Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
yeah, me neither

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2969365/security/lenovos-service-engine-marks-yet-another-bloatware-blunder-for-the-company.html

"Hmm, after our kerfuffle with Superfish, we should show the people that we aren't security idiots, what should we do to show this?"

"How about having our BIOS interact with a fresh OS install and force install our software?"

"BRILLIANT, NOTHING CAN GO WRONG"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Lenovo was never good, op.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Lenovo with Windows 10 still ship with the fugly battery meter and junk from yore?

Reddit raises a question I thought of too: What is Windows Platform Binary Table?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2015

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

lenovo was a no-name maker of chintzy chinese crap until IBM bestowed the ultimate brand name in business laptops upon them which they promptly ran into the ground

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

Lenovo was never good, op.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Ludwig van Halen posted:

lenovo was a no-name maker of chintzy chinese crap until IBM bestowed the ultimate brand name in business laptops upon them which they promptly ran into the ground

You mean chinky, you racist scumlord.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i remember when IBM was good

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

As a Millennial I posted:

i remember when IBM was good

those were the days

like, the 1980's

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
imagine working for IBM that long on huge x86 clusters just to have your team moved over to loving lenovo

now imagine lenovo being unable to sell huge x86 clusters to former "IBM-shop" sites they've had long relationships with because they're a chinese company that no site funded by DOD/DOE/NSF wants to trust

IBM recently had to use Cray as a subcontractor because they couldn't fulfill their original contract because the site wouldn't accept lenovo systems or support from lenovo itself

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Groove posted:

imagine working for IBM that long on huge x86 clusters just to have your team moved over to loving lenovo

now imagine lenovo being unable to sell huge x86 clusters to former "IBM-shop" sites they've had long relationships with because they're a chinese company that no site funded by DOD/DOE/NSF wants to trust

IBM recently had to use Cray as a subcontractor because they couldn't fulfill their original contract because the site wouldn't accept lenovo systems or support from lenovo itself

IBM deserves everything that happens to them.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

IBM deserves everything that happens to them.

is IBM a thing that even exists anymore

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they're actually buying macs now lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it would be cool to work for ibm and do main frame and wear a suit and be in the 50s. what if theyre offices were all mid century chic. that would be loving unreal.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
what if they had sexy secretaries. imagine. and a cocktail bar inside of the office.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

is IBM a thing that even exists anymore

same but Cray

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
what does IBM even do anymore?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Migishu posted:

they deliver world class business solutions to fortune 500 companies

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mostly consulting, openstack etc. umm, some hardware sales w/ power and mainframes. legacy licenses for db2.

they have an amazon/heroku cloud also-ran called bluemix. uhh what else. hmm..

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Migishu posted:

Charge out the rear end for the dying legacy of their name.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ibms main problem, and this can not be overstated, is that they have almost 400k employees, and revenue is drying the gently caress up. their debt is insane too. generally a poo poo company that probably won't exist in 20 years

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

ibms main problem, and this can not be overstated, is that they have almost 400k employees, and revenue is drying the gently caress up. their debt is insane too. generally a poo poo company that probably won't exist in 20 years

man they don't even exist now

but then again I'm not sittin around readin ziff-davis computer magazines

pram
Jun 10, 2001

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"were"?

what are you, british

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
in HPC land,
Cray is doing really really well, it's their main focus, if you want a supercomputer, get a Cray, easy to remember

IBM.... still has their BlueGene/Q I think, kind of a weird architecture and not everyone wants something like that! they sold off power but still sell the hardware, which is waaaay too expensive to use in HPC in large numbers anyways, so rip. they have some software (GPFS, LSF, tivoli, uhhh) that they charge a ton for but it won't be enough
support contracts on large systems will be running out in a few years that IBM isn't even trying to replace

watson for ceo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ibm is just a big consulting firm now. if you're in health care or government or other huge, boring industries, they will gladly take a lot of money from you.

lol my iphone doesn't recognize the word "ibm"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Time to drag back Louis Gerstner

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they also do custom java applications that are actually really bad, for fortune 500 companies

and also lotus notes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they make IBM compatible pcs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blue chip stock

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my uncle worked for Ibm in Asia for ages and he pretty much knows less about computers than I do and he was paid a good six deces to do it ibm is a lol company

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Wild EEPROM posted:

they also do custom java applications that are actually really bad, for fortune 500 companies

and also lotus notes
what are you talking about, they can't be that b-

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/08/07/anatomy-of-qld-health-it-disaster
-ibm-should-never-have-been-appointed/

oh yeah, that

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
also i just remembered an old classmate mentioned a while back that he works for ibm now and to let him know if i'm looking for a job in networking or something

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

My old job was at a place that uses an ibm java application

it would only run on a certain old version of java, and it also had a memory bar in the bottom right corner, which would continue to increase the longer you used the program. When you got to 400, it would take 1 minute per query. When you got to about 550, it would just automatically crash.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Management posted:

ibm is just a big consulting firm now. if you're in health care or government or other huge, boring industries, they will gladly take a lot of money from you.

lol my iphone doesn't recognize the word "ibm"

sounds like the future of Microsoft. maybe IBM should make a game console LOL

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
friend of mine works for ibm designing power processors. he has not begged me for a job yet but i am p sure that day will come.

ibm: releasing a press release about a "7nm" test chip while literally paying globalfoundries to take over their fabs. i am sure that 7nm process will be great excuse me
while i laff forever.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
they also do this apparently http://www.softlayer.com/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they bought softlayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

they have a company that's dedicated to my member?

• Locked thread