Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

B

Let's keep the crunch to a minimum while we're starting out, plus I don't trust goons collectively with anything more dangerous than a toddler.

Edit: a toddler with Kung Fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1b) Honor – Offer a bow to the approaching officers.
2a) Loyalty – Yes, it’s important to place one’s interest above self.
3a) Righteousness - He is right, I have a filial duty as a son to give my parent a proper burial.
4b) Benevolence – He speak the truth. It would be bad to trouble others.
5b) Ruthlessness – Sure, they can do all the hard work while I watch.

We may beg for a living, but we are not a savage. Society has rules for a reason, and even if you've fallen out of the mainstream it's important to follow them if you're ever going to reintegrate. Of course

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1b: Specifically, "borrow" a shovel that nobody is using, without asking. Most people would probably be upset by an orphan beggar approaching them and asking for something as valuable as a tool, and especially if they knew that we were using it to dig our own father's grave. Better to leave them in blissful ignorance. Plus, we'll give the shovel back when we're done, it'll be like we never took it at all! This also shows more resourcefulness than spending money on material possessions, which we have no place to keep and which we can't eat in a pinch.
2c: Again, it's not right to make Wright risk his job for our sake, and even if we ask him to choose for himself, he will be wracked by feelings of guilt and regret when he inevitably chooses not to help. By insisting on doing it ourself, we can save him from this distress.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Making money by digging is laborer's work, and beneath the dignity of the middle class. This stint as a beggar is a temporary bump in our journey, and we shouldn't dirty ourselves by adapting our life to it.

(Yes I want this kid to be a pre-HENRY, or "temporarily inconvenienced rich" or whatever you call it.)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2) Work long enough to annoy Rong but let the grown-ups take over eventually. As fun as it is to spite the guy, the two of them do have a job to do. The longer we make them babysit us, the longer other bodies sit around unburied. The longer even our own beloved father stays unburied!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2) NOODLLLLLLLLLE Too excited by the noodle to give careful consideration.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

B) I'll never give up! *collapses on stone slab* Uncle Liu has something important to tell us, might as well stop for a minute to hear what he has to say. It's the respectful thing to do. (I'm assuming "give up" means "stop digging for a minute and take a break" and not "I surrender to Rong and give him all my silvers and swear an oath of fealty to him" here)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

2, overcoming problems builds character! Also, the more obstacles we overcome, the bigger our middle finger grows.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Street Sweeper if we've come to terms with being poor, Longshoreman if we still have pretensions and aspirations of being middle class. The one brings us around everyone in the city and takes advantage of our stick-based-tool skills, while the other keeps us near merchants and middlemen and builds strong muscles.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Not to argue against it, but bear in mind that this is an entry-level job, as a young child (we're still about 9). So if we go with cooking we'll probably be plucking chickens or keeping the fire fed or something like that, instead of running our own restaurant.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

3, 10, 33
Waiter/busing (noodles), Labor (docks) GARDENER, Apprentice Taoist Priest

Working for the noodle stand is a no-brainer, work at the docks to build up an appetite for noodles, and learn about the Tao for something to think about while moving heavy boxes. Plus, it probably will tell us more about chi, the better for keeping up our energy.

School, though, what use is that! None at all, I say.

e: oh god how did I miss Gardener, changing vote for the manual labor job to that.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 26, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

G) Offer to tutor them over a bowl of noodles

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I voted for Plan Condescend To The Little Bastards hoping they'd reject it and earn a double helping of righteous beatings.

Spend it immediately on something else. Yee and yikes, they lunge and charge at us, but we jump out of the way! Oh no they fell through a window??? How could that have happened?! ;) Or if that's the realm of Malicious Joss, something more appropriate for Chivalrous Joss, like we run into a grownup who cares.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lemme rephrase that then. I want to let the current action fail (convincing them that we should be friends) and spend a Joss to add a favorable coincidence to the next one. I want us to be a Mary Sue of a smuglord!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Let's run into Baba' or Li's uncle during DRAMATIC CHASE/FIGHT SCENE.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1C) Move to the slope

2A) Dodge

3C/E) Force Baba down the slope, so we can continue on to school (spend Joss to boost chance of success)

Baba's a big kid, and big kids are heavy kids. Let him charge at us and when he misses he'll rush past us, and then he'll have to run uphill if he wants to catch up. Trip the guy so he rolls downhill, if it comes to that.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

G) Cry. We're still young enough to get away with it, right?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

B then D) "Wow, look what your dad's up to!" Poor kid's probably going to need another change of clothes after this though. :(

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

ALL OF THE ABOVE (or more specifically, ABDE): "Baba, Li, check this out: POW POW BAM KAPOW HAHAHAHAHA"

But as a more general thing, just B.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

BDE Earth, Water, and Wood.
H

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A: Let's go to the doctor first. If it's actually bad news, the best we can hope for from General Ba and Madam Li is "holy poo poo see a doctor dude," followed by "check your cuticles." We can ignore the doctor's prescription if we don't like it, but let's find out what that is first.

Agreed that we should stop pestering random people about chi though and stick to the experts. Chi experts like doctors.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

B, and ask Nood to finish that dough we were working on while we're out. Otherwise it'll be bugging us all day and no one wants that.

This is the right idea, plus it means Nood won't be around to overhear our secrets. We're practically an adult now at the ripe old age of nine years and a few months, we can handle ourself!

B

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Let's sit down and take a deep Breath. It's always scary going to the doctor, not that we'd know what with being a beggar our whole life. Let's find out what the other guy is in for though. And candy!

"Do you have any candy? I heard kids get candy when they go to the doctor and they behave themselves."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A, nobody would tell us what was going on so we had to figure it out for ourself.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A-ish, let's not push the boundaries for now, but let's not stop using our secret noodle technique altogether. There's probably room to see how far we can go before it really starts affecting us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

How about A: persuading Baba that there will be new and exciting foods at the end of the trip? At least so we've heard, we've never sailed before ourselves. Maybe rambutan? (I have no clue what sort of food is exotic and what is familiar here and now tbh)