Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
hoping some noble gifmaster is ready to rise to the challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

tomare owns you loving shitlord

Haruhi doesn't actually have a bad OP or ED.

Super Driver's a massive, massive step down from the first OP but it's still alright

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Haruhi confession: I have never watched The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I never watched this because the Internet made it seem like it'd be too hard to get into, with all these different watch orders and poo poo.

But this is the year I started watching LoGH, another show I had put off for years because it seemed too hard to get into, and that's been great.

So if it's as straight forward as just watching it in broadcast order, I will watch this Haruhi's melancholy.

I'm also a big fan of Hyouka, so if it's the same studio then that's promising.

The actual timeline of events happens in a specific order in the episodes, (Melancholy Part 1-6, then the other episodes) but since (in the first season) any episode not actually called "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Part X" is stuff like a baseball game the order doesn't really matter and the way they did it allows for big climax at the end of the season.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

The way they did it does allow for a climax at the end of the season, yes, but there's a reason the episodes are presented in the order they are (and a reason those specific one off episodes were chosen) that goes beyond the mere desire for a big finish at the end

I will probably do broadcast order, then, I'm interested by this and the proceeding comments about it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

I just wanted to let you all know, in advance, that every morning I wake up and open palm slam a vhs into the slot. its hare hare yukai and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, yuki nagato, and so on

yuki is the main character in my nightmares

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I agree. She's the most interesting character, except maybe Kyon.

She's cool but she'd be much less interesting as the main character.

Kyon is great

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like that would really even be the best idea, since Disappearance of Haruhi apparently ended the original series on a really high note. Sometimes it's better to just finish something and move on to different projects.

It did, it made up for one of the more controversial parts of season 2 in loving spades

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PotU posted:

please read my 10,000 words essay on how Yuki Nagato from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu resembles the character Data from cult science fiction rom-com Star Trek a lot:

only if you'll read mine on how they didn't match haruhi's character design to the LNs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dezinus posted:

So far, enjoying going back to this. But I forgot how Kanon-level derpy the characters can look sometimes. What a different time.

The film made me kinda wish there were more lovely student films that they made. But I guess that well would dry up pretty quick.

That string piece that played in Mikuru's introduction really took me back.

ED is still top-tier among anime EDs.

what about the OP

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

The baseball episode holds up pretty well. I like seeing the extended gang.

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

Yeah, I went through in chronological order so it got spelled out pretty quick

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I think this episode shows Kyon and Haruhi at their worst. She's terrible and he complains and complains but doesn't do poo poo.

e: wait, if she bought the bunny outfits online, why did they come in shopping bags?

She ordered online and then picked them up in a store

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tell me about the Haruhi threads of yore

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I forgave them pretty much instantly for Endless Eight after they announced the movie

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Oddly enough, Disappearance and Endless Eight are around the same length. (D: 164 min, EE: 176 min)

Considering Disappearance got cut from the anime for the movie and they replaced it with more Endless Eight, I think it's not so odd

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: I don't know what episode we're on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

thanks for posting my favorite part of haruhi chan, that's what the star is for. it's a good show

I like haruhi chan because Kyon stands up to Haruhi in it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I will observe the haruhiism

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
holy poo poo it's that episode, I might actually have to hop in and watch

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Something small I'd like to bring up.

Kyon's the only member of the SOS Brigade not somehow obligated to be a part of the club. Mikuru, Itsuki, and Yuki all have reasons that compel them to be there, but Kyon could walk out any time he wanted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I rewatched the second half of Disappearance today and it's still good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

how far in are you guys. i still haven't seen the movie and this seems like as good a time as any

watch the movie, it's good

I'm reading the manga adaptation of the non-animated LN stuff right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I like the ending of this episode, it shows that as much as Kyon grumbles about Haruhi, he trusts in her enough to know she wouldn't want someone dead, even when the possibility is very strong that she could have been the trigger for the events.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ryoko raised an interesting question: what would Haruhi do if Kyon died? Could she bring him back?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know of any cool instrumental versions or remixes of the OP?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I an excited to listen to this when I have a chance thank you

Any idea what time the OP comes in?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
cut from the anime but left in the light novels was a scene after the concert where Haruhi proceeds to bang all the band members except the bassist

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

I forgot, the official website is based off the one in the show

http://www.haruhi.tv/

The hit counter lies to you

Speaking of, there's a fun point about Haruhi's webpage: 1/3rd of the total pageviews it gets are from the president of the computer club wanting to know what Haruhi's doing with his computer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's not nearly of the quality of Melancholy, it's a cute, quiet, slice of life romantic comedy that happens to feature the characters from Melancholy.

If you wanted more hanging out in the club room bits, with more romantic "when will they talk to one another about their feeling?" moments, and nothing supernatural whatsoever, then you'll enjoy it. If you want more Melancholy in the style of Melancholy, you'll hate it.

I liked it overall, but it's far from the best show I've ever seen. It's not a waste of time or anything, but don't expect it to be something other than what it is. You'll know by the first episode or so if you want to keep going.

It's bad because it wants Kyon to end up with Yuki

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

imo the best spinoffs are the onas, particularly haruhi chan, although they're very different from both Haruhi and DofYuki. I think you can watch most of haruhi chan now without worrying about season 2 spoilers? I seem to remember it being made before season 2 but I really have no clue, it's been a while.

It was made before season 2

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Season 2 has one of my favorite moments in the show where they tell a lot in about a full second's animation, not too long after the big dramatic moment a couple of posters have alluded to.

I'll have more to say on it when it happens though. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like people are overselling EE just a little bit, it really looks like they got green lit for the movie and did it as a replacement out of desperation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Watched Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

gently caress, I hate plotlines like this. Did Kyon just break time, forwards and backwards? And Mikuru sending him backwards in time specifically to do that just raises more questions.

Time's not broken, Mikuru wouldn't actively gently caress with time as that seems like something her superiors would really not want her to do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Time Travel is literally magic so who gives a gently caress either way

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

so pre game chat re: the folks who say "nothing happens/not enough happens in the EE/there isn't enough development to justify it's runttime/ etc" ((and I get where you're coming form): [spoilers obvi]

did you at least feel the development of the style of each episode? like just from memory the shots and editing become increasingly abstract at key moments, kyon speaks more and more sternly, the music gets ominous, the slice of life increasingly desperate (with exceptions), the relations more tense - !!! from one pov it's a crawl toward breakdown (which we don't get to witness in s2...,) and I get why some think it was artificially stretched, because it's such an uncommon and undramatic presentation of that kind of story.

the budget/making room for 'disappearance' explanation is believable for sure but I'd be really curious to know if that was the case. it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the decionmakers being ballsy and following their convictions after an enormous success. it's happened before and god willing it will happen again.

I have never and probably still will not watch all of Endless Eight, the first 3 episodes and then the end was enough for me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

It is too powerful for you.

nobody could withstand it, that's part of what makes it really cool

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I expect plenty of gifs from the thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quoting this so I can see it on something other than my phone

TheKingofSprings