Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
I'm a huge fan of Westerns - I think that Once Upon A Time In The West is the best of the genre.

In 1968 Sergio Leone followed up the "Man With No Name" trilogy with this movie, starting fresh with a new cast and plot.

I think this was the best film Sergio Leone ever directed:

From the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

To the banter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juwwCTBZOCQ

To the backstory and climax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c

To the original ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kaDcdzj2w & even the U.S. ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMd6D1Gw1g

Enophos fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
There was a mostly fantastic Western thread where a lot of this got covered, but it was years ago.

I would never write off anybody who said OUATITW is their favorite Western, but it's sort of a "greatest hits" in many ways, incorporating bits and pieces from other movies and assuming you, the viewer, have seen these things yourself. It's still great, but things like say, Henry Fonda's character probably carry more impact if you've seen stuff like say, My Darling Clementine or Ox-Bow Incident first. I think the same of John Wayne too: The Searchers and True Grit are great, but they're better if you know about stuff like Stagecoach or Rio Grande first.

The trouble with "what's the best Western" discussions is that they often begin and end with Leone (or sometimes Eastwood), as if to say "well, those are the best so we needn't care about anybody else." I love those movies, but I think people owe it to themselves to at least check out some Westerns by the other two Sergios--I'm referring to Corbucci and Sollima--first. Corbucci's gotten a little more visibility since people now have heard about Django thanks to Tarantino's movie (this was what I posted about Django five years ago), but Sollima is still less well known. When I think of Sollima, The Big Gundown tends to come to mind first. While I'll always prefer the Italian Westerns (I have a soft spot for the first Sabata, myself), I used to just summarily write off the non-revisionist American Westerns entirely. But I think people should at least watch some to understand what everything since has been in response to, and for my money's worth the epitome of the classic American Westerns is Shane.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 14, 2015

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
High Noon is really Hitchcock in a Western setting, but I absolutely love how well the film slowly escalates tension. None of Sergio's goofy Westerns have ever impacted me as much as High Noon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Searchers is the best Western of all-time, hell it may just be the best movie of all-time.

Once Upon A Time in the West is top 5 though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I know there are better Westerns, but my personal favorites are The Outlaw Josey Wales and High Plains Drifter, especially the latter for the locations and score.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Unforgiven, hands down. "I was building a house...". I miss Gene Hackman and it's a shame he retired in 2004.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kill White Comanche, gently caress The Outlaw Josey Wales, Marry The Searchers.

e: I keep flipping on that worst, but really White Comanche has zero redeeming qualities so it might as well eat it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 14, 2015

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
For a Few Dollars More often gets overlooked because of its successors, but it honestly might be my favorite Leone. Lee Van Cleef in top form.

The Big Gundown is pretty awesome too.

Also, the Wild Bunch has gotta be in any top 5

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I guess people aren't saying The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly just because that's a given right?

And you know what? In some ways it's very very stupid, but dammit, I can't help but love Tombstone. Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer being awesome, Sam Elliot doing his Sam Elliot thing all over the place, Charlton loving Heston out of goddamn nowhere, and Billy Zane being a ridiculous fop of an actor. How can you not love this movie???

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The Proposition, Unforgiven, and Josey Wales are all really good. But I just don't see an argument for the best Western to be anything other than OUATITW

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I guess people aren't saying The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly just because that's a given right?

I'll say it. It's this one. Honorable mention goes to Unforgiven and Once Upon A Time In The West. I also like Pale Rider as far as westerns with a supernatural twist go. He makes them literally paint the town red, how awesome is that?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've only watched a criminally small number of Westerns, but Silverado's appropriately wacky, yet excellent cast makes it one of my favourites.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I know this is a super unoriginal opinion, but the music by itself makes that film loving amazing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

THE BAR posted:

I've only watched a criminally small number of Westerns, but Silverado's appropriately wacky, yet excellent cast makes it one of my favourites.

Silverado's one of my guilty pleasures. Sure it's nothing special in terms of movie critic cred but it's eminently watchable.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheJoker138 posted:

I'll say it. It's this one. Honorable mention goes to Unforgiven and Once Upon A Time In The West. I also like Pale Rider as far as westerns with a supernatural twist go. He makes them literally paint the town red, how awesome is that?

You're thinking of High Plains Drifter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Eastwood as much as the next guy, but nobody's really talking about Wayne here.

Aside from The Searchers(Best Western ever made), Wayne made a ton of Westerns that are all incredibly watchable and entertaining. Stagecoach, The Man that Shot Liberty Valance, Rio Bravo, Rio Grande, Fort Apache, True Grit, El Dorado, and plenty more.

And I'm sorry to keep harping on The Searchers, but its required viewing for anyone who's excited about Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. Vistavision was kind of a precursor to 70mm, and The Hateful Eight is the first film in a long while to be shot in 70mm. Martin Scorsese said in an interview that is on The Searchers blu ray that he thinks of Vistavision as the best film format ever for cinema.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Yojimbo
:colbert:

I can't help but go with "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", because honestly it's just a well done film that's fun to watch. I also really like "Stagecoach" a whole lot.

Since I'm sure this thread could easily turn into a list of the same films over and over, I'll throw something a little different out there:

Tears of the Black Tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTKuN5bc68

The movie is such an interesting spin on the western genre, and contains so much great eye candy. If you're a fan of westerns (or even if you're not), it's worth checking out.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 14, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Pretty sure it's Seven Samurai, which coincidentally is also the best movie ever made. It's like the Citizen Kane of cinema.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And you know what? In some ways it's very very stupid, but dammit, I can't help but love Tombstone. Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer being awesome, Sam Elliot doing his Sam Elliot thing all over the place, Charlton loving Heston out of goddamn nowhere, and Billy Zane being a ridiculous fop of an actor. How can you not love this movie???
It won't be a popular opinion in this thread, but I am right there with you. It may not be the best crafted western, but if I could only watch one for the rest of my life? Tombstone.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The answer is Dead Man.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I thought I loved everything Mel Brooks has produced, but rewatching Blazing Saddles has left me a bit lukewarm on it.. The jokes are there, but it's all so slow and stilted, even.

When the jokes get good, they're brilliant, but sometimes they're addled with dead air, and it's not the kind that lets the joke settle.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Slugworth posted:

It won't be a popular opinion in this thread, but I am right there with you. It may not be the best crafted western, but if I could only watch one for the rest of my life? Tombstone.

I'm your huckleberry.

I still have no idea what that means!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

zandert33 posted:

Tears of the Black Tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTKuN5bc68

The movie is such an interesting spin on the western genre, and contains so much great eye candy. If you're a fan of westerns (or even if you're not), it's worth checking out.

this movie is loving incredible even if it drags a bit
like, just visually it is just ridiculous
but do you know if there's a copy available that isn't really washed out? i've seen it only twice and the second time i saw it, it seriously looked 10x worse simply because those beautiful pastel colors were just wiped out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All those westerns are goo, and you shoudl watch them all, but the best is actually Jeremiah Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjN8YJt55g

North-West is still West.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Fereydun posted:

this movie is loving incredible even if it drags a bit
like, just visually it is just ridiculous
but do you know if there's a copy available that isn't really washed out? i've seen it only twice and the second time i saw it, it seriously looked 10x worse simply because those beautiful pastel colors were just wiped out

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the UK release is the best version. The Thai release doesn't have English subs, and the US release is crap. The DVD is PAL and Region 2, so you'd have to be able to deal with that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

THE BAR posted:

I thought I loved everything Mel Brooks has produced, but rewatching Blazing Saddles has left me a bit lukewarm on it.. The jokes are there, but it's all so slow and stilted, even.

When the jokes get good, they're brilliant, but sometimes they're addled with dead air, and it's not the kind that lets the joke settle.
Yeah but the climax/final battle is probably the greatest climax created by man

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

All those westerns are goo, and you shoudl watch them all, but the best is actually Jeremiah Johnson.

North-West is still West.

Jeremiah Johnson is a weird movie. It's just the nicest movie about a cannibalistic serial killer. The scenery is breathtaking, the guy's real name was Liver Eating Johnson, the Indians are treated respectfully and (for the most part) as real people, except when they random attack the hero and are (presumably) eaten. It's a very left-leaning, east coast liberal take on an absolutely brutal story. There's a section of the movie that feels like an after school special.

To add a movie to the list, I'll go with Bad Company, an early Jeff Bridges movie. It sets up a lot of presumptions and then brutally beats the tar out of them. The movie is dirty (and in dirt, not raunch) desperate and lean. The ending comes out of nowhere but makes perfect sense once it hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZrcqIvvB_0

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The Searchers is so overrated, Stagecoach is better on every level and arguably more influential.

I recently watched The Shooting which is a stunning 60's existential western by Monte Hellman starring Jack Nicholson and Warren Oates, I urge everyone to check it out.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

HP Hovercraft posted:

The Searchers is so overrated, Stagecoach is better on every level and arguably more influential.

Agreed, I was so disappointed when I finally saw The Searchers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you have a big t.v. and you watch The Searchers on blu ray, the opening shot should be enough to make it one of the best Westerns of all time. If you're into cinematography and ridiculously beautiful landscapes, then you will love The Searchers.

There's thirty or forty more reasons to love The Searchers but I will save them for whenever someone tries to poo poo on it. Be warned!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I don't have much to contribute here, and I guess technically this isn't a movie, but every time my friend visits he says I have to watch Lonesome Dove and it's the best thing ever. Is he right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You're thinking of High Plains Drifter.

poo poo you're right. Got my "Clint Eastwood is a ghost cowboy" movies mixed up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TheJoker138 posted:

poo poo you're right. Got my "Clint Eastwood is a ghost cowboy" movies mixed up.

It's okay, Pale Rider is also really loving good and worth mentioning. No ghosts in it though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
High Plains Drifter has already been name-checked so I'm going to be the terrible person who suggests The Quick and The Dead because Sharon Stone as a cowgirl...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pablo Bluth posted:

High Plains Drifter has already been name-checked so I'm going to be the terrible person who suggests The Quick and The Dead because Sharon Stone as a cowgirl...

The Quick and the Dead is what happens when you make a superhero movie in a Western setting and it owns.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

zandert33 posted:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the UK release is the best version. The Thai release doesn't have English subs, and the US release is crap. The DVD is PAL and Region 2, so you'd have to be able to deal with that.
that's a shame.. i'm assuming the digital versions are all based off the US release?
the difference is quite drastic- it's truly a huge loss if there's no readily available version that managed to keep those beautiful colors

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 15, 2015

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

hobbez posted:

I don't have much to contribute here, and I guess technically this isn't a movie, but every time my friend visits he says I have to watch Lonesome Dove and it's the best thing ever. Is he right?

The miniseries is good. The book, in fact, is the best thing ever.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

hobbez posted:

It's really, really good. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall have some great back and forth, and while the effects can look a little cheesy in 2015, the story is still engaging and should definitely be watched at least once. I've got the book, the DVD, and soon the Blu-ray, I like Lonesome Dove that much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorites are The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Unforgiven, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and Django Unchained. Not an original list but I don't care. Honorable mention goes to My Darling Clementine,The Grand Duel, High Plains Drifter, and while it debatably is not a western I liked The Beguiled.

Honestly I don't get the love for the original Django. Just seems like a bad imitation of Leone to me, and the whole giant machine gun made the shootouts kind of boring to watch. The imagery of Django dragging a coffin around is cool though I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Anybody ever see the Japanese version of Unforgiven? I heard it's almost a scene-for-scene remake of the original.

• Locked thread