Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

My anime confession: I've only watched Haruhi in chronological order because I was a dumb kid. Maybe it's finally time to fix that.

My hosed up opinion: the broadcast order was a clever way to make it feel like the series was building up to something when it was just the first season but isn't really important, especially now that you can end on disappearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But yea I'm super excited about this Haruhi rules.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

but isn't the fact that the "gimmick" order was what they broadcast means that it was intentionally made that way and the chronological order is a fan-created/necessitated thing?
i mean you don't produce an entire series before air, broadcasts would've been dictated by a very deliberate production process.

The chronological order is cannon. They actually listed it at the end of every episode of the first season, and the second season aired in that order.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about the books but I think the chronological order follows them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

You should definitely watch Endless Eight. I don't think I really appreciated just what they were trying to do with this adaptation until I finished that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When the Funimation Blu-Rays finally come out they're going to be in chronological order (with maybe The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina first) and that will be ok.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Enthralling codec talk in ADTRW

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even with good headphones I cannot tell the difference between FLAC and 128 ACC

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Umm, just find a good source in chronological order, and watch them in the order you want.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

we were supposed to watch 2 episodes last night? ive already failed at the simulwatch.

This is okay, just watch the second episode this morning :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
crunchyroll and chill

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's no Haibane Renmei

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

For anyone concerned about plot advancement, just relax, keep your eyes and ears open, it's happening

plot is for the weak

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I was thinking about the schedule today and thought of this propose idea for how to watch past season 1.

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Thoughts?

Is Episode 15 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody? But yea I love this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I'll be too busy on the 11th of September playing Super Mario Maker.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like people are overselling EE just a little bit, it really looks like they got green lit for the movie and did it as a replacement out of desperation.

The last two episodes of NGE were partly due to business concerns and they still rule.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have never and probably still will not watch all of Endless Eight, the first 3 episodes and then the end was enough for me.

It is too powerful for you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
LETS DO THIS!! GET PUMPED!!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The whole meta poo poo with endless eight just totally flies over my head, I like the episodes because they're well made and seeing something from so many angles is really disorienting in a horrifying way.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cronodoculous posted:

I remember when I first watched this, I really thought stopping the loop was going to have something to do with the moment outside the cafe with Yuki. I really love how E8 treats Yuki. It doesn't dwell on her overmuch, but every shot she's in feel like it's twisting the knife.

She's not even doing anything, it's all context.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

Okay, the lighting has been getting darker over time, right? It was a red sky in episode 3 during the festival?

There are no consistent trends in EE, anything you try to figure out is all in your head.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnoHito posted:

Well yeah, Haruhi is definitely the thirstiest in the show.

Not even close.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

STOP WATCHING BASEBALL KYON.

God. How many centuries of goddamn baseball has he wasted his life on now? Of all the sports to be locked in a time loop with.

No I will not drop my beef with baseball, thanks for asking.

He doesn't even care who wins.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Like right now, non-diegetic. At the dance and the diner, the music was playing over loudspeakers in the background. Diegetic. There's also a lot less music in the first half than usual

It all blurs together which is cool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Radio Spiricom posted:

both eva and haruhi are perfect

ya

In Training posted:

I think Madoka belongs in the same tier too. Kinda.

na

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ya

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ADTRW watches Endless Eight and likes it this time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh God I love the rotating clock so much.

There are people who watched that and didn't think it was so good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

Am I the only sober person in this thread?!

ya

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel so good after watching that again. I'm so pumped up for some reason.

It's so good.

• Locked thread