Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I will create the easiest levels filled with 1-ups to support my fellow bad gamers when they attempt the 10-mario challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I will immediately skip all levels that require small mario to navigate long 1-block high corridors filled with turtle shells.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In Training posted:

That would be impossible.

I'm talking about the ones where you have long 1-block large corridors, and then some narrow vertical shafts to jump over shells that require trial-and-error timing.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I will probably be creating more levels than I play. I hate that there is a limit to the number I can have on the system, because I have a gigantic hard drive for my Wii U.

If you mess around with different accounts on your wii u, you should apparently be able to have 120 on each. It's a dumb limitation either way though.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

Pretty happy with how this one turned out

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

also lmao that it has a sub 50% win rate despite playing itself

That surprised me a bit, I thought the level name and the fact that auto-playing levels are like 10 years old by now would clue them in.

If anyone wants to play an even easier level than an auto-scroller, this is it:

1A75-0000-0027-A193

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you want to assault Bowser's air fortress?

Perhaps you should play this level!

It's titled Assault Bowser's Air Fortress!

48D8-0000-0027-BA36

Good stuff. I've been playing a lot of 100-mario challenges, and it's nice to see a level where the coin arrows doesn't lie and that telegraphs incoming danger and gives you the means to deal with it instead of just slapping 20 lakitus at the start and calling it a day.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want to go back at some point and make a pretty version, but first I wanted to have a functional level that wasn't as hard as my other ones. Of course, the clear rate's not any better than the Spelunky level, which is way tougher, so...

If you go back, I recommend tweaking the thwomp section with the small cannons, and the part close to the end with the burning cheep-cheep. Bowsers randomness made that part kinda tricky.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

extreme is nothing but retarded levels and tedious self indulgent crap. Ive gotten like one good level out of 20

Aye, I think I might have found like 4-5 good levels total playing the 100-Mario challenge. I noticed my bar of expectation getting crazy low, to the point where I would star every level that didn't actively annoy me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait... the cheep-cheep can show up at the end? I did not realize that. It's placed way earlier, I didn't know it would follow the player that far through the level.

Yeah, close to the end, when you're climbing towards Bowser there was a huge burning cheep-cheep that made that section kinda tricky and felt a bit random, since you can't predict Bowser's flames. I've noticed the enemy and platform spawning can be a little erratic at times, so that might be why.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

mabels big day posted:

My second level is an homage to one of my favorite level types in DKC2

Grinding Grove

FF5F-0000-002E-BE9A

when I get the Diddy costume I'll probably make another one like this. I had more ideas but I ran out of enemy space because I used so many chompers and piranha plants as decoration.

Good poo poo. I echo FactsAreUseless sentiment, no individual challenge is unfair, but the length makes it grueling. If you make another, consider adding some decoration to the places that don't require spike balls

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually didn't think it needed more decoration, I loved the look. You can't do much to make 8-bit Mario levels that pretty, but there was a lot of good detail in this.

It looks good, the irregular enemy placement works well as decoration, but adding some differently colored tiles to places that cannot be reached could make it could make it even prettier.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

shout outs to the guy that named his level goomba souls

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

Please someone play this and tell me if you think it's too difficult. For some reason it has a pretty bad clear rate despite being, imo, pretty easy. I guess maybe a lot of people are really liberal about using skip in 100-challenge?

7251-000-002A-50B6

It's pretty easy. People probably skip it since wings on everything makes everything a bit random

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

no they will not posted:

I'm trying really hard to not make a bunch of walking simulator levels where you can't die [level with individual goombas trapped in cages you can release into lava one by one, animal crossing level where you play as the villager and have to get fruit from trees and sell it etc]

Do it, there's enough hard levels as it is. The people playing the easy 100-Mario challenge need some fun too.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I think I will keep playing normal or easy 100-Mario challenges to unlock the costumes, and use the expert levels to discover new fun courses. Playing expert to win requires a lot of skipping for me and even when I find a good level, I'm usually looking for ways to cheese it and short-circuit challenges instead of enjoying the concept.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In Training posted:

They're all Kaizo Mario bullcrap. Normal is the a nice balance from what I've seen so far

The thing that sucks is that even when they're good, it's hard to enjoy them. MBD's donkey kong level is really good, but if I was at 10/16 levels and at like 35 lives left, I would probably skip it until I found a level that was easier. It's not an ideal playing experience. Most of the levels are just pure garbage though.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

If you put Wigglers on a Track then they act as a mobile bouncy platform. You can vary the speeds by adding Anger, or Wings, or Both, to the wiggler.

If you add wings to wigglers and then Goombas, it looks sorta kinda like they're at a rodeo and this is an important part of my current project "Mario ruins the goomba festival"

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

SeXReX posted:

make your unbeatable levels now before this gets patched
http://www.twitch.tv/wawlconut/v/16128336

You still have to beat the level yourself. This isn't that different from having tons of pits that box you in with hidden coin blocks, which are good ways to make people skip your level.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Mario has started up a donut delivery business, and business is good. But his latest customer is deep in the territory of the Red Koopa Donut Pirates. It's up to Mario to deliver his delicious donuts through their fleet, and into a hungry stomach.

Dangerous Donut Delivery - 9CDA-0000-003D-F373

You made a cruel, cruel level

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I wanted it to be easier, but you can't put donut blocks right next to each other on a track.

I also have a version with ice blocks instead of donuts and it is definitely a cruel level.

Yeah, it's the only way to make it, but the constant jumping between blocks was nerve-wrecking. It's also really good

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

Jesus, the clear rate on my wiggler level is super low even though it gives you a ton of powerups and never requires anything too precise.

I even went through the whole thing dying on purpose to try to find the X marks, but they're all at the very start, on a set of bounces where you can just hold forward+run+jump and clear it pretty much automatically.

Do a lot of people just not know that Mario can bounce higher off the heads of enemies? Do they not know that Y/X makes Mario go faster? I dont get how so many people can fail something that straightforward.

The start is fine once you realize that you can ignore the first wiggler and just run and bounce on the rest. I failed a few times at the part where you have to use the cape to fall through the wigglers. I didn't quite get how to navigate it. Then I stopped trying because I wasn't enjoying that challenge.

e: maybe add a few "hint coins" to that part to show the intended route?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Otisburg posted:

help me goons.

is there a better way to represent motherbrain for my metroid finale homage? I need something that will mostly stay put in the "tank" and take several hits but ultimately die. using the orig tile set. right now I've got a pile of pirana plants but i'm already using that for each of the tube thingies on the approach and it doesn't feel super satisfying.

Maybe three wigglers stacked on top of each other, using tracks to ensure they don't leave, and then use bob-ombs as missiles?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Hm I didn't have the track unlocked when I originally built this piece, I'll have to go back to the lab with it a bit...

E: I also didn't know bobombs killed wigglers, cool.

You're using ice blocks as a way to illustrate mother brain's tank, right? Because they destroy ice blocks too.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Soral posted:

i made a level that requires you to do a full running flutter jump with yoshi and then leap off of him to make it to the platform. even though the route is well marked out and you can clearly see the expected path and all platforms if you scope things out, the level has a 6% clear rate and literally every death is at that jump. i think people are just hesitant to abandon yoshi to his death

6% isn't that bad, even when paths are well indicated, those giant leaps still require some timing that can take a try or two, and people playing on expert are very liberal with the skip button.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Completion percentage is wins vs. deaths, not skips. It's why even easy short levels might have a 30 percent completion rate.

I thought attempts counted even if you skipped the level, since that would explain the sub 100% on the really easy ones

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

This course started as a simple wall jump and koopa hop thing, but it evolved into a course with tons of different ways to get through, some much faster than others. My record in this course is 80 seconds remaining on the clock. Match that if you can.

Speed Run Labyrinth - A6A8-0000-0044-DDAB

is there a trick to avoid the mushroom cave at the start. I think I can optimize the paratroopa jumping more, but that cave at the start slows me down

e: figured it out

Azraelle fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 17, 2015

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Latest level, Mario ruins the Goomba festival: 1ACC-0000-0047-EFF5

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

There's no way I'm ever bouncing on that turtle

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Now I've unlocked all the costumes available on easy and normal and totally unrelated I want to find every person who made a level where you have to move instantly at the beginning or where doors lead to instant death and force them to beat the item abuse romhack before they get to make another level.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ghooooost train. Ghooooooooost traaaaiiiiiin.

78EE-0000-0071-B4A0

My favourite part was the dinner car with the fire flowers on the tables.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I made a weed level: 1173-0000-0073-9977

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'm slowly making my way to unlocking all the costumes, and then I will go and play the good goon levels.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should be able to make 8-level "playlists" with anyone's levels, so you can share the playlist code and just play through eight levels. You could put together lists of thematically similar levels, etc.

Something like this is on top of my wish list.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mario and Yoshi Visits the Garbage Dump: B7B2-0000-0094-E88A

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

Needs more stuff on screen

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

What's everyone's hopes for new Mario Maker content?

* Ways to collect and share levels as worlds
* Mega Man costume shoots pellets
* Some way to control spawning and despawning
* Vertical levels
* More decoration options

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

My amateur hour SMM world game mode idea: 4 or 8 levels, start with 5 lives, no limits on 1-ups per level and power-ups carry over between levels. Beating random worlds unlocks alternate graphics for objects and enemies.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Grab Yoshi and enjoy a nice stroll through the improved garbage dump:

8C80-0000-0098-F0A3

And some good levels i found:

Waluigi's one car emporium
83BD-0000-0053-DF57

Hotel Bowser
5F47-0000-002F-19A6

Some level that an 8-year old kid did that was pretty funny:
7FB8-0000-0078-A473

zen death robot posted:

Warning: autoscroller

5506-0000-00A6-835D

theres a secret route if you find where to jump

I found the secret route but at the wrong end

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

i bought this game, finally. which levels have you guys made that youre extremely proud of. please share them with me so i can appreciate your creativity

8C80-0000-0098-F0A3
EDE9-0000-004C-EEAC
3BFB-0000-0023-F4C1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I love getting miiverse posts on my courses more than anything else. It's ftw when someone likes your course enough to comment on it instead of instantly playing another mario.

If you want to take another stab at the donuts-on-rails level, there's a trick to make them into a continuous bridge.

• Locked thread