Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
:3: gifs! And ventriloquism!

One of the things I liked about this was how much more becomes obvious on later viewings. For instance, Kyon not being very subtle about getting Mikuru's chest in front of the camera.

Mikuru really has a bad time with the movie, doesn't she? Even her pal Tsuraya can't take her at all seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Was there ever a consensus "best sub"?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The baseball episode holds up pretty well. I like seeing the extended gang.

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dear OP,

Can you put the schedule in the OP? Heck I'll write it up if it's a pain in the rear end

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ferretts posted:

The more I think about that scene (and some others) the more Haruhi appears the straight sociopath.

I think sociopathy implies some sort of conscious effort in being heartlessly manipulative, but she just seems more ignorant than anything. Though I suppose even if the show is named after her, she's kind of the antagonist in many ways.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
She's more Raskolnikov before the crime, no?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

She's the furthest possible character from Raskolnikov...

How so?

Also this is true:

Mentat Radnor posted:

Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her selfish actions are fun to watch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Raskolnikov is also young and stupid, though not AS young but probably MORE stupid but I will drop it as I was just kind of thinking out loud anyway.

Kyon is clearly Sancho Panza though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah. They're not even remotely comparable.

When Haruhi and Taniguchi end up in Siberia at the end of the LNs you'll eat your words motherfucker

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zas posted:

christian approaches to haruhi are interesting to me and fear and trembling is a good lens for the show, nice work you get a star

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Geeeez finally getting better subtitles has made this much more rewarding. The foreshadowing is more obvious but I like it!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

And Nagato is too intimidated to actually take a sip. Beautiful

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Holy poo poo, the SAclopedia still exists? It's like a museum!

No Haruhi entry, kind of surprisingly. I didn't watch any of this stuff back then but there were banners and avatars everywhere for it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah it's 8 episodes with nearly identical dialogue but otherwise completely different. It's incredibly cool.

But it's still one of those things I like much more in theory than in practice. They could've gotten the point across in half the episodes without really losing anything. If I was watching it live I absolutely would have lost my poo poo too.

Though even in spite of all that, the last 5-10 minutes of the arc might be some of my favorite scenes in the entire series, so it's hard to be too mad about it.

Actually, it's premature to talk about it now, I guess--here comes Nagato to bonk us on the nose--but I definitely look forward to hearing what people say about it when we get there in the watch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dailydares posted:

This notion is ridiculous--art that works with repetition works specifically with time and duration and perceptions shift and meanings are gained and created (or lost and destroyed) for the longer that things go on.

I hope you are right and I am willing to be convinced, but let's wait until we get there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Ok, what the gently caress was up with that mole?

Somebody said it has something to do with Japanese superstition but I don't remember what it meant.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So it's Someday in the Rain and Melancholy IV, right? These are good episodes.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Good stuff. And in the extended universe (or whatever you'd call it) I really like that Asakura is more or less the MVP of both -chan series.

So why does Haruhi kind of freak out when Kyon wakes up? Because she's been hovering over him... doing what exactly? Taking pictures? At least he's too dumb to figure it out.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
GLORY TO THE COMPUTER CLUB!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

If you're Kyon I don't know how you could possibly say no.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Season 1, a Masterpiece of Anime

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato any good? I just stumbled across some stuff talking about it, and I might be down for a Yuki-centric show if it's not all Rei-clone fanservice.

It has some good moments but it's pretty boring. Not a ton of fan service, but there is some. The change in art style takes some getting used to.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's tough to have an existential crisis at age 12.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

Obviously everyone loves the climax of Melancholy VI. But:

SHUT
UP
SHAMISEN

always makes me smile.

Sagittarius has been my favorite ep for a while but I will admit Live Alive is a new contender after this rewatch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zas posted:

(rip pg 45)

It was worth it.

I would also add:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Also in Melancholy II when Kyon visits Nagato he tries to open the room and she stops him. Or he gazes longingly at the door, or something. 3 years before they even had the idea of animating that episode.

This is one of the reasons I can't help but love this show, even though I think S2 is a big step down. KyoAni just puts so much care into the animation and planning.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

It's gonna be the second best 9/11 ever :D

jet fuel can't melt mikuru beams

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am hoping to mine the old thread for fun E8-related stuff between now and tomorrow, but let me know if it gets annoying and I'll stop.

It all starts with a post right after Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, where some attentive fans put together their best guesses for what the new Season 2 eps would cover.

quote:

May 21 ep08 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (New)
Jun 18 ep12 Endless Eight (New)
Jun 25 ep13 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 (New)
Jul 02 ep14 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 (New)
Jul 09 ep15 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 3 (New)
Jul 16 ep16 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 4 (New)
Aug 21 ep21 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 (New)
Aug 28 ep22 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 (New)
Sep 03 ep23 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 3 (New)
Sep 10 ep24 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 4 (New)
Sep 17 ep25 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 5 (New)
Sep 24 ep26 Charmed at First Sight Lover
Oct 1 ep27 Snow Mountain Syndrome Pt 1 (new?)
Oct 8 ep28 Snow Mountain Syndrome Pt 2 (new?)

Well...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
TOMORROW'S THE BIG DAY

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
No Tsurayahair on Yuki please.

Also, I was going to start quoting the 2009 live thread while this was going on but it's a pain in the rear end to quote out of the archives. But if you get a chance you might want to look at it as the thread participants slowly lose their minds.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3141091&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Relax In Training-san, in fifteen minutes we all become one

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Bring a swimsuit and plenty of money.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

Did they just decide to remove all the interesting parts from this episode or something? They seem to have covered everything from the book except the (book 5 spoiler) revelation that the events of this episode been on an endless loop with minor variation for centuries, with only Yuki being consciously aware of it (and they also changed the ending since they actually removed all the conflict from this episode without that revelation.)

This might actually be a two-parter as was mentioned earlier but I don't feel like they have enough material left over from the book version to make a whole new episode. Unless (book 5 spoiler) the next episode begins exactly the same only with Kyon making a bunch of remarks about "deja vu" until they figure out something is wrong halfway through or something like that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

So, after next week, the next new episode will probably be Snowy Mountain Syndrome to finish off The Rashness of Haruhi Suzumiya. The week after next should be a repeat of The Day of Sagittarius.

Not sure if they'll go on to Disappearance/Vanishment or do part of The Disturbance (the next set of short stories. Disappearance is a good story but it would probably be another 5-6 episode long plot (though I could see it cut down to 3-4 fairly easily.) Considering they did the John Smith story, Disappearance is likely.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

Dammit! They ARE making it a three parter! Why!? And why are cliff-hangers so painful when you already know what happens?! Oh well, more angles next week I guess.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

I'm convinced that what they're doing is some sort of avant-garde brilliance. Every week when an episode comes out and we find out that it isn't the end, I can feel the rage that Bill Murray felt, waking up to find that he hadn't moved on to the next day yet.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

Prediction: As opposed to being more Endless Eight, the next episode will completely skip the resolution of it and we'll move on to something completely different.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

darealkooky posted:

how long did you spend finding these quotes

Doing it concurrently actually :D

Also I think Lucky Star came out between S1 and S2

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

That's the really hosed up part

Wait, really? There's a scene of Konata complaining about E8, even though Kyoani hadn't even animated it yet? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

The most brilliantly trolling thing about this was all the speculated spoilers simply glazed over this story, assuming it'd finish in 1 episode and focus on Disappearance. But when that came out, NO ONE said there'd be three or more episodes, everyone said two. Then when that came out, NO ONE said there'd be four or more episodes, everyone said three. So I will call it here. Next episode will be drastically different, but they will still fail, going onto episode 5.

• Locked thread