Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
would you take a job that didn't pay anything and you couldn't work any other jobs (not including SO's or spouses) but every two weeks you had a 1/300 chance of winning five million dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Would not, op.

Richard McBeef
Apr 21, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What's the job?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of work are we talking here?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
just like uhh doing stock inventory or processing credit applications or something easy

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug
Six years (On average and rounding) for 5 mil? Sure, I'd take it if i could keep from starving to death.

What's the job?

e: even better. Was worried it would be something gay, like sucking dicks

e2: oh poo poo, every two weeks, so about 12 years I guess? Hmm, not looking so good anymore op, but probably still yes

Scapulor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 14, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no, why would I do that

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Scapulor posted:

Six years (On average and rounding) for 5 mil? Sure, I'd take it if i could keep from starving to death.

What's the job?

That's not how odds work. You would still have a 1/300 chance every two weeks, not a 1/150 chance after a month.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Should hit the five mil within 30 years. Can I telecommute?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Champenema posted:

Should hit the five mil within 30 years. Can I telecommute?

no you have to commute at the very least 20 mins a day by car or walking

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
that comes out to $830k~ a year unless i'm fantastically unlucky so yes op

edit: oh wait every 2 weeks, so like 415. still good

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

g0lbez posted:

good

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Concerned Citizen posted:

do you feel lucky punk

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If I qualified for welfare sure why not

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
in the future this is how all jobs will work

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

g0lbez posted:

You gotta problem with unicycles?

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Can it be a glamorous job like a rock star or actor? If I get famous and women let me crash at their place, yes.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Kuato posted:

If I qualified for welfare sure why not

for the purposes of the experiment you would be working a 15k a year job so if that qualifies for federal/state welfare then sure include that

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

That's not how odds work. You would still have a 1/300 chance every two weeks, not a 1/150 chance after a month.

While I did gently caress up my math, I think you'd hit the jackpot once every 600 weeks or so, on average. Say 50 weeks a year for simplicity, makes 12 years and you'd be due.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

gently caress yes idiot

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
Already done.

Employ 0000 reporting in!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

in the future this is how all jobs will work

under a trump presidency, yeah

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

and yes its gamblers fallacy

but gently caress yes

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
50/50 chance of having gotten 5 mill after 208 intervals = 416 weeks = just shy of 8 years. A little risky, but the expected outcome is decent...

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Scapulor posted:

While I did gently caress up my math, I think you'd hit the jackpot once every 600 weeks or so, on average. Say 50 weeks a year for simplicity, makes 12 years and you'd be due.

You still fail to grasp how odds work. While you would think that the chances would be greater after so many tries, that's just not how it works. If you flip a coin 20 times and it's always heads, that doesn't increase the likelihood of it coming up tails on flip 20 at all.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

op ninja edited this to every 2 weeks. but still gently caress yes. you would very likely make 5 mil in a decade. i am not currently on track for that

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

poopzilla posted:

op ninja edited this to every 2 weeks. but still gently caress yes. you would very likely make 5 mil in a decade. i am not currently on track for that

you should sign up for the job then

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

criscodisco posted:

You still fail to grasp how odds work. While you would think that the chances would be greater after so many tries, that's just not how it works. If you flip a coin 20 times and it's always heads, that doesn't increase the likelihood of it coming up tails on flip 20 at all.

technically yes, in the real world though if you flip a coin twenty times and it's always heads... it's probably going to land on tails you math dummy

poopzilla posted:

i didn't ninja edit poo poo

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

gently caress the ROW posted:

you should sign up for the job then

where do i sign

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
my 1%er dad says absolutely because he could collect like five different kinds of benefits off it and still potentially make $5,000,000

now e started arguing with the premise of the thread because of labor laws and minimum wage and basically because he's autistic

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

g0lbez posted:

i didn't ninja edit poo poo

strange we all came up with 5 years at first

yea gambler fallacy yadadadadadadada im takin them odds

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
if I was like 16yo yeah sure i would

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Nigmaetcetera posted:

my 1%er dad says absolutely because he could collect like five different kinds of benefits off it and still potentially make $5,000,000

wtf kind of benefits does he expect from a 15k a year job

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

edit: oh wait every 2 weeks, so like 415. still good
expected value

mynigga.jpg

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

g0lbez posted:

technically yes, in the real world though if you flip a coin twenty times and it's always heads... it's probably going to land on tails you math dummy

Yeah, math dummy. People like you are what the lottery were invented for.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

g0lbez posted:

wtf kind of benefits does he expect from a 15k a year job

gov. benefits. he's an occupational physician so he knows how to steal from the government if he has the opportunity. he already said the thread was dumb though because it didn't pass the bechdel or the turing test or some dumb poo poo.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

LegoPirateNinja posted:

expected value

mynigga.jpg

where are you guys getting these values? i multiplied 5 million by .003 which is where i came up with the annual salary unless i'm just too loving tired to realize what math is right now

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

UH OP this is against labor laws just fyi

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Twelve years till expected payout......roughly, gently caress you, I've had a few drinks.

Eh, more money please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

VendaGoat posted:

Twelve years till expected payout......roughly, gently caress you, I've had a few drinks.

Eh, more money please.

five million isn't enough?

• Locked thread