Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zas posted:

A big reason to insist on broadcast order is that it forces even the dimmest people (myself included) to think hard about narrative structure, and how the order of events change the meaning not only of everything that follows but everything prior. This idea is baked into every level of the show, and it's tasty.

When I watched it a second and third time I tried making up my own episode orders to deliberately change the meaning of things we can't talk about yet, and sure enough it works well. Everything in Haruhi is in a state of ambiguity, and experiencing it chronologically, while fine, just isn't the most fun, or, as Haruhi would say, the most interesting way to do it.

It's a seriously modular show, and definitely by design, but I think they put a lot of thought into the broadcast order. I am convinced every episode matters and there is no filler. Orthodox Haruhism or nothing, imo

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zas posted:

Maybe we should put Haruhi-chan on the agenda. Just saying, it's a classic in its own right, and not that long.

yes, why not.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How many episode have we watched already? tia

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, good.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

:eyepop:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

something something with big breast?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

All those different broadcast orders are loving me up. I finally found out which kind of order I actually have after watching the wrong ones at first. And then today I checked out the beginning of the first episode for tomorrow and thought: man, I've hosed up again. And then I remembered we're watching the hosed up broadcast order...

:psyduck:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have finally caught up. Can't say much, but there is definitely a lot of interesting stuff going on. Especially what happened in the cave.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Candy Pop AMV owns.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I never got that either. :(

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Watching tonights episodes now instead of tomorrow, the next episode is one of my favourites even if nothing happens.

I watched them just now. I really want to hear about the reasoning of watching in this order.

And by the way I'm watching this the second time now and am enjoying it way more than the first time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

oh god i'm becoming one of the yuki likers

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How good is Bokurano by the way?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Live Alive

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm busy on 9/11 so I guess this weekend it's time for me to get drunk and watch the same poo poo 8 times in a row.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

endless eight owns

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i'm watching the third one and after that the fourth

tomorrow the other four

can't imagine watching this over 8 weeks :psyduck:

i wish i had done it when it was airing though

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

This. A good negative example of this is the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

There's the video with all 8 eps at the same time

Yeah. It's 3x3 and the middle ninth rectangle has all 8 episodes overlaid. It'scawesome.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I'll just watch that one 8 times, k thx

Japanese with subs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLsvngvealg

English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoBy-yawxk

Also have this for today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAEd17Tdro

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012