a few more attempts, you can feel the fatigue is setting in and you have to take a break. Wright brings you some water and food, he urges you to give up before hurting yourself. He whisper that he will return his share of the 10 silvers to you later, so you only need to pay 10 silver to Rong.

Rong laughs at the pitiful amount of soils being unearthed, he expects you to give up soon…

You…
1) Give up, pay them to do it for you instead
2) Dig long enough to annoy Rong before giving up
3) Dig for as long as it takes
4) Write in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 17, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Rockopolis posted:

So are we going make a living as a gravedigger? Is our signature weapon going to be a Monk's Spade?
We will start the job hunt after this, which include beggar, of course. They will be part-time job format for you to test it out... Maybe 9 time? What you choose during and after this will determine your starting Skills after time skip.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 17, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Childhood - Body

Earth sways from the might of your shovel. Although not by much, you move the soil little by little, like an ant that gathers the sand - one grain at a time.

Hours passed as the sun rise to the sky. It’s getting hotter. Rong ordered Wright to fetch him the bamboo umbrella and lots of water. He also got you a hat to shield you from the sun and a black sheet of fabric to covers your father’s corpse.

*Dig* *Rest* *Dig*

“Are we really going to spend the rest of the day here?” Wright asked dully while holding the umbrella over Rong.

Rong sits on a flatbed rock while chewing a pear as he watches you. “Of course.” He reply annoyed.

*Dig** Rest **Dig*

“Is it really worth 20 silvers to do all this? And what about supervising my-“ Wright questions.

“IT’S NOT ABOUT THE FRIGGING 20 SILVERS!” Rong toss the pear so hard on the ground that it splattered into pieces. He holds a fist upward, jumping up and down in an amusing manner, and says to Wright, “THIS IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE! THE KID NEEDS TO KNOW HIS PLACE! I AM THE AUTHORITY!”

Wright rolls his eyes, “I see.”

You stopped shoveling for a bit to watch the spectacle. He saw you and asks if you are giving up, you shakes your head and continues. He continues his tantrum.

* Rest ** Rest **Dig*

After a while the plump of a man settle down to take nap. “Wake me when he gives up.” He ordered Wright.

* Rest ** Rest **Rest*

Nightfall, the star shines brightly in the dark blue sky, the full moon illuminated the land, providing night farer extra time to work in the dark. Too bad you are completed exhausted and you’re just waiting for Rong to wake up.

Rong awakes slowly with a drooling face. He looks around. It’s dark. “Wha? Why is it so dark?” He turns to Wright as he quickly regains his sense, “You fool! Why didn’t you wake me up!?”

In the most monotonous voice, Wright replies, “You order is to wake you up when the kid gives up, sir.”

Rong look at you, turning his neck so fast that it might actually stretch out like a turtle. “It’s all your fault that I am late for home!” He points at you with a finger. “Give up already, kid!”

“No.” You reply with stubbornness. Even though you can barely feel your arms and legs anymore.

“drat stubborn kid!” Rong screamed out of his lung at the night sky. Then he goes to inspect the hole you dug. “This is like one-seventh of a hole!? You won’t be able to keep this up for six more days!”

“We will see about that.” You retort with arms folded.

Wright interjects, “I think we should all go home… Uhh, to the place where we sleep.”

Rong rubs his eyes, “Good idea. I am spent for the day.”

Wright gazes at the man that barely worked at all. “What about supervising me?”

“Hmm? Yea, yea, you pass. I will fill that report tomorrow.” Rong replies with drowsy eyes.

“What about his father?” Wright further inquires.

Rong answer back with a question. “What about it?”

“The corpse could be eaten by wild beast if we can’t bury it tonight.” Wright points out.

“Push it back to the town.” Wright mumbles, slowly slipping back to half-awakeness.

Wright sighs, and begin to push the corpse back to the town, completely ruined the point of this task in the first place. He gesture you to sit on the side of the cart, which is good, because you can barely move your muscle.

--------
Wright offered to find you an inn, but you wish to be with your father. That night, you slept right under the wooden cart where your father resides. It serves as a mini shelter and you get to spent a bit more time with your father. You ask your father what you will do from now on. He didn’t answer. Weeping quietly, fatigue claims you into your dream.

-------

Pain. Pain haunts your body. Soreness covers your whole body as if you’ve been mildly paralyzed. Raising your body is like lifting a heavy bag and it feels like dozen hands are pulling your legs when you use it. You don’t think you can work at all in your condition. Pushing yourself any further mig-

“Oh there you are!” An elderly man peeks down at you crawling slowly under the cart. He is casually dressed like any other townsfolk, but much healthier than people his age. You inquire who he is as he helps pull you out of your makeshift shelter, he answers, “I am Old Man Liu. Just a retired elderly enjoying the final years that heaven granted me.” He gives you a shoulder rub as he continues, “You are the Filial Kid that people are talking about, aren’t you?” You nod. “Your deed are beginnings to spread like wild fire, it is the main topic at the tea house, which is where I heard it first.” He pats you at the back lightly with a laugh.

Your shoulder feels a bit better from the rubbing; you ask why it’s that. “Oh, ho? They are that bad? Well, to answer your question, rubbing the sore spot helps the blood circulate, which rejuvenate the affected area. My grandchild rubs my shoulders all the time, and I did the same for him, but he didn’t like it though.” He laughs.

You try rubbing your sore spot experimentally and decided to try to hopefully remedy the pain with this relieving method during the cart ride. “Do you need a shoulder rub?” You look up at the old man who is patiently waiting for you as if he needed more rubbing.

He laughs again and says, “No, no, as much as I want to, it’s Officer Rong who sent me here.” He explains, “He said he’s busy today, but needed someone to watch over you at the hill, so I volunteered!”

You thank him for his guardianship in your duty, and suggest you two to depart immediately. He holds out a hand and say, “Woah, woah, kid. You have good enthusiasm, but don’t forget to feed your belly!”

Your stomach rumbles, he’s right. You need the energy to work.

“Where to?” Liu ask, “I hope we aren’t digging the trash for food.” He jokingly states. Then he expressed turned serious, “We aren’t, right?”

You shake your head and you decide…

YES! YES! SEAFOOD NOODLE SOUP! NO VOTE, JUST EAT! SEAFOOD NOODLE SOUP!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

“Ahh, you like noodle huh?” Liu ask as he sat down next to you. You nod with the biggest smile on your face.

He smile too, and say, “Then I too-, “He searches for his wallet for a while and his smile slowly fade. “Darn it, I forgot my wallet!”

You…

1) Buy him three veggi buns (3 silver)
2) Buy him a seafood noodle soup (5 silver)
3) He can go back to get his own wallet
4) Write in

You currently have 87 silvers, you need at least 5-9 silvers per day for a full three meals of veggies buns depends on your activity. You probably need 10 silvers for the full day exertion you are doing, and maybe five more days to dig that hole. Noodle soup are only as filling as three veggies buns, but they make you happy and motivated.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 19, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

“Such generosity!” Old Man Liu pats you on the back and laughing heartily. “I own you one, kid! From today on, you can call me Uncle Liu!”

“Okay, Uncle Liu…” You reply with a heavy heart as you pay another 5 silvers.

“One Seafood Noodle Soup coming up!” The chef lowers his signature meal in front of you. He gave you a wink and goes back to work. The bowl is filled with at least twice the amount of contents compares to before.

Did heaven find mercy in your plight? People are actually nice to you! What bliss to have such fortune for a noodle bowl to have extra fillings! You indulge in joy… Except, it… Doesn’t feel the same. This suppose to be great, the taste is great, yes, but... Something is missing. You become sullen by the lack of something important.

Uncle Liu rubs you back, “What’s wrong, boy? The shrimp’s too small?”

You shake your head. It’s not that. “The noodle is perfect. Everything on the bowl is perfect, but… Something is missing…”

Taking a swoop of noodles into his mouth, Uncle Liu closed his eyes to focus on the taste and confirms, “Yes, the noodle is wonderful.”

Stomach rumbling for more noodles, but you can’t seem to work up the appetite for it. You are feeling… Sad? For some reason. You ask Uncle Liu if he knows why?

He finishes up chewing an octopus tentacle and asks, “Does your father always bring you to this place?”

Your heart ache, “No, not always. Eating noodle is a rare occasion for us. It’s for when there’s something worth cerebrating or we earned a lot of silvers on a good day.”

“You missed your father, boy.” He answered. Then take a sip of the soup before continuing. “Your happiness doesn’t come from the noodle, but from your father.”

Tears welling up in your eyes socket, “How can I enjoy noodles again?”

Uncle Liu moves some of his shrimps to your bowl with his chopstick. “My boy. Food, is a very important part of our culture. ‘Have you eaten?’ is a more common greeting than ‘Hello’. At the end of the day, people will get hungry. They will all sits down and eat. But, why do some people choose to sits down and eat with other people?”

You shake your head, not knowing the answer.

Uncle Liu holds up one half of a stick on his left hand while the other half on his right hand. “Food brings people together.” He presses both sticks together to become whole.

“But I can’t be with my father anymore!” You argues, tears begin to flows.

He slowly spins the chopsticks with one hand, “Do you know why chopsticks are so long?”

You shake your head, not knowing the answer. Sobbing.

He picks up some veggies on his bowl, and passes it to your bowl with the chopsticks. “It is invented to help people shares food with each other. Help each other solve their hunger while sharing the joy you found to others.” He places the chopstick on the bowl, apparently finished. “Just like your father who shares this wonderful noodle with you. You are sharing this wonderful noodle with me.” He gave you a hug. “I am happy to taste this wonderful noodle, boy. Do you feel the joy of sharing this food with others?”

You nod and cry in his warm embrace. It feels just like father’s.

-------------------
You have discovered a way to gain a new Minor Hyperactivity (minor temporary buff).

Whenever you share a great meal with someone, you gain +5 to all applicable tasks of a goal that you both are working toward. The effect last until next meal time and that person must be present in your activities to apply.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

After the meal, you both return to your father’s corpse. Wright is waiting next to it. “Ah, there you are. “He said.

“Greeting, Officer Wright,” Uncle Liu greets with a strange gesture of wrapping the right fist on the left palm, and bowing slightly. “Are you here to push the cart to the gravesite for us?”

“On the contrary, Mr. Liu.” He greets back with the same gesture. “My superior Rong doesn’t think the kid can finish the dig by today, so he orders me to move the body to the morgue for preservation.”

“Ah, very wise of him.” Liu stroke his beard. “But there is more to this kid than he thought.”

“Haha, surely you jest, Mr. Liu.” He looks at you, “No disrespect, but we both have seen how much he can dig in one day.” He looks back at Uncle Liu with a smile, “…Unless you plan to help him dig?”

“Of course not.” Liu says with a bemused expression, “Officer Rong chooses me out of all the other volunteers because the best I can lift is chopstick and tea cups.” He laughs.

Wright bows slightly and apologetically, “Not at all, Mr. Liu. I am sure he chose you for your just and fair character to ensure this kid can complete his filial deed without going astray.“

“He will get the grave done, I promise.” Uncle Liu gave you a wink as he said that.

“Very well, I am relieved that he is under your care. We will come again sometime this afternoon to measure his progress.” He holds up the hand gesture and shakes it for a farewell.

Uncle Liu does the same gesture as he departs with your father on the cart.

OH NO! HE TOOK THE CART! You were planning to rub your aching muscles on the cart ride. Now you have to walk there too! Officer Rong is a devious schemer indeed!

It can’t be helped. You and Uncle Liu walks to the gravesite. The journey was thankfully slow as Uncle Liu walked very slowly like all elderly do. You did your best to rub both your arms in the meantime and they are much relieved by the time you two reached the dig site. The sun is already half way up the sky. You don’t have much time to lose as you need to get it done before your limited savings are burned up in this task. Uncle Liu sat down on the flat stone bed and brings out his tea set from his basket to enjoy the supervision.

*Dig* *Slow dig* *diiiiiiig*

Barely half an hour into the digging, your body are in pure agony from the forced physical exertion. Your heart is beating hard trying to fix the sore muscles that you refuse to let it rest. At this rate, you might have to take a day off every two days- “Boy.” -and your funding will be ruined, you will be starving on the 7th day- “Boy!” -rapid thoughts trouble your mind as it scream ‘oh heaven why I ate the noodle this morning’, ‘what can I do’, ‘my father will remind unburied’, ‘his body will be dumped into the forest’, ‘I’m sorr-‘

“BOY!” Uncle Liu’s yell brought your mind back to reality. He gestures you to come to him. You do so. He pats on the stone bed next to him to gesture you to sit. You do so. “Have you reached your limit? Do you wish to give up?” He asked.

You know you have reached your physical limit…
A) Nod, and give up.
B) Shake your head, but give up.
C) Shake your head. Refuse to give up.
D) Nod, but refuse to give up.
E) Write in.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Tears wells up in your eyes, but you nod at your weakness, but you say you won't give up.

Uncle Liu gives you a hug, “Such a strong child” He said. Then, he stands up and sits down next to the stone bed. “Rest yourself on the stone bed, boy. Your body needs all the rest you can afford. “

You try to protest, but you don’t have any other alternative, so rest on top of the stone bed. It’s very flat, as if someone cut a line through it. It’s also very hard, and it might be better to rest on the grass instead. Is that why Uncle Liu sits on the grass? You asked him that.

“Hoho, no. Softness does not mean it’s good for the body. Regardless of what is suitable for your body to lie upon, the reason I have you rest on it is because it’s flat and on a good height.”

You rub your muscle while he explains, but Uncle Liu stopped you from rubbing and told you to close your eyes, and listen to him carefully.

“Long time ago,” He begins, “I was a traveler sleeping in foreign beds that I can’t get used to.” You heard him take a sip of his tea before continuing, “And many sleepless night troubles me. Even the doctors can’t keep me asleep for a single full night. Fortunately, I met an unnamed gentleman who showed me a method to attain good sleep. Today, I will pass it down to you.” You heard him take in a deep breath. “Take in a deep breath and release it like I do.” You did so. “Good.”

“Now, without opening your eyes, remember your surround scenery. Listen to the voices of nature. From those voices, find the voice of the wind.”

Wind? You listened to surrounding. The loudest sound is the birds chirping their eternal song on the tree. To whom do they sing the song? Next, the swaying of the tree and grass by the wind. Are those the sound of wind? No. It’s the sound of tree and grass.

Finally, a particularly strong wind sing pass you, and you hear it. FWOOOOCH~~~

You say you heard it and Uncle Liu say, “Good, remember that sound. Then try to breathe in and blow out in the same sound as the wind.”

Taking in a deep breath, you blew out a “FWOOOOCH~~~” sound.

“Excellence. That’s the sound. Now, turn the sound backward and make that sound while breathing in.” Uncle Liu instructed.

You thought of how that would sound and give it a try. You breath in, “ HCOOOOWF~~~” You breath out, “FWOOOOCH~~~”. At that moment, your body feels light, as if the air you let in has travelled far into your body. You repeat the excise many more time until your breathing itself is doing the sound naturally instead of your lung.

You feel Uncle Liu’s hand placed on your abdomen. “Now, breathe in and hold the air in this spot.” You did so and you can feel…

Chi.

The gentle and strong wind that trapped in your body spin and dash through your body, it’s a refreshingly cool feeling, but it settled down in your belly eventually.

Then, it begins to spins vertically, circulating through your whole body in harmonic motion with your blood. Your blood sways like wave of water, your soreness wash away, and your fatigue wiped along with the cooling breeze. This moment of serene calm could go on forever, but you felt a touch on your shoulder.

“Wake up.” Uncle Liu said. You open your eyes.

The sun has rise to its highest point in heaven. Uncle Liu stands next to you and gesture you to get up. You do so and…

The soreness is gone. Only minimal traces of it can be felt and there’s something else different. In your abdomen, is a feeling of an expanded world that connects throughout your body.

Uncle Liu pats on your head. “Go on, you have digging to do.” You nod and continue this impossible task.

You grip the shovel in your hand once more. Your muscle did not scream in soreness. You took a deep breath the way you did before, and your body feels charged with energy.

You stab the shovel into the soil. The whole head of the shovel goes in! You begin digging a lot more soil from each swing.

--------------------------
Digging Roll: 0 3 6 8 2 6
Result: 26 + 5 = 31

I just want to say how appropriate this dice roll is. You just gained one more dice from the rank up and that is the dice that helped you succeed. That and the +5 from the meal/Liu boost!
----------------------------

*Dig**DIg* *DIG*

Each breath fills you with strength to continue digging. Each strike plow the earth a full size shovel hole and each motion send soils flying.

*DIG**DIG**DIG*

At dusk, you finished half a hole. A proper size hole in fact! You were planning to dig enough to cover the body in three inches, but with your new found stamina, you are going the full six feet (You asked Uncle Liu) that’s suitable for a coffin!

When Wright brought you two dinners, his exclaim in surprise, “Wow, that’s a deep hole!” You both laughed.

Wright asks Uncle Liu if he has helped you, he denied and answers “Nothing of the physical nature.” It took you to swing the shovel again to convince Wright that you really do, indeed, digged that hole. He congratulates you and comment on how quick children grows. At this rate, you will finish the hole by tomorrow evening.

Would everything go as planned?

1) Everything went well.

2) Lore Sheet: Digging a Grave – (Gain 2 destiny) Interference

This is a custom lore sheet purchase that you can buy to gain bonus destiny (EXP) for some sort of trouble(s) with your grave digging. It could stretch into something longer than expected. Maybe three to five updates or more.

3) Write in Lore Sheet. Require GM approval.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Grognan posted:

1 gently caress YOU RONG
lmao

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'd say more, but I don't want to step on Nyaa's toes here.
Go ahead and explain any mechanic you like. I might do it a little differently due to the single character and voting nature of this CYOA.

Nondevor posted:

2 I'm curious as to what the lore sheet does. And you never know, it could turn into something like shovel kung-fu... Or it'd give more character perks like chi regulation or something.
Legend of Wulin is a system that let the player buy their destiny. Lore sheet can let you buy things that related to it or whatever the gm approves. They are the goal you choose to pursue in plot format and anything you buy are guarantee to be obtained in the end or sooner. After the tutorial, I will toss in a few lore sheet for you all to pick your 'main/side quest' or you can submit one instead.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Skip 1111111111
Lore 1111111

Oh well. Here’s the summary for the plot that never happened.

When you return to finish up the grave next day, Rong is already there telling you there’s no hole, which is shocking to you and the late-arriving Wright to discovers the hole has been filled with soil and lots of rocks to make the digging harder.

You have a choice of digging it again, dig another spot, or accuse Rong of the vile deed. Wright would side with you this time. Halfway through your choice, a servant from the morgue comes to report that your father’s body was gone! Of course, Rong denied any involvement if you accuse him once more.

Next is the investigation phase where you follow Wright, Rong, and Uncle Liu to a few important scenes and interview a few people. You get to tag around and can choose to help find clues that Wright has missed, which will contribute to proving Rong is the culprit.

About three conveniently and very easily found evidences later, your party has gather enough to prove Rong is the culprit and send him to jail. Moreover, you will be granted the choice to find more clues to further strengthen the evidences. You might even find the hiding place of your father! However, as you gather more evidences, they begin to contradict the earlier evidences until you come to a conclusion, Wright was the real culprit. This is all a plot to frame Rong to make him lose his job. You have a choice to present this evidences immediately to make Wright lose his job or confront him privately with or without Uncle Liu.

If you do confront him, he will explain that he is doing a chivalrous deed by sending the scum, Rong, to prison. Uncle Liu would disagree with the shady method, but he will let you decides the outcome of this. If you agree with Wright, then Rong get fired and go to jail, but if you disagree with Wright and depend on how you confront him with your own philosophy of chivalry virtue, you might have to fight Wright. Uncle Liu’s actions here are omitted for spoilers. If Wright wins, you are knocked out and when you wake up, Rong is in prison and all evidence on Wright is gone. If Wright lose, you beat the villain and can choose to get Wright fired+prison, Rong fired+prison, or cover it all up and let it pass.

All choices allows write-in, of course. :v:
-------------------------------------------

Speaking of write-in, you will choose some part-time jobs next update to determine your starting skill, and you are welcome to make some recommendation for entry level job while I work on the next update!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Walking back to the city, you asked Uncle Liu why this amazing sleeping method make you feel so great, and he replies, “I am amaze by your increase of stamina myself! I merely feel healthier for the long years of doing it, but you seem to benefit much greater from the method than I do.” He strokes his beard and ponder, “Maybe I should try doing it at the stone bed too.”

That night, you practiced the breathing method while asleep and you have the most restful night you ever felt as you woke up the next morning fully refreshed. Uncle Liu comes to pick you up again, and this time he pays you back by treating you to Seafood Noodle Soup! Wonderful! Amazing! Marvelous!

When you two reached the dig site, Wright and Rong are already there waiting for you.

“Took you long enough, kid.” Said the annoyed Rong with folding arms. “I could have dug a whole grave while waiting for you!”

“Incontestably true, sir.” Wright said as he stands beside Rong, slowly developing his sarcastic tone for his superior.

Rong smiles and nod approval at his underling, failing to detect the sarcasm. He turns back to you, “Now kid, I heard that dug that half assed hole over there,” He points at the hole, “While it is nothing impressive, I highly doubted you have dug it yourself, so I will be watching you dig the rest of it this time!” He smirks and points at the cart nearby, “Along with your father.”

You grab the shovel, and showed him. Oh yes, you showed him good.

*DIG* *DIG* *DIG*

You have become an efficient machine that can keep digging and not require a lot of rest beside eating and drinking. You have a eat a bit more to accommodate the extra exertion of this non-stop labor, but watching the surprised face that Rong made is worth the couple of veggies buns.

*DIG* *DIG* *DIG*

As time goes by, people begin to arrive here to watch you dig. Rumor of a young filial beggar child who’s digging a grave for his father has spread enough to attract some spectators. Most are the retired old folks who come camping to watch, but around afternoon, people who are release from your job also come with their family to watch. By dawn, you completed digging the grave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You satisfied your Force Virtue, which earn you the Deed of Force!

+4 Chivalrous Joss!
+4 Entanglement!

Entanglements are free lore points for the person who grants you the deed to spend on things that related to your achievement. So I will spend all 4 points on…

Lore: Home Town
Filial Child
4 Status: Your tragic and touching story has reached the whole town. Your deed inspired many and your filiality becomes the model of how a child should behave. Just not the digging part...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sky is dark, but the surrounding lantern lights from the audience provide you with amble and festive light to see it clearly. They applaud at your completion of your difficult task. Rong walks in pat your back and sucking up to your fame with congratulatory words. You want to say something about him, and to him, but were interrupted by other people walking up to you to praise your success. You even receive offers to work at the local establishments!

Uncle Liu settles down everyone, and makes a heartfelt speech to congratulate the occasion. Many shed a tear as Uncle Liu narrates the sorrowful moment in your journey and how your strong resolve to overcome the difficult task has led you to this point. Everyone gave you a second applause at the end of the speech. Heaven surely would smile upon your action these two days.

A few strong man offers to help carries you father into the grave and even fill it up, and you only make a ceremonial shove of the final soil to complete bury. It is done. The local priest leads the spectators to offer your father a sutra chant for his ascends to heaven and attain true peacefulness. He deserves it.

A few days later, the local governor commissioned to elect a memorial stone near your father’s grave to record your filial deed for generations to come. You were bathed clean and given proper dress for once and Uncle Liu (Or someone else willing) becomes your official guardian to provide housing and proper care for you. You could refuse and stay in the street, of course.

The night of the ceremony, you have a little party in Uncle Liu’s house with your friend Wright. The conversations turns into concern for your future, and Uncle Liu say, “Although only wealthy kid can afford to go to school at his age, I can certainly pay for his tuition. If he wish to learn a trade for his life, it is also good.” When you ask about begging, he frown and replies, “It would be wise to not return to your life as a beggar without good reason. You should always strive to become better and try doing something for the community.”

Wright commends, “This kid has potential, I am sure he can excel at any difficult job.” He looks at you with a smile, “He might even get to be a watch guard.”

Wright stroke his beard slowly, “He certainly have a lots of career path opened up to him. I am sure he will find one he likes in time.” He looks to you smiling, “Boy, with your fame and my persuasion, I’m sure you can get any entry level job in the city you likes as part-time, just go ask around, think about it yourself, and tell me what you want to do for… Let’s say two years.”

You want to…
1) Go to school (Scholar)
2) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Resturant)
3) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Noodle Stand)
3) Waiter/washer -> Cook (Tea House)
4) Work under Rong (Gang, Assitant Undertaker)
5) Grave digger
6) Street Sweeper
7) Beggar
8) Doctor Apprentice
9) Apprentice Buddist Monk
10) Apprentice Taoist Priest
11) Longshoreman/Laboror
12) Shop Apprentices
13) Traveling Merchants assistant
14) Farmer
15) Artisan Apprentice
16) Stable Boy
17) Blacksmith apprentice
18) Stonemason
19) Hunter apprentice
20) Watch guard
21) Delivery Agency worker
22) Street Performer apprentice
23) Animal Breeder worker
24) Storyteller Apprentice
25) Book Copier
26) Street Singer apprentice
27) House Servant
28) Baker
29) Bottler (Alcohol house)
30) Carpenter
31) Miner
32) Clothier
33) Gardener
34) Night soil
35) Messenger/Errand Boy (Within town only)
30) Write-in.

If shady or disreputable job like working in gambling house win, then I will make it happen.

Pick Three Jobs, schooling counts as one.

You can ask anyone any question.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Nondevor posted:

If we go to school, can we still get a part-time job at some of these establishments? Our deceased father seems to have come from a nice background before falling out of grace, so he'd probably want us to go learn.
Yes, you are taking three of these in the period of two years. We can mix and match the time as we see fits.

quote:

But what's night soil?
Night Soil. Aka Poop collector.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

pre:
Noodle      	 13
Grave Digger	 4
School		 14
Delivery	 6
Street Performer 2
Doc Appr.	 2
Watch guard 	 3
Cook		 2
Gardener 	 3
Taoist		 3
Blacksmith	 2
Job - Intro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You begin your schooling life at the dawn of the day. The school is located at the far west side of the town where the wealthy populates. Although it is a school for those who can afford it, the building itself is quite old and the size of a classroom filled with wooden tables and chairs.

An elderly man walks into the class; he sat down in the teacher’s seat, stroking his white beard as his survey for empty seats. His eyes fall on you as are many others, “Oh? You must be the new student. The… ” He pauses to recall your name…

1) Your father never told you your name; he said he would when he restores your family, but that won’t happen anymore…
A) Write-in
B) Nick name/title, people can call me for what I deserve. Currently, ‘Filial Child’.
C) Liu, as your guardian.

You reminded him, and he replies, “Ah, yes. Welcome to Heaven Fall Elementary.” He turns to the class, “As we have a new student today, this would be a good opportunity to remind everyone the reason for coming to school.” He coughs to clear his lung, “School prepares you to take the decennial Government Tests to get a good job in the government. The better your score, the better job position will be offered. Your wealth and family background, Mr. Li Foil,” He looks at a certain oily haired student in the class, “will not ‘buy’ you a position.”

The boy shrugs with a smug.

The teacher peer to another bulky boy, “Nor will being a good fighter alone get you the position of a general.”

The bulky boy folds his arms in annoyance.

“Ah yes, people call me Know Fuu.” He turns his head back to you, “In here, we learn to read and write, memorized Confucian philosophy, famous poetry, and occasionally paint picture. You do not learn advance math or how the world works, as those are for merchant, accountant, or priest to explain their inner intricacy to you.”

Satisfied with the syllabus of this class, the teacher begins the class.

Learning Roll: 0 9 1 5 7 0

Result: 20

:stare: Once again, the sixth dice that you got from your chi training helped you succeed and also...

When you get a set of zero, I can involve ‘Interesting Time’. It’s something else that was unforeseen or unintended happened as a result of the roll’s action. Interesting Time will not negate your success or failure, just complicate it. If you accept Interesting Time on a success roll, you get Chivalrous Joss. On failure roll, it makes things worst, but you gain a Malicious Joss for the trouble.

2) Do you accept Interesting Time?
A) Yes
B) No
C) ALWAYS INTERESTING TIME!

Note: You have 5 Chivalrous Joss and can only hold 5 more. You can spend Joss anytime.

Example of Interesting Time for Success:
*Your mighty attack pushes away your opponent just as intended, but he smashed into a nearby house which collapses. You can hear the cries for help from those within.

* Your impressive speech has made the locals see how corrupt the magistrate is, but perhaps a little too well. The next day, shady figures follow you back to the inn…

*While searching for information, your friendly compliments towards the lady at the noodle shop have been entirely misunderstood. Her husband would like a word with you…

------------------------------------------------------------
The school is over by noon. You went to your noodle job at its busiest time. It’s the time where you always begged near the restaurant, so you never get the chance to see this place at its peak activity.

All tables are filled with people, most being the laborer kind that talks loudly and rowdily.

A muscular customer shouts, “Hey, Nood York! When are you starting the show?”

The noodle chef shouts back, “Hold your horses, you muscle toe! I got an apprentice coming to learn the art!”

“An apprentice!? You found someone who will learn your weird cooking!” A scholar interjects with a jest.

“Hey! Don’t call it weird, you guys enjoy it!” Nood retorts in jest, “And that kid wants to learn it himself! I could care le-“ He spotted you, “Oh, there you are!” The customers turn to you, whisper of ‘Filial child’ can be heard as you walks toward the chef.

“What!?” The muscleman barks, “Won’t that grave digging curse the noodle?” A round of laughter erupts.

The scholar reply, “No way, this is the filial child! He is clearly blessed by heaven. Maybe you would be more filial to your old mother if you ate his noodle!” Another round of laughter erupts.

Nood gesture you to sit at the front and say, “Alright, kid. I will show you why all these people here come to eat my noodles instead of the one in the restaurant!” He brought out large dough on the cooking table.

“Because it tastes better!” A chubby man in red shout.

“You got that right, Cartman!” Giving the man a thumb up, Nood continues, “See, a few years ago, I would be kneading, rolling, and gently caressing this dough into a thing of beauty. “

“And then I pissed you off!” The scholar laughs with pride.

“And then he pissed me off!” Nood repeats as he suddenly punches the dough as hard as he could with fury. He grabs the unflattened end of the dough, lift the whole thing up and repeatedly slam it like a bludgeon weapon. “It pissed me so bad; I started beating the crap out of this dough like it has murdered my family!” He stretches the dough wide like an upside down rainbow start spinning it with centrifugal force for a dozen second. “I thought it would scare him off for good,” He presses the dough back into the ball. “But guess what? People treat it like a street performance where I beat the poo poo out of this dough and I got myself an audience.” He toss the ball high in the sky, “It’s great stress relief and people like the show and-“, he grabs the cutting knife and air slice the falling dough a few times before it land in three pieces. “The noodle will be very smooth after this rough treatment.” He concludes as he chops the pieces normally into fine noodle.

The scholar says to you as he pulls out a fan to fan himself, “If only the restaurant chef bothers to stretch the dough to such degree, I wouldn’t have to go through this outdoor heat to eat this delicately fine noodle.”

“This is why Noodle York doesn’t have a wife!” The muscleman joked and laughter erupts with applause.

The rest of the cooking process is relatively normal. It’s repeated a few more times for most of the noon hour to satisfy the demand. The result, however, is noodles of divine elasticity and flavor!

Nood nods at his masterful creation and say to you, “I am getting old, so I can only do this once a day at noon, which troubled everyone who rushes here for the real thing.” He folds arm, stood straight up high and look at you with a serious look, “Boy, do you want to learn how to beat the noodle out of a dough?”

You nod hard.

“I can’t hear you!”

“Yes, sir!”

“Say it louder!”

“YES, SIR!”

Nood nods. “Good.” He points at the large bucket of unwashed bowl. “Now go wash the dishes."

You wash dishes for the rest of the day.

Every day off from school or holiday is when you get to work as the delivery boy at the Steadfast Door Delivery Agency. It surprised you the first time you visited the place to be a large walled private building with iron gates in the front with guards standing from dawn to dusk and from dusk to dawn. Insides are well-armed employees and mercenaries waiting for the next mission to deliver things or individual who is too valuable to befallen into the hand of bandits. This is where the agency comes in; it offers protection by armed man to bring your valuables or you to place afar for a fee. Reputation is a must for this kind of business, for losing the trust of its customer could mean the fall of the company. Of course, not all jobs can be completed safely, and in those cases, its standard practice to pay five to ten times the item’s worth to the owner or a large amount to the deceased person's relative, all to salvage some of the agency's reputation for the failed mission. It’s a serious business that does not tolerate failure. Thankfully, you are only tasked to deliver mundane letters or low value parcel to the local within the city.

The job help you get to know the city better and meet a lot of people. Your fame as the filial child makes it easy to make acquaintances with people.

Thanks to your delivery job, you have a greater sense of the city layout and know a lot of people.

You can try to ask any questions to anyone in the city and they might answer.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chatrapati posted:

2A
I'd like the option to skip Interesting Times if it would be more interesting for our character to definitely succeed. As it is, failing or struggling in school could be fun.
Interesting time only adds complication to success and make it worst for failure, so it's exactly what you wanted.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Always interesting time win, but I won't offer it if I can't think of something interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event + Interesting Time – School
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first day of class was… Interesting. Your teacher Know Fuu began the course with basic poetry for the class to repeats a few times, and then he hand picks a few students to try reciting the whole poem.

“I am sad the… Umm…Red…” Baba Tong, the name of the bulky boy, is struggling to recite the poem.

Know Fuu shakes his head, “Not even the first sentence. Are you paying attention at all, little Tong?”

“The poem is too hard.” Baba complaints.

Lightly tapping Baba’s head with a rolled up book, Know Fuu said, “Nonsense, the poem of Bai Juyi uses very simple language and it’s particularly accessible for the beginner.” He turns to the oily haired boy, “Why don’t you give it a try, Mr. Li Foil.”

Proudly, Li Foil rise from his seat and sung the poem with emotion and grace.

“I'm saddened by the peonies before the steps, so red,
As evening came I found that only two remained.
Once morning blown away by the wind, surely it won’t survive…”

“That’s incorrect.” Know Fuu said with a smile. “Although your disappointed expression now are quite suitable for the tragic tone of the poem.” He concluded. Then surveying the class, his eyes land on you. “Maybe the Filial Child can recite in a similar tragic tenor?”

You stand up with confident that you have memorized the poem perfectly, but you never recite a poem in public before. Nonetheless, you try your best to recite the poem with feeling and grace.

Inspire: 4 7 6 10 4 7

Result: 24 or 27

I'm saddened by the peonies before the steps, so red,
As evening came I found that only two remained
Once morning's winds have blown, they surely won't survive,
At night I gaze by lamplight, to cherish the fading red.

Your father did his fatherly duty well. You sung the poem with the right emotion and tonal passion. It’s actually your father’s favorite poem that he recites whenever he looks at the blossom orchard flower. It make you sad when you recite it, which empowered the recital to another degree of tragedy.

Know Fuu and the whole classes applause your wonderful performance and effort. The poem touched the heart of everyone in the class… Well, except Li Foil. He looks at you with jealousy and envy.

---------------------------------------------------------

On your way to school the next day, Li and Baba intercepted you halfway toward your destination. Li, using the bull-like might of Baba, demand you to perform less spectacular in class so he will shine more among his peers. Baba picks up two bricks and crushes them together a few times to pulverize them, making a point of the threat.

You…

A) Fight Baba
B) Bribe Baba
C) Treat Li with respect, assuring him that he is the best and you got lucky
D) RUN HOME
E) RUN TO SCHOOL
F) Push them down to the ground
G) Write-in

I decided to only offer choices that matches your virtue (3 points or higher) from now on. Think of it as a high stat dialogue unlock that might or might not be the best choice. Use write-in if you want to do something else.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 30, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm a little sad we didn't get to be a Doctor. How are we supposed to prick someone's Gushing Spring Point now?
One of the class is doctor, or you can pick up doctor's secret art from other class later.

We still have mid and high level job later to choose unless we decide to skip those and step into wulin early.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We rolled badly on G/C, wanna spend a jose to roll one more dice or some luck thing?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Spend it immediately on something else. Yee and yikes, they lunge and charge at us, but we jump out of the way! Oh no they fell through a window??? How could that have happened?! ;) Or if that's the realm of Malicious Joss, something more appropriate for Chivalrous Joss, like we run into a grownup who cares.
Both does the same for the latter for making realistic coincident happen. The differences is Malicious Joss reduce anyone who oppose you for that action for one dice per joss while Chivalrous boost you one dice, and some techniques might require certain joss. We could certainly house rule it to cause fortune that reflects the joss' nature. :drac:

Oh, and if you want coincident to happen, the player have to create it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Dice boost still winning, I will leave it up a bit.

Abyssal Squid posted:

and spend a Joss to add a favorable coincidence to the next one. I want us to be a Mary Sue of a smuglord!
Please decides what favorable coincidence you want to happen. Uncle Liu shows up? Baba's dad shows up? A pot hole on a road? An angry cat is nursing its kitten nearby? A cabbage guy is selling cabbage nearby? Unless you want me to surprise* you?

* No guarantee of surprises.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A Terrible Person posted:

This too, if we can do both. Ignore this part of the vote if not.
We can. I will ask again if you want to spend another joss

During or after Combat. :unsmigghh:

Voting closed

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Persuade Li Foil : 2 4 7 5 6 3

Result: 17

Li Foil Resist: 3 1 4 6 1

Result: 21

You try to explain that poem happens to be your father favorite poem and you feel a greater connection that Li Foil. He points a finger at you with ire, “You saying I have a lesser compatibility for poetry than you!?”

“No, no, that’s not what I mean!” You said as you shake your head to denial the accusation.

“Then what do you mean?” Li Foil asks, now calmer.

Spend Joss (Dice Boost): 9

Result: 19

You try to ease the tension and offer a friendly assistance to your fellow classmate. “I mean we all have something we are especially good at. I’m sure you will be as good as me when I tutor you how to narrate the poem.”

Li raises a fist at you, “How dare you compares your beggar intellect with mine! You want to lecture me on a poem!? Not in a million years! Crush him, Baba!”

Baba makes a battle cry, "Roooooar!" And begins charging at you with great momentum.

BEGIN COMBAT

You are far enough to take a minor action before or after he slam into you…
1A) Use skill: Minor things like look around, make a speech, throw something accuracy, catch a falling vase, etc
1B) Shaping: Write-In plan to shape the environment to your advantage. It probably won’t be done until Baba slam into you unless it’s a quick or simple task.
1C) Move to another zone to avoid his attack. (Jump/climb the wall to someone’s property, go downslope, keep running back to delay the attack, etc)
1D) Write-in Minor action
1E) Save your time to better prepare for later actions

Assuming you didn’t escape the clutch of Baba, how will you guard against his bull rush?
2A) Dodge
2B) Block/Deflect

What do you do after his attack?
3A) Disorient: Write-in fluff to debuff your opponent’s certain skill check until he cures it. Ex: Throw sand on his eyes to lower his Awareness.
3B) Disrupt: Write-in fluff to debuff your opponent’s certain combat stat until he cures it. Ex:Try to trip him and make him wary of his Footwork.
3C) Knockback: Force the opponent into another zone
3D) Save your focus for later and attack normally
3E) Retreat, you will be late for school
3F) Surrender, you will promise to do as Li said and suffer a moral penalty if you break it (You could try to sidestep the condition)
3G) Write-in

Note: Disorient/Disrupt/Knockback are part of an attack, so you will be dealing damage while doing those fluffs.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

DAB: 3
CAE: 3

Both suggestions are close enough; I will mix them up into two turns.

------------------------------------

You steps closer to the middle of the road as you taunt Baba into carelessness. “What is that pitiful battle cry? Did you learn it from a mouse?”

“I WILL MAKE YOU CRY WHEN I BREAK YOU!” Baba screamed with extra adrenaline and doubles his charging rush to crush at you. This looks like it would hurt more if it hits, but his footwork are more frantic than before.

Blocking this would certainly be a bad idea now, so you jump out of the way in the last three seconds before he hits you with tremendous force that you do not wish to ever experience.

Interesting Time

Your sudden dodge certainly saved you from a few weeks worth of physical agony, but your late timing to your jump leave your leg expose in the path of the charging Baba, and he trip over it. The next few moments are quite surreal as you watch the heavy mass of boulder flies.

---------------------------------

A little down the road, an elderly merchant dressed in green parked his cart at the side of the road. It is part of his daily routine role as a cabbage merchant to purchase fresh cabbage from the local cabbage farm to sell for profits on the market. Unlike other cabbages merchant, he takes pride in selecting the best quality cabbages in the farm to be part of his stock. It took a bit more of time to hand picks it slowly, but the efforts are worth the trouble as his customers are always satisfied with his cabbage.

Fortunately, the cabbage on the farm today are higher quality than ever, so this merchant manages to finish filling his stock in half the time! Surely, today will be a propitious day in the market.

The he sees it. A giant lump of… meat? Is flying at high speed like a bird, no, more like a eagle toward his cart.

Baba crush into it and half destroyed the cart filled with cabbage.

“MY CABBAGES!” The old man cries and exclaim in disbelieve.

----------------------------------

You look at the scene with amusement and sympathy for the old merchant. Maybe you will pay a third of the damage later? Anyway, Baba stood back up, now covered with cabbages. He charge back to you, but stop short at a distance. This time, he approaches you slowly with extended hand to grab you. “You will pay for that.” He said. “And I don’t mean the cabbage!”

Taking liberty of the abundant time, you manage to move to the edge of the slope. This is where you stand. You lock arms with Baba who is half as big as you, intending to push him down the slope.

Baba: 4 6 4 8 9
Result: 24

You: 2 5 4 1 4 4
Result: 34

As a child who have been working part-time after school, punching dough and running around for errands help build your strength and stamina. You would normally be a equal to Baba in strength. However, as you took in each breath. Extra strength surge from within, and with every little of those strengths, you take a step forward and force Baba to take a step backward.

Forward, backward, forward, backward. You two repeat this rhythm for a few moments until…

Baba lost his footing at the sudden downward slope and he falls to your satisfaction.

The hulky mass of meat he harbors has done him no advantage as his falls down the slope helplessly like a baby getting dropped down a cliff. His tumbles and bounces truly lives up to the shape that his body parallels, a boulder.

Finally, the boulder crushed into the cabbage farm below with a farmer exclaim in shock, “MY CABBAGES!”

You have some time until Baba recovers, what do you plan to do?
A) Wait for Baba to return
C) Go to school
D) Talk to Li with intimidation
E) Talk to Li with respect
F) Fight Li
G) Shout to Baba with insult
H) Shout to Baba with respect(?)
I) Go down and continue your fight with Baba
J) Go down and be respectful to Baba
K) Go down and intimidate Baba
L) Talk to the Cabbage merchant
M) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 2, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You jog down the stone steps on the hill to check up on Baba. He seem to have fainted, but looks mostly fine minus a few bruises. After a few pat on the face by the farmer lady, Baba comes to his sense and have a briefly confused look on his face with his ground view eyes cycle between you and the farmer.

You reach out a hand and say, "You are a good fighter, Baba."

He hesitantly reach to accept you hand and you pulled him up with some difficulty. He sure is heavy!

"Thanks." He muttered, but you are close enough to hear it.

"Why do you choose to work for Li Foil" You inquired.

"He treated me well. As long as he do what he said, I get to go with him to all the fancy resturant with tableful of food." He reply with s ting of shame in his voice.

Strange, aren't the kids who goes to school all wealthy? You ask him your thought.

"We are, but my father is concerned for my weight and placed a limit on my allowance, for he knows I will spend it all on food" He said with a sad face.

You can keep asking him any questions, and to which your respond is...
A) Go to school with him. You two can still make it in time if you jogs.
B) A, but take him home to change his dirtied clothes. You two will be late.
C) A, but take him to eat noodle instead. You two will be late.
D) A + B + C. You two will be very late!
E) Make a counter offer to take him to resturants instead, you can't afford five star level like Li Foil, but you can do two - three stars. This is tank your saving to the bottom.
F) Convince him that Li Foil is not worth the food.
G) F, and rile him up to beat up Li Foil
H) G, and join him
I) Write-in

After deciding your course of action, and getting a stern lecture from the farmer, you two climb up the stone steps to find the cabbage merchant stand at the end of the step with his arms fold. "My cabbage." He said.

You and Baba looks at each other and...
1) RUN
2) Offer to pay it all. It cost the next two years worth of your future saving.
3) Get Li Foil to pay it all.
4) Get Baba to pay it all.
5) Offer to pay half with Baba. Cost next year worth of your future saving.
6) Half with Li Foil.
7) Baba and Li Foil pay both half.
8) You three pay one-third. The rest of this year worth of your saving can pay it all.
9) Write-in.

Note: Double the payment time if you choose counteroffer to feed Baba regularly instead.

Note 2: Payment time is base on your current wages. You might pay it faster when you get a pay raise or changing to a higher tier job.

Do you ask Uncle Liu to shoulder the cost instead?
#) Yes
$) No

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Oops, E to I suppose to be a seperate choice, oh well.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A) Jog to school III
B) Change cloth first III

C) II

1) I
5) II
8) One-Third Split IIIII

$) No IIIIIIII

Flipped a George Washington $1 coin and landed on Tail.

“Change your cloth before you go to school.” –George Washington

Wise word, George, B it is. :obama:

------------------------

The merchant express surprises when he hear your offer to split the cost between you, Baba, and Li. He asks, “Li? Was he involved in this foolishness?”You finally climb up the steps to find that Li Foil has long gone. That explains the merchant’s question.

“We will get him to pay his due,” You turn your head to Baba, “Right, Baba?”

Baba pauses for a moment and does a slow but eventual nod.

The merchant nod approvingly. “Very well, you seem more mature than I thought. I shall take your words to it. Filial Child.” You nod back and tug Baba to the other direction of school.

“Where are we going?” He asked.

“Your home, you smell like mud and cabbage.” You reply.

He took a sniff at his right arm, “I kinda like it.”

“Not everyone does, now show me where you home is.” You push him down toward the road, but this his time, more gently.

--------------------------------

There are reasons people call rich people, rich. One of the reason is because they live in a big mansion with large tract of land surrounded with imposing stone wall.

Baba knocks on the steel door loudly. A servant peeks out and addresses Baba, “Young master! Why are you home!? *gasp* And why are you so dirty!?”

How do you explain this?
A) Truth: Baba fought you and you pushed him into the cabbage farm.
B) Half-Truth: Baba accidently tripped into cabbage farm. You helped.
C) Lies: Li Foil pushed him down to the cabbage farm.
D) (Slightly Lions) Half-Lies : Spin it into a non-fighting version where you manage to talk it out. Make Li Foil the bad guy.
E) (A Terrible Person) Persuade + Truth: It was an accident! I don't mean harm! Ask to hide it from Baba's parent.
F) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 4, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Added :

Slightly Lions' vote as D. Half-Lies : Spin it into a non-fighting version where you manage to talk it out. Make Li Foil the bad guy.
A Terrible Person's vote as E. Persuade + Truth: It was an accident! I don't mean harm! Ask to hide it from Baba's parent.

If there's not enough votes later, I will sum it all up in a truth-lie scale and pick the closest choice.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A. Truth 1
B. Half-truth 2
C. Lies 0
D. Half-Lies 1
E. Persuade + Truth 2

Hmm, kay. Merging these votes.

-------------------------------

You inform him truthfully in a way that portrays you and Baba as victims. “Li Foil asked Baba to fight me for his selfish reason. I refused and tried to talk it over the issue, but Li refused to listen to reason. He then makes Baba attack me through some kind of con or deception. Unwilling to fight Baba, I jump out of the way of his charge and Baba slammed into a cabbage cart. In rage, he tried to tackle me once more, and in our brief struggle, he tripped and fell into the cabbage farm. I ran down to recover him and manage to resolved our misunderstanding, so I decided to take him back here to have a change of cloth and maybe patch up some of the bruise.”

“Oh dear, what a dreadful account!” The servant said with worries. Then he begins apprising you and says your name in surprise, “You’re the Filial Child!”

You nod to confirm your identity.

“Thank you for bringing our Ba-by home.” The servant said with gratitude. Baba’s head held low at the embarrassing nick name. “I apologize for Ba-by’s misbehavior! I always knew Li Foil is a bad influence for our boy!” He said with angers directing at Li. “The master will surely be notify of this.”

“Please, exclude the part where we fought. It’s bad to fight and Baba doesn’t deserve to be punished for Li’s deed.” You pleaded to the servant.

Baba joins in to plead, “Please don’t tell dad! He likes fighting, but not if I am the bad guy!”

The servant nods. “You are right, Ba-by is the victim here. No reason for master to punish young master over it.” He blinks at you and opens the door. “Please, come on in.”

As you two walks pass the screen wall that blocks outside people from seeing the courtyard, you see multiple houses of single or double floored room spread all over the courtyard while situated sophisticatedly with the garden design.

“We will send a servant to inform your teacher that you two are late for a good reason” The servant said as he guides you through the garden and to the main hall while another servant took Baba to another direction.

You were led through a few twist and turn around some corridors and you think you would be lost if not for the servant guiding you.

“Who that’s kid?” A powerful voice booms from within the main hall toward the hallway that you are passing.

“Oh, master!” The servant bows low apologetically. “My sincere apology for causing a disturbance to you!”

The man in the hall raises a hand to gesture the servant to cease his apologies. His eyes focused on you. “I ask again. Who is this kid?”

The servant frantically explains what you told him with slight alteration to the story. “Uh-eh, this kid is the Filial Child, he foug-found young master fallen down into a cabbage farm and help him back home to address his injury. OH, but young master is fine. Please do not be too concerned, master.”

The master slowly takes his sip of tea. He breathes out a strong breath as he put down the teacup. “Is that so?” He questioned.

Jumped a little from shock, the servant immediately replies, “Y-yes, sir. It-it-is so.”

“Very well, go fetch me some tea. Mine is getting cold.” The master ordered.

The servant bows, “yes, master” and hurries you to follow him.

“The kid stays. And bring Baba here.” He said as he evaluating you. The servant looks nervously at you and back at his master before yielding, “yes, master” and hurries down the hall alone.

As the servant’s footstep swiftly dissipated into the maze-like hallway, the master of the house calls to you. “Come in, boy.”

You do so, feeling quite unnerved by the servant’s nervousness.

He looks you straight in the eyes. “I know Shen, my servant, for twenty years. I can read him like the back of palm. So I know he is hiding something from me out of concern for Baba.” He pause a moment for the mood to soak in. Then asks in a firm but gentle tone. “Now, tell me what troubles my good-for-nothing son has done so early in the morning?”

You…
A) Truth: Baba fought you and you pushed him into the cabbage farm.
B) Half-Truth: Baba accidently tripped into cabbage farm. You helped.
C) Lies: Li Foil pushed him down to the cabbage farm.
D) (Slightly Lions) Half-Lies : Spin it into a non-fighting version where you manage to talk it out. Make Li Foil the bad guy.
E) (A Terrible Person) Persuade + Truth: It was an accident! I don't mean harm! Ask to hide it from Baba's parent.
F) Mostly-Truth: Portrays you and Baba as victims of Li Foil.
G) Write-in

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Abyssal Squid posted:

G) Cry. We're still young enough to get away with it, right?
Right.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A 3 (4) Baba fought you and you pushed him into the cabbage farm.
B 2
F 1
G 2
D 3 (4) Spin it into a non-fighting version where you manage to talk it out. Make Li Foil the bad guy.

“This dude seems legit. And also not the sort of man to appreciate lies. I don't know why we wouldn't just tell the truth. I say we explain to him D but ultimately reveal A is the real story. We can leave it to him to decide what to do with that information.” - Tyrannosaurus

Once again, a very even spread of ties between truth and lies, so I will go with this. Lie a bit now and tell the truth later when necessary.

-------------------------------------------

You deceitfully inform him in a way that portrays you and Baba as victims. “Li Foil asked Baba to fight me for his selfish reason. I refused and tried to talk it over the issue, but Li refused to listen to reason. He then makes Baba fight me, but Baba refused. Slyly, he pushed Baba onto a cabbage cart as if I had done it. Baba in respond tried to tackle me, and in our brief struggle, he tripped and fell into the cabbage farm. I ran down to recover him and manage to resolved our misunderstanding, so I decided to take him back here to have a change of cloth and patch up some of the bruise.”

Baba’s father stroke his beard thoughtfully as he listen to your explanations. “It would seem your story i-“

“MASTER!” A servant interrupts as he rushes into the hall.

“What’s the hurry?” Baba’s father said annoyed.

“Madam Foil is here with his son!” The servant reports with worries.

Baba’s father slams his hand on the table in anger as he utter a strong “Hmph!” The strike is so loud that it frightens both you and the servant. You think you saw a crack extended all the way down to the table's legs, was it there before?

“So, the Foil family has come for reprisal of the incident, is it not?” Baba’s father inquired.

“I-I don’t know sir! Only her and her son has come, but she…” The servant hesitates to continue.

“What does she want?” Baba’s father asks threateningly as if to explode.

“S-she is still in the litter outside and demands you to personally welcome her into your…” The servant hesitates to continue again.

He gave the servant permission to spoke ill of the house. “I will not fault you for saying it, now out with it!”

With much more hesitation, the servant continues with gradually lower volume, “…Wel-welcome her into your good for nothing beggar house of rice bucket.”

Baba’s father stands up in fury, “THAT WOODLICED WHORE! She wants me to welcome her? Fine! I shall meet her in weapon and armor!” He then strides out of the hall, leaving you and the servant alone.

You…
A) GO HOME!
B) GO TO BABA!
C) GO TO SCHOOL!
D) GO OUT AND WATCH!
E) STAY HERE!
F) Write-in

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

D : ∞
------------------------
This is getting interesting! You ask the servant to lead you back to the entrance and he obliges. After twisting and turning few corners, you are back to the outside

You see a litter carried by four porters sitting right in front of the entrance almost blocking the path. Baba’s father is not present, maybe he will be here soon?

An extravagant woman in beautiful vest peeks out of the curtain and sees you and the servant. “Who are you, kid?”

Li Foil pops his head out of the curtain and sees you too. He smirk at you and said to her mother in the most pitiful voice, “Mom! That’s the Filial Child who harmed me!”

Madam Foil hug and reassure her son, “It’s okay, my dear. Mama is here.” Then she turns her head to you. “So, you are the ‘Filial Child’.” She said your name with a sneer, “Did you crawl out here to apologize to my son? Or did the cowardly master of the house send you here as his massager?”

You…
1) Run away (to where?)
2) Press for what Li Foil told his mother
3) Tell your side of the story
4) Apologize
5) Truth: I am just here to watch the showdown
6) Inform: “Baba’s father will be here to meet you soon.”
7) Detailed inform: “Baba’s father said he will meet you with weapon and armor after calling you a woodliced whore.”
8) Lies: Write-in
9) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 6, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Isn't this just 3? I mean, it is basically what happened.
We did harm Baba by pushing him down the slope.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

“I didn’t harm anybody and your son dishonors himself by lying about it.” You stated boldly.

“Is that your excuse?” She asks antipathetically.

“No, it’s the truth.” You states with full honesty.

Li Foil butts in, “Don’t believe him, mom! He’s really good at poetry and lying!”

Madam Foil pats her son’s head, “’course not, my dear. Who would believe the word of a beggar over her own son?”

Li foil Smile triumphantly at you. It looks like it’s pointless to argue with an overprotective mother, not that you know about mother. So you walk to a nice spot and sits down.

Madam Li looks at you questioningly, and finally ask, “What are you doing?”

You explain, “Since you refuse to listen, I will wait for Baba’s father to show up.”

She scorn at the mention of Baba’s father, “Hmph. So you rely on your friend’s powerful parent to protect you. Quite a manipulative person you are.”

You shake your head and look at Li Foil, “Uncle Liu once said, a manipulate person is the one who won’t get caught.”

“Hmph! That just makes you a failure of a mani- Oh, speaks of the devil!” Madam Foil was interrupted by the rustling of armor coming from the entrance and the appearance of Baba’s father.

Fully dressed in an aged scaled armor of bronze, the elderly man walks out with ease on what could be worth 60 Jin (30kg).

On top of that, both his hands wields two massive wood bronze dragon head round hammer that could easily worth another 30 Jin.

“Ah, the old coot finally got out of his bed.” Madam Foil said venomously as she climbs out of the liter.

“And it isn’t Madam Foil. To what does this old coot own the pleasure of your uncouth grace?” Baba’s father reply with similar tone of enmity.

She unsheathes her Jian (Chinese Sword). “I am here for the ‘Filial Child’ and your child, General Ba. Or should I say, ex-general?”

“A retired general retains his title with honors, Madam Foil. Or should I say, Fiery Wind of the Sonic Flame?” He lifts both massive hammers, “As for these children.” He strikes them together to make a loud threatening gong noise. “The only two things you will be taking today are these hammers to your face.”

They begin moving sideways while facing each to move up the road to another zone where it provides a large enough space to battle.

Madam Foil brandish her sword as they walks. “Brutish as always, general.” She said.

General Ba spins his hammers in a show of might as he replies, “Said the one who visit me in her treasured Wintry Armor and Lone Serpent Jian.”

Stopped at an appropriate distance away at the other zone, Madam Foil continues her taunt, “I can’t wait to embarrass you in front of your son.”

General Ba stops as well in respond. “Strange, that’s what I was going to say.” They exchange venomous grin at each other. This is the place where things are going to go down.

In a blink of your eyes, they are exchanging blows with inhuman swiftness. Madam Foil’s rapid sword strikes forces General Ba into a defensive position using both his massive hammer as pseudo shields to parries and deflects. The furry of sword strike hitting faster and faster at every angle, it looks like He will be pushed back to the wall if this keeps up.

As sudden as General Ba yells out his techniques, “Circling Pack!” One of the hammers bangs the Jian off its trail with such strength to force a gap enough for him to quickly dive roll to the side while swinging the other giant hammer toward Madam Li! The shocked Madam Foil can barely block the first hammer slamming heavily on her jian, but not the other hammer circled to her other side that is crashes through her… Wait, crash through her? You rub your eyes and see a quickly dissipated afterimage of Madam Foil being distorted by the hammer swing.

“I see you learned a new trick.” The general commented to the real Madam Foil who is now standing on top of the wall smiling at the disgruntled General.

“Holding the Shadow technique from Shadow Catching style. A good counter to your reactive style, don’t you think so?” She laughs all high and mightily at her opponent below.

“Indeed, the Shadow Catching style does laugh at reactive strategies.” General Ba admits.

“However!” He swings his massive hammers at the wall under Madam Foil like a spoon passing through a soup.

“Bone-Fed Wolf Fang style – March toward Hell!” He shouts his technique in mighty glee as he pulverizes the wall with great force and reduced it into ruins of holes and dust. “Your style is good at anticipate the expected, but Fears the unpredictable!” He declared triumphantly as he continues his assault at the surprised Madam Foil who struggles to stay on each sections of the wall, which are swiftly being bulldozed by the General’s mighty destruction.

“YOU CRAZY OLD MAN!” She screams in her desperate flight to avoid the destruction, almost losing a foothold to the recently destroyed wall section. It’s too dangerous jump down the wall with the bulldozing iron balls swinging destruction below, so with a quick breath of chi, Madam Foil somersault 10 foots to the wall on the other side and fabulously sprints horizontally down the wall to get back vertically on ground level. Oh good, they are returning closer for you to see clearer at the actions.

General Ba laughs maniacally as he chase after the escaping woman. “What’s wrong, Madam Foil? Your new style doesn’t seem to be helping you win this fight! Maybe you will last longer than 5 years ago!” He raises a hammer to block a desperate slash of her sword, but stopped midway along with his smiles as he bends backwards to dodge the whole arc of the sword slash.

Then your eyes caught it too.

Fire dances on the Lone Serpent Jian as if oil were applied to the weapon. Even Madam Foil’s hands are in fire!

“I see you have cultivated your fire chi well.” General Ba complimented his adversary begrudgingly as he now doing his best to dodge another wave of rapid sword strikes with fire.

“Surrender now, General Ba!” Madam Foil said as she manages to force General Ba to abandoned one of his hammer to improve his mobility. “Before my fire burn you to ash!”

Frantically dodging the attacks, General Ba’s armor keep getting cut, no, melt off from a few close call. The few fabrics he has with his armor were torch on fire, creating more distractions for the general.

Madam Foil saw an opening as he aged general begin to slow a little from the onslaught and push out a palm strike that shoot out a column of fire at the man. The general in respond swings his massive hammer to blow most of the fire to scatters down the road. Taking advantage of the distraction, Madam Foil slices her at the General’s leg. A loud cry of pain can be heard throughout the block as General Ba scream in agony at the fiery hot metal going through his flesh, but not enough to slice off his bone.

Many large sparks of embers deflected by the general now rains down at the entrance. You and all servants from both sides ran to dodge from the flaming shower. As you escape, you heard a loud fearful scream for help from the now rapidly lighting on fire litter; it was Li Foil screaming from inside, “MOM, HELP!” He cries.

Madam Foil turns her attention from the call of her name by her son, and in that critical moment, the enraged General Ba send a powerful shockwave like bone crushing slam through the side of Madam Foil and send her flying into the wall. Blood leaks from her lips as she looks helplessly at the burning litter where some servants tries to get Li Foil out without touching the fire, but there’s only enough of a safe gap for someone the size of a child to squeeze in to drag him out and the gap is quickly closing up from the encroaching fire!

You…
A) Your life is precious; protecting yourself takes priority, run away.
B) Save Li Foil at the risk of burning
C) Li Foil gets what he deserves for this mess. Watch him get punished by heaven for his deed.
D) Try to find some water or fire retardant. Leave Li Foil’s fate to your luck.
E) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Nondevor posted:

e: though if anyone can come up with a way to improve our chances at not getting burned, that'd be helpful. Any dirt around to help extinguish the fire?
It's up to the dice on whether you find something useful in exchange for wasting some time. You could spend a Joss to 'coincidentally' find a bucket of water or something. Maybe a bucket of 'Night Soil' would be better? :heysexy:

You would have to climb in there if B wins though.

quote:

Is General Baba too incapacitated to do one of his long range techniques or something?
You don't know if he can do something like that, maybe he can use water technique? Maybe he can still walk/run after being cut by boiling hot sword?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Nyaa I loved that scene so much.
Thanks! I enjoy writing it too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The shouting of “Fire!” from servants echoes throughout the manor. You think fast and search for something that can keep the fire from harming you long enough to save Li Foil. Fortunately, a servant is rushing out with a bucket of water, not enough to eradicate the expanding fire, but you have a better idea. “GIVE ME THE BUCKET!” You scream at the servant.

With hesitant and years of servitude reflex, he hands it to you obediently. Lifting the bucket over your head, you douse yourself in cold, cold, water to the surprise of the servant! It makes you shiver down to your spine! Good, you are much more focused now and immediately dive into the unlit bottom of the flaming litter.

You managed to crawl into the litter without being burn by the approaching fire, but the encroaching fire from all four sides with smoke chocking up the room. Li Foil curls into a ball on the seat as he cough and cries for his mommy to save him, but was momentary stunned by your appearance. You have no time to talk, so you grab his legs and drag him out of the litter from the lower section. Thankfully, you quick thinking and determination got the two of you out of the litter safely.

You hear a few loud bangs as you crawl out of the litter, and you saw General Ba flying? No, diving horizontally with great momentum toward the litter. He's using his massive hammer like a leg to propel himself via slamming hard on the ground.He is surprised to sees you and Li Foil safely escaped. With a smile he raises his hammer while quickly approaching the litter, and slam the whole thing down with such forces that it killed the fire, the litter, the surrounding road, and the unfortunate Muridae deep underground.

Madam Foil limply walks toward his son shouting “Liiiiiiii!” while carried by two servants.

Li Foil ran as hard as he could while yelling “Mooooooooom” with tears and running nose.

They both hug in tearful reunion. Madam Foil apologizes for her blunder that almost killed him, and Li Foil just wants his mama.

You feel a pat on your shoulder, it’s from General Ba. He comments your bravery and tells you to go home for the day, for those two needs some private time together. You look on for a moment longer at the mother and son, wondering what is it like to have a mother. Then you sprint home, to be with your honorary father, Uncle Liu.

-------------------------------------
The next day at school, Madam Li come to school with Li Foil. She told the class of what occurred and Li Foil shamefully confessed everything. In a great posture of respect and sincerity, they apologize to you and Baba Ba with a deep bow and Li Foil bring two basketfuls of sweet treats for consolidation.

How do you react?

A) Accept their apology and gift
B) Accept their apology but refuse the gift
C) Refuse their apology and their gift
D) Flip the basket at Li Foil
E) Demand more gifts
F) Offer reciprocal gift: Write-in
G) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 11, 2015