Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TerminalRaptor posted:

Charge out the rear end for the dying legacy of their name.

irritable bowel movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
bluemix isn't terrible and they have some good appsec poo poo

but overall ibm is dead

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lenovo announced that theyre laying of 3,200 people. about 5% of their global workforce.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/12/9146321/lenovo-layoffs-q1-2015-earnings

quote:

Lenovo laying off 3,200 people as part of mobile and PC streamlining

Lenovo chairman and CEO Yang Yuanqing has pledged to increase efficiency across the company, and that includes reducing headcount by 3,200 — 10 percent of Lenovo's non-manufacturing workforce and about 5 percent of the entire company. In an email to employees following the first-quarter earnings report, Yang identified two major challenges for Lenovo: the need to streamline in a declining PC market, and to properly structure mobile and enterprise businesses for future growth.

In mobile, Lenovo has to "better leverage the complementary strengths of Lenovo and Motorola to quickly drive growth," according to Yang, and will have "a much simpler, more streamlined product portfolio with a reduced number of clearly differentiated models." Yang also wants to extend Lenovo's PC lead from 20.6 percent of the market to 30 percent while cutting costs and becoming more efficient.

These changes will be completed "ASAP," says Yang, though the letter doesn't go into detail regarding which positions are most at risk. Lenovo reported first-quarter revenue of $10.7 billion, up 3 percent from a year ago, but profit dropped 51 percent to $105 million. The company says it faced "severe challenges" including a slipping PC market and increased mobile competition in China, but characterized its results as "solid."

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Migishu posted:

they have a company that's dedicated to my member?

no the microsoft thread is that way

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ibm still does stack ranking lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
has ibm gotten into shameless "let's just use some of our money to start playing the market" financial services yet or is that still sitting in the CEO's back pocket as the "tired of putting in effort, let's just cash in and go home" plan B envelope

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

has ibm gotten into shameless "let's just use some of our money to start playing the market" financial services yet or is that still sitting in the CEO's back pocket as the "tired of putting in effort, let's just cash in and go home" plan B envelope

ge did that and they scuttled if when they actually made rules recently.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Korean Boomhauer posted:

nice

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

how was vacations

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Korean Boomhauer posted:

:negative:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

kwinkles posted:

ge did that and they scuttled if when they actually made rules recently.

GE's commercial finance is still huge but they're working on it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-launches-bidding-process-for-40-billion-in-commercial-lending-operations-1433097083

quote:

GE has already agreed to sell a portfolio of real-estate assets for $26.5 billion and is working to dispose of most of the rest of GE Capital over the next year or so. The units going up for sale now account for slightly more than half the $74 billion in loans and other assets at its U.S.-based commercial-lending operation.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
watson for cfo

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
when i worked at ibm in 2012 they still made people use ibm thinkpads lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice