Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Enjoy all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Okay, I think I found an alternative, is Mikuru Asahina supposed to be singing to me about her mikuru beam?

Yes!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

I forgot how amazing the first ep is

I believe it is the best series premiere in all of television

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Nagato/Itsuki exchange is excellent for many reasons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Once I knew how to make gifs, this was the first gif I ever made

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BTW. I'm the old guy who was yelling about fireworks for 0.5 seconds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i forgot how thirsty kyon was

It's the whole point of the show

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IF YOU SKIP HAre hare yukai you're banned. Should have put that in the OP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

Are we going right into the second episode, or waiting for the half hour?

I'm going in

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man, this music...the feels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sha na na na na na

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

So is this episode supposed to have the usual dance-party credits? Or did my video cut them out for some reason?

I think the first episode is only partial dance party but I forget.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HARUHI
ISM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait for Sugita to forget his bag.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:eyepop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Colonel Campbell: .jpg! This is your mission! All equipment is OSP (on site procurement)!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daedalus1134 posted:

The music during the Mikuru reveal...

Came here to post this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[Extremely dramatically] Ess oh Ess Dan.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now to make *consults my handwritten notes of annotated time stamps* 18 gifs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kyon feels like he's basically just Visual Novel Protaganist #06, and yet it's basically working so far and I can't quite place my finger on why.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, that was fun. I still don't quite see what all the fuss is about, but I'm on board.

Theres a payoff for this, Kyon is very deliberately written and presented. If you are interested after these first two episodes you will likely enjoy what the rest has to offer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im uploading this first gif now because I have a question for someone who may speak Japanese or may know something about it: what was up with this moment? Ive never really understood it, why does Mikuru correct herself?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Another good Aya Hirano performance is in Parasyte when she says "well maybe I should pleasure you" or whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Episode 00 - The Adventure of Mikuru Asahina

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What the heck!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Episode 01 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One

And of course,

:eyepop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Haha, the aspect ratio.

Its especially cool because i highly doubt in 2006 that the average amateur video recording device shot in 4:3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Living the goddamn dream..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

thank you in training

/me sighs and looks out the window as the summer days pass on into summer nights

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do yall think if Haruhi was made today, she would eat at Chipotle all the time. And say Netflix is bae.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

wait, current... hmm, it would be gatcha

Definitely. And probably Ore Mono but she wouldn't tell anyone about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite line in the second episode is something like "I turned him down because he wasn't an alien. Also, he asked me out over the phone. Who does that!" because it nicely sums up Haruhi's entire outlook on life, using the excuse of the supernatural to kinda bury her scarily-normal teenage girl nature.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol thinking about it doesn't she mention ghost TV shows at some point being lame because they neve catch ghosts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Post-simul we should watch all the Haruhi lucky star episodes , and all of Lucky Star.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

I was gonna say best frames of the show so far but then, if you include the ED, and looking back at some of the other gifs, it's like gently caress, this show is so good

I wish I was better at making gifs because I can only use free software that screws up all the colors and I feel like I'm doing the show a disservice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

thank you in training

Something I realized when I made this: this gag is like a split second long in the show, and they only dedicated 2 frames to each hairstyle for a total of 10 frames. But when you watch the cycle of the gif you realize that every shot isn't just taking the same scenario and giving her a new hairstyle; every day the chairs and desks and slightly different, the lighting is different and her expression is redrawn every time. The craft is quite astounding for something that lasts all of 0.5 seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's some CGI zooms here and there but I think I know what you're talking about. the particularly egregious CGI is used well though, since (later Melancholy spoilers) its used for alien super powers. Really heightens the sense of confusion and bewilderment. I know it was likely a cost-saving measure at its core but they make still manage to make it thematically cohesive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't criticising it, KyoAni have some of the best cg going. In fact I think it's cool that they use it effectively to make richer environments for the hand drawn stuff.

Most people associate anime CG with bad stuff like Sidonia, but it's actually used a lot more than you'd think

Same for film, lots of people don't realize how helpful CG can be for post-production, but overuse in big budget action films has often lead lots of people to dismiss it wholesale as universally ugly. Used well it's just another creative tool of many in anime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How many episode have we watched already? tia

2, with 2 more tonight.

• Locked thread