Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Okay, so.... I hadn't ever seen this show before, and on a whim I decided being part of a ~goon simulwatch experience~ could be fun, and now I just burned through the first season over the past three days.

The OP says Endless Eight happens on 9/11, is that still the plan? And just to confirm, all I need to do to be caught up now is watch "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"?

Also, I'm curious - was the broadcast order actually intentional, or the result of some bureaucratic gently caress-up within whatever network originally aired the show? And if it's intentional, why did subsequent DVD releases stick with chronological order?

Ceterum censeo this show is really loving badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drat, that's 5PM here. Should I watch one or two of the episodes beforehand? I'd hate to be ~20-30 minutes behind through an eight-episode marathon.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Agronox posted:

TOMORROW'S THE BIG DAY

"Mr. President, we've detected closed space around Manhattan..."

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wait I thought this was going to happen at 9pm eastern / 6pm Pacific?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's too bad 9/11 didn't fall on a weekend this year. We could've started at 8:46am est, which would work for everyone I think :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Literally counting down the minutes until I can leave work

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gently caress got home five minutes too late

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this opening is pretty awesome

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drat it haruhi it says no diving

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

kyon + bicycle = katyusha

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

clubroom in two days right

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

did they focus on the bell the first time?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zas posted:

so truthfully no one thought a thing called endless 8 was gonna have 8 eps? I know there are different reasons for the 8 but it still seems like... I dunno, not that surprising. the execution is surprising no doubt...

Yeah that seems weird, it says eight right there.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dat swimsuit

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wow this music really is foreboding.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The first episode actually was the first cycle, right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

"Classified information" over and over again always makes me smile.

Thanks to these scenes I think I'll never forget how to say "classified information" in Japanese.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

darealkooky posted:

I don't remmeber the exact number, how much bigger is it than last time

last time it was ~15,900

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dezinus posted:

Kyon do your homework

Calling it, the key to stopping the loop is actually the loving homework.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Things Kyon should do;
- Unplug his phone
- Spend all summer doing homework
- Take Haruhi on a date the last day

Or something thematically similar to the above.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

In this episode everybody is dressing like Trainer sprites from the Gameboy Pokemon games

holy poo poo you're right

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Could someone give me a timestamp so I can get an idea of how behind I am?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

around 7 mins into the fourth

Thanks, only about a minute or so then

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Argona posted:

Airplane... endless eight simulwatch on 9/11.... The answer is clear...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Okay, the lighting has been getting darker over time, right? It was a red sky in episode 3 during the festival?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I just got it. I'm putting my money on insisting on paying for the mask

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I thought it was Kyon confessing to Haruhi.

I think he can't just do that out of the blue, it has to be in response to something. Like her reacting to him doing something nice for someone else.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Okay, so now I'm thinking that it's actually counterproductive to try hard to do what Haruhi wants. It's too obvious. Instead, Kyon has to go the other way, analogous to how Shinji rejects instrumentality in end of evangelion. He has to withdraw from the group and take the opportunity to do his homework and some introspection. Then he can emerge from the other side as a wiser man, who follows his own direction, instead of slavishly following the whims of someone else.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

darealkooky posted:

it's pretty hosed up that japanese schools give you homework over the summer imo

IIRC in Japan summer vacation isn't when they get promoted a grade, it's just a long vacation in the middle of the school year for them

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

denwa #5 is go

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

"...My mission is to observe." :smith:

...Naah. I'm not feeling that. I mean, I've felt like this show has consistently had a minor theme of "Your Friends Are Awesome!" to it, it seems weird for a major arc like this to end in "hey, gently caress those guys, go do you for a while."

You can be friends with people without being joined at the hip, though. Perhaps it's about about codependency or something?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

With bug noise to boot. Nice time to start getting hyped for the Eva simul

We should start that immediately after this one and make sure we time the finale for Dec 31, so we can all experience Third Impact together

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh. Nothing about this sequence of events has come off like a codependency or anything. I mean, not doing your summer homework because you were loving around with friends isn't the greatest decision you could possibly make, but it's not exactly a sure sign of particularly unhealthy behavior.

That's fair, but I still think this it has to be something that vein.

Basically, I think the most dramatic, unheard of change that could happen is indeed for someone to say no to Haruhi. It might not happen as the result of a deliberate choice, maybe Kyon will absentmindedly say "I don't really feel like doing that" at one of Haruhi's suggestions. But to reject her is the one thing nobody has ever done in the whole series.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Parallax posted:

i think actually i will rewatch this sometime soon because drinking + chatting is real fun but not actually the best way to appreciate it

I think I will try to get some friends hooked on this show so I can enjoy their tears when we get to this. I'm of course assuming that I myself will be reduced to tears a few hours from now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Also I'd like to point out that everyone who says the best anime isn't LOGH is contradicting the ADTRW party line and will probably get disappeared or something

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zas posted:

And my electricity is out happy a follow 911 y'all

Mine too

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So thankfully I have this on disk and I'm using a laptop, so I will survive endless 8 today. But I'm reduced to phone posting. Thanks Edison

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Agronox posted:

hahaha people are feigning power outages now to drop out.

Sorry guys there's a tornado gotta go

Hey I'm not dropping out, in fact my experience is made more meaningful by total darkness and no A/C

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

KYON. KUN. DEN. WA.

Don't need you to tell me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Lol.

I mean, it's not entirely false. But still, loving lol

Through our analysis we prove our dedication to the cause of haruhi-sama. Stay the course, everyone!

• Locked thread