Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just started watching the show, but I'll rewatch what I've seen to join in on this. It's waaaaay more bizarre than I ever expected, and I kinda dig that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Hell, it'll be worth rewatching what I've seen for The Adventures of Misuru Asahina.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The chronological final episode of Haruhi kind of seems like an anticlimactic way to finish the series, tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mabels big day posted:

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

I thought this too a few days ago. Speaking in past tense here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The point Zas is making, is that the broadcast order for Haruhi is weird, and cool, and interesting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Just discovered this show got a spinoff this year. It was bad. Greatly disheartened by this, I started looking for indications, any really, of a season 3, because there seems to be really crazy material left.

...they'll never make another season, will they? :sigh:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like that would really even be the best idea, since Disappearance of Haruhi apparently ended the original series on a really high note. Sometimes it's better to just finish something and move on to different projects.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zas posted:

for anyone looking for some background material before we get going I recommend https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18269/18269-h/18269-h.htm#SECTION_II and/or http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Always-Wanted-Afraid-Hitchcock/dp/0860915921

I have an uncle who works at kyoani and he tells me their adaptation was heavily influenced by Pascal and Lacan, so you know, it's legit stuff.

You've gone too far this time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I guess I can kind of get it, with the implication of watching it while it was being broadcast, but that is still literally giving up an episode before things start happening again, yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CrazySalamander posted:

I totally see why you love the sexual assaulter whose tantrums threaten to end the world, and who also considers everyone playthings for her amusement. Also it's really funny to call characters gay as an insult, and characters who struggle with completely comprehending emotions are never used in celebrated scifi/fantasy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mikuru is very cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, watching Boredom without mistakenly watching Melancholy Part 3 first really makes it much more apparent how much they hosed with viewers here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mikuru is cool, and Kyon is a jerk

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Remote Island Syndrome is a really fun two-parter with Haruhi at her least horrible, it will be cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm ready to commence Haruhism.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Let the Haruhism... begin.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This OP... still owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Soooo....is the world a program?

It sounds like the world is a program.

Haruhi secretly began the "trapped in an MMO" trend and nobody ever realized it!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Please knock, Kyon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Whoa, Haruhi drank quick.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...So are they cutting class right now? Japan has school on Saturdays, right?

Nah, Kyon said it's his day off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyon doesn't even know what the gently caress, man.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That was, like, four, I think?

Wait, five, counting the Baseball episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rip bike

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Get ready for Remote Island Syndrome!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I gotta say, I really do dig the background music.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That is a very cute Joker card

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyon's greatest enemy: Soda vending machines

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Linnaeus posted: