Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

We Bare Bears is a new show on Cartoon Network made by Daniel Chong, inspired by his webcomic from a few years ago. CN's summer schedule is pretty chaotic but new episodes generally air Thursdays at 6:30.

It's a slice-of-life show about three bears who live in the woods outside San Francisco. They are socially awkward and anxious and a bit neurotic, but they mean well, and are big and fluffy and absolutely adorable so things ultimately work out for them in the end.

CHARACTERS

Grizzly (voiced by Eric Edelstein): he is curious, friendly, and excitable but clumsy and awkward, leading to many (mis)adventures.

Panda (voiced by Bobby Moynihan): kind and neurotic, but in an endearing way.

Ice Bear (voiced by Demetri Martin): stoic and monotone, he always refers to himself in the third person.

HERE'S A PREVIEW THING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtNVhZrm4Cc

And here is a mini-episode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKi8iwQ8ZP8

Like seriously though it's such a flipping cute show. There aren't many episodes out yet but it's already been renewed for a second season, so now's the best time to get in on the ground floor of a great new cartoon!

Hop on a hashtag bearstack and join the fun!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The stinger for Burrito isn't fair, a show isn't supposed to make me feel feelings until at least the first season's finale.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

So far, I'm enjoying this show.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

This thread needs more Ice Bear.

Should have been the thread title.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
For those interested, here's the old webcomic on blogspot. There aren't many issues, so it doesn't take long to read: http://thethreebarebears.blogspot.co.uk/

Does anybody know if there used to be more? It's possible that Chong took some down since it's now a children's cartoon (the first issue involves grizzly mauling a child, so it might not have all been appropriate...)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Noonsaliwah posted:

For those interested, here's the old webcomic on blogspot. There aren't many issues, so it doesn't take long to read: http://thethreebarebears.blogspot.co.uk/

Does anybody know if there used to be more? It's possible that Chong took some down since it's now a children's cartoon (the first issue involves grizzly mauling a child, so it might not have all been appropriate...)

No, no, this is all wrong, Ice Bear sometimes refers to himself in the first person!

But really, I didn't know about this, this is cool.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The crew blog is here: http://wedrawbears.tumblr.com/
The creator (Chong)'s art blog can be found here: http://theicebearjudgesyou.tumblr.com/

Chong's blog's name name, 'Ice Bear Judges You' (from the last line of his first comic), was apparently a meme at some point six years ago? Not that I ever remember seeing it - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ice-bear-judges-you

e: Apparently Chong made a book called 'Ice Bear Judges You', seen here: http://theicebearjudgesyou.tumblr.com/image/11564817517, but I can't find it now.

e2: Found this image of the book open, which shows it's a panel-per-page mini comic book. So it's probably just the strips we see on the site http://simonchungartauction.tumblr.com/post/95320343765/signed-copy-of-his-first-book-ice-bear-judges

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 14, 2015

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just gonna repost the fanart that made me curious about the show:

I'd totes hang out with these dudes for some calzones and pulp-free juice. They're just so cute and huggable. :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't really watch cartoons anymore but shows like this make me glad that we recovered from the abyss of early Flash and CGI animation.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Show's okay, nothing spectacular. Theme song is really good.

Also Ellie Kemper is in it, so forget what I said above. Best show ever.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noonsaliwah posted:

Ice Bear settled that out of court.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is a lot of fun!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Any show that can make a roomba the most dangerous weapon in the vicinity is just the best :allears:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"It's not my fault I was born round!" :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This show is flippin' great and actually makes use of the 11-minute format to tell a complete story better than the bad/mediocre episodes of Adventure Time/Regular Show, you know the ones that feel like they ended half-way and didn't go anywhere.

I really like it so far and it fills a niche between Regular Show slacker/tech humor and Steven Universe endearing cute stuff.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Promo for the new episode is out: Jean Jacket.

https://youtu.be/YVvNDEKQ8hw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ShadowCatboy posted:

Just gonna repost the fanart that made me curious about the show:

I'd totes hang out with these dudes for some calzones and pulp-free juice. They're just so cute and huggable. :3:

The best thing about that fanart is that they made fun of it in the Backpack and Pigeons episode.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: Polar bears aren't actually white. Their fur is actually transparent.

I also like the fact that when Ice Bear was camouflaged you could still see his nose. In the wild when a polar bear is hiding in the snow his nose is the only thing visible and he covers it with his paw to stay totally hidden.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kinda appropriate that Patton Oswalt voiced a celebrity (if you can call a koala bear famous for viral videos of being cute a "celebrity") who gets caught being angry a lot and loses fans and fame because of it. Well, that last part hasn't happened to him IRL yet but it's only a matter of time. I think.

This show is great, by the way. Worthy addition to the Cartoon Network stable of shows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they showed the pilot episode in the UK yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing a pilot here in the US of A and it's not on CN's website, so here's a good video of it you can watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36R4GrP2T3Q

"I'm a vegetarian" :allears:

Fun fact: Baby Grizz and Panda are voiced by the kid who does Catbug in Bravest Warriors.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TwoPair posted:

Apparently they showed the pilot episode in the UK yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing a pilot here in the US of A and it's not on CN's website, so here's a good video of it you can watch:
It definitely hasn't played on tv in the US yet, I think this is what they played at some animation festival in Amsterdam that won them an audience award (or something, I don't remember) (I am a bad op)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TwoPair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36R4GrP2T3Q

"I'm a vegetarian" :allears:

Fun fact: Baby Grizz and Panda are voiced by the kid who does Catbug in Bravest Warriors.

I've definitely seen this before. I remember pants singing with the guitar hero controller as well as the message from his ex.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think some clips from this may have been used in ads and other promotional material. I've definitely seen some bits of the birthday party before. Overall a good pilot episode. The joke about the kids only wearing the party hats ironically got a laugh out of me. Also a lot of stuff straight from the original comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This thread needs more gifs.

And more Ice Bear

PS I'm getting a new av which one of these looks better:

or

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
This one! But SU avs are obviously superior exhibit A
<--

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Me and Test Pattern have the same one and even I get our posts confused for a second. SOMETHING HAD TO GIVE.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Kinda appropriate that Patton Oswalt voiced a celebrity (if you can call a koala bear famous for viral videos of being cute a "celebrity") who gets caught being angry a lot and loses fans and fame because of it. Well, that last part hasn't happened to him IRL yet but it's only a matter of time. I think.

For Oswalt that would probably be a blessing, he's on record as being super uncomfortable with his post-Ratatouille fame and how much it clashes with his standup persona.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

For Oswalt that would probably be a blessing, he's on record as being super uncomfortable with his post-Ratatouille fame and how much it clashes with his standup persona.
I was referring to his multiple meltdowns on social media, but yeah, getting famous because of Ratatouille and Young Adult really doesn't jive with his old image of the schlubby underdog nerd. That's probably why he settles for narration voiceovers on The Goldbergs, voice acting, and bit appearances on "nerd" shows these days.

It's a shame, since he was really good in Big Fan, and he's said that the only reason he wasn't nominated for an Academy Award for Young Adult was because he didn't kiss the voters' asses. I just want him to be funny again, is all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

This show is great, by the way. Worthy addition to the Cartoon Network stable of shows.

Patton Oswalt had his meltdown, it's just that nobody cares..

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, that got shared with smiles. I'd put him quoting white supremacists as a bigger gently caress up.

I honestly prefer the cartoon to the comic, the comic looks like someone tried to ape the style of Mutts but with too much character per image, so most of the panels are words with some art on it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

I think some clips from this may have been used in ads and other promotional material. I've definitely seen some bits of the birthday party before. Overall a good pilot episode. The joke about the kids only wearing the party hats ironically got a laugh out of me. Also a lot of stuff straight from the original comics.

Are there any more of these?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Here and here! I wasn't aware he worked for Dumm Comics. Huh.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kunster posted:

Nah, that got shared with smiles. I'd put him quoting white supremacists as a bigger gently caress up.

I honestly prefer the cartoon to the comic, the comic looks like someone tried to ape the style of Mutts but with too much character per image, so most of the panels are words with some art on it.

What'd he say? The original blogpost of it is deleted.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"Political Correctness is a war on noticing" Dude who stated that works for an org that aided on shooting latino migrants and all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't see how this is relevant to adorable cartoon bears.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't see how this is relevant to adorable cartoon bears.

Ice Bear: Hitler did nothing wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MariusLecter posted:

Ice Bear: Hitler did nothing wrong.

You know, I can read this in his voice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

*Grizz and Panpan come home to a room full of skulls*

"Ice Bear did nothing wrong."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Y-Hat posted:

*Grizz and Panpan come home to a room full of skulls*

"Ice Bear did nothing wrong."

One of the things I'm liking about the show so far is the tension between them being bears and them being people. Regular Show and Gumball for instance almost never acknowledge that some of its people are animals (or gumball machines, balloons, etc.), but the episode of Bears where they turn into actual bears after being separated from civilization for a few days was really interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Hearing them roar is also kind of unsettling, be it Grizzly in that pilot, Panda and Ice Bear went they went feral or Ice Bear during the tussle for the Jean Jacket.

• Locked thread