Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

In Training posted:

The movie is over 2.5 hours long, and 10.

isnt it the longest animated movie ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Radio Spiricom posted:

its only my third or fourth. i probably won't be posting much though because it generally steals my attention.

i've seen eva in full probably 10 times now and end of eva close to 30 times but i still probably won't be able to post during the simulwatch because i focus so much on it while watching

ive watched the last two episodes and eoe so many times i've completely lost count lol

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
this movie really has some of the most gorgeous understated backgrounds ive ever seen in a cartoon.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

In Training posted:

There's a shot of water coming up that sticks out more than anything else in the movie haha. It's so beautiful

one of my favorite shots in the movie is just kyon waiting in line at the convenience store and morosely watching his reflection in the window

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
its immediately overshadowed by asakura's appearance but i really love the montage of lonely as hell shots of the school grounds right before she shows up

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
in this show about miserable teenagers framed as incredibly tiny figures against huge bleak urban landscapes i think this is the tiniest anyone gets

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Radio Spiricom posted:

eva, utena, monogatari, any of masaaki yuasa's shows

i wanna specifically point to yuasa's show Kaiba where there couldn't be a larger and more disarming gap between the whimsical, childish character & set design (explicit homage to tezuka) and the devastating seriousness of what takes place, where often what literally appears on screen seems so sanitized and cartoonish it feels euphemistic

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Davincie posted:

overall though, you're better of with movies like the fantastic millenium actress

i hate to say this but the more i watch kon the more i have to admit none of his movies really do anything for me except tokyo godfathers which is super charming. like millennium actress is really disappointing to me. i always feel like he starts out with interesting structural ideas and then explores them in the least compelling way possible

e: specifically said 'movies' because paranoia agent is his best work by a mile

Darley-Wilkinson fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 19, 2015

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

In Training posted:

The only urusei yatsura I seen is the first two movies and it's enough to get the gist of the world and then understand why beautiful dreamer is so lovely

yah.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Zas posted:

this was such a good catch I'm trying to make a 1080p version but my dumbass video player and tiny monitor aren't cooperating. oh well, someday.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
i resized it the first time cause i figured i shouldnt post something that enormous lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
thinking about EE...

i've never been able to articulate this very well, but on top of being an amazing and harsh indictment of anime as vapid escapism, endless eight always sort of felt, to me, like a really affecting illustration of the insane cosmic miracle of chance. phiz anime thread guru Two Worlds made a good post about EE and quantum theory once that i totally can't seem to find right now, but maybe i can give an example that'll make sense- my single favorite moment in the entire arc is when kyon shakes out the bug box and one of the twigs lodges inside it. it's a completely banal non-event that would normally barely even be a blip on the radar, but when you see it as one possible variation from an infinite number (or 15532, close enough to make the point) of possibilities, it's something small and very, very precious. when i first saw it it was incredibly poignant to me in a way i still have trouble putting into words. like this feels pretty insipid as i'm fumblingly typing it out, but it seems to express the idea that everything down to the smallest event is miraculously plucked from an endless field of possible events and holds incredible value.

definitely thematically related to kyon having to choose the reality that means more to him by virtue of having shaped and touched his experience. like he expresses to haruhi in melancholy 6, they can't treat this choice as arbitrary- the reality that holds meaning for them is the one with the friends they've known and cared about

• Locked thread