Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

If you are lonely sleeping alone at night, then this show is for you! A first-person anime, each episode features a different boyfriend who sleeps beside the viewer each week. With 12 different personalities and ranging from a stall vendor to a librarian boy, there is surely a boyfriend for every viewer!

Let us watch them together, these boys. They live in a would without sound effects or music (except for a inappropriately uptempo opening) and are only completed by our presence. Alone they are only an anime, but together they are the voices in our heads, telling us everything is going to be ok. It is a love too pure for this 3d world.

Watch it on Crunchyroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Pillow Boys sounds like the really wimpy version of the bad guys from JoJo part 2.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If you have trouble sleeping, the first episode will put you to sleep.

The weirdest thing so far was the bit with the musician saying he would play some music to help you get to sleep, then no sound actually plays at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

The weirdest thing so far was the bit with the musician saying he would play some music to help you get to sleep, then no sound actually plays at all.

You have to imagine it, the best violin solo you've ever heard.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For an optimum viewing experience, run Rainy Mood in the background.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Preview of the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JQtxTzjqc

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The OP is seriously the worst thing. It's so much louder than the rest of the show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

You have to imagine it, the best violin solo you've ever heard.

I mean I guess if you're imagining this 2d hottie actually speaking to you, imaging the music isn't too far off.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
There was an OVA a few years ago called "Sleeping with Hinako" which was pretty much the same thing but with a girl. It was part of a series that also included "Training with Hinako" and "Bathing with Hinako".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hadaka Apron posted:

There was an OVA a few years ago called "Sleeping with Hinako" which was pretty much the same thing but with a girl. It was part of a series that also included "Training with Hinako" and "Bathing with Hinako".

Oh! This reminds me of the bathtub merman show! That was pretty good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hadaka Apron posted:

classic series

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hadaka Apron posted:

These sound like good episodes for the Coworker Guy to also get.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Creepy stuff.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 13, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

There also wasn't a sound effect for the door opening at the beginning of that episode, or any car sounds in the second episode.

I don't think anyone put a great deal of work into this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Animation is hard! There are two people who worked very hard on this show!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Potsticker posted:

He's just a big fan of John Cage.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

He's just a big fan of John Cage.

Captain America dot gif

boom boom boom posted:

There also wasn't a sound effect for the door opening at the beginning of that episode, or any car sounds in the second episode.

I don't think anyone put a great deal of work into this show.

Strangely I didn't even realize there was no ambient traffic noises in this episode.

Maybe I had too much to drink.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

Strangely I didn't even realize there was no ambient traffic noises in this episode.

Maybe I had too much to drink.

Do you normally get this drunk? Are you having personal problems?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Do you normally get this drunk? Are you having personal problems?

S-Sempaiー

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thanks for sharing.

Please don't again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This thread is for talking about Pillow Boys. Maybe we should make a general "sleeping with anime characters A/V material" thread?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Potsticker posted:

These sound like good episodes for the Coworker Guy to also get.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It messes up the whole "first person" thing when the perspective randomly changes to some angle like 8 feet away. Also, I liked the part where the Coworker Senpai guy talked about how he wanted to commit suicide due to screwing up at work.

edit: Based upon this and Kimi wa Petto, is the whole "random guy freeloading in your house" an actual Thing?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It messes up the whole "first person" thing when the perspective randomly changes to some angle like 8 feet away.

That's because you're zipping around like goku fighting cell

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ytlaya posted:

It messes up the whole "first person" thing when the perspective randomly changes to some angle like 8 feet away.

but a consistent perspective is a lot harder to do than just half a dozen random still images of an anime boy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
One should maintain high standards for four-minute fanservice shows, who knows what you might end up with otherwise.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Everything Burrito posted:

One should maintain high standards for four-minute fanservice shows, who knows what you might end up with otherwise.

Bikini Warriors has a lot more effort put into it than Pillow Boys.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That doesn't surprise me at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, it's not that shocking.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I just watched all the eps out for Pillow Boys, it's kind of amusing, but the lack of music to set the mood is kind of a letdown. Even Wakako-zake has sound effects (PSHUUUU!!!)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The beauty of Pillow Boys is that you can imagine whatever music you want with the first person view. And the sound effects too!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
You laugh but if this poo poo was about lesbian anime girls you fags would be unironically defending it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who's laughing?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Me.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Sakurazuka posted:

Who's laughing?

I'm.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

lol if you think any of this is ironic

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Potsticker posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The astronomy guy is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's intensely awkward to watch but also fun. A lot of that for me comes from the novelty of being catered to with fanservice that doesn't also include some worthless otome game heroine getting preyed on and features guys older than 17 (32! 41!!).

Virtually nothing aimed primarily at women ever has high-end production values; look at what a slide show the average shoujo anime is, even the really popular ones. The sound in this actually reminds me a lot of BL drama CDs where you have a couple of voice actors and maybe a handful of lovely sound effects. It doesn't really need a whole lot though. You've got a sexy guy talking at you in a sexy voice, who cares about ambient background noise lol. Yeah if you're watching this and used to high-end titty shows it's gonna look like poo poo, but coming from the other side of things where everything looks like cheap garbage it doesn't come across that bad.

In conclusion
/

• Locked thread