Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

I've seen something like 45 Fords, some of my favorite Fords are not Westerns (7 Women, How Green Was My Valley, The Long Voyage Home, Donovan's Reef, The Quiet Man, The Long Gray Line, They Were Expendable, Young Mr. Lincoln) it's absolutely overwhelming, not just how many films he made, but how many good films he made. But I think Wagon Master is absolutely his best Western, his most beautiful and most human, and, while I think calling Ford "poetic" is played out, his most poetic. And the best John Ford Western is probably the best overall Western ever made. Honorable mentions to Two Rode Together, Cheyenne Autumn, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, and naturally Stagecoach, The Searchers, and My Darling Clementine

Also gonna plug The Lusty Men, which I think is just as good as -- if not, better than -- Johnny Guitar as far as Nick Ray is concerned

Young Mr. Lincoln is really good huh? It's on Netflix or Hulu I think, been on my queue for a few weeks now, maybe I should finally check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I don't really agree with it ideologically, it's basically hagiography, the story of Lincoln as a Superhero Origin Story, but it is one of his best directed movies and Fonda's performance is outstanding.

Also it has a cool mouth harp.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

I've seen something like 45 Fords, some of my favorite Fords are not Westerns (7 Women, How Green Was My Valley, The Long Voyage Home, Donovan's Reef, The Quiet Man, The Long Gray Line, They Were Expendable, Young Mr. Lincoln) it's absolutely overwhelming, not just how many films he made, but how many good films he made. But I think Wagon Master is absolutely his best Western, his most beautiful and most human, and, while I think calling Ford "poetic" is played out, his most poetic. And the best John Ford Western is probably the best overall Western ever made. Honorable mentions to Two Rode Together, Cheyenne Autumn, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, and naturally Stagecoach, The Searchers, and My Darling Clementine

Also gonna plug The Lusty Men, which I think is just as good as -- if not, better than -- Johnny Guitar as far as Nick Ray is concerned

Just watched Sgt Rutledge, where Woody Strode plays a black First Sergeant in the Cavalry accused of raping and murdering a white woman. Very heavy on the Ford comedy, and Strode's character is like a supporting role in his own movie, with the focus being more on Jeffrey Hunter's defense attorney and his new girlfriend than Sgt Rutledge. Also suffers from all the black people as being just a little too perfect, like they weren't allowed to have flaws since this is a positive portrayal of them.

It's really one of those "you're a credit to your people, son" type of movies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You guys like 3 Godfathers?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, it's awesome.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Raxivace posted:

I like all three Godfather movies yeah :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whoever called Fistful of Dynamite (Duck You Sucker) frustrating because of its views on politics is right but I think it's probably Leone's best movie because of that, as it really rips apart the reality of war and fanaticism. Juan's family are some of the best supporting characters in a western.

Also got love for movies like Charlie One-Eye, Cut-Throats Nine, and Boss friend of the family.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

I don't really agree with it ideologically, it's basically hagiography, the story of Lincoln as a Superhero Origin Story, but it is one of his best directed movies and Fonda's performance is outstanding.

Also it has a cool mouth harp.

U should check this out
http://shotcontext.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-lincoln-myth-on-film.html

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Raxivace posted:

I liked Disco Godfather, haven't seen the other two

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Vegetable posted:

Anybody ever see the Japanese version of Unforgiven? I heard it's almost a scene-for-scene remake of the original.

I didn't know this existed, probably gonna watch this this weekend

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Whoever called Fistful of Dynamite (Duck You Sucker) frustrating because of its views on politics is right but I think it's probably Leone's best movie because of that, as it really rips apart the reality of war and fanaticism. Juan's family are some of the best supporting characters in a western.

Also got love for movies like Charlie One-Eye, Cut-Throats Nine, and Boss friend of the family.

Cut-Throats Nine is so dope.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've recently watched The Searchers and Stagecoach and probably need to watch them again. I didn't think either were anything close to being something deserving of all the praise that they have.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Would you all consider Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala to be a western? It's got a lot of the same themes I see in westerns (Nation building, man vs. nature, destruction of native inhabitants and their way of life by incoming settlers etc.), but it's in Siberia.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Would you all consider Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala to be a western? It's got a lot of the same themes I see in westerns (Nation building, man vs. nature, destruction of native inhabitants and their way of life by incoming settlers etc.), but it's in Siberia.

The Russians call films featuring the transposition of the classic Western themes to the trans-Urals "Easterns" so I guess, being from Japan, Dersu Uzala is a Soba Eastern

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

I've recently watched The Searchers and Stagecoach and probably need to watch them again. I didn't think either were anything close to being something deserving of all the praise that they have.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't like those two, what are a few Westerns you do like?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

The Russians call films featuring the transposition of the classic Western themes to the trans-Urals "Easterns" so I guess, being from Japan, Dersu Uzala is a Soba Eastern

Wasn't Dersu Uzala a Soviet-Japanese co-production? I think that would make it a straight up Eastern.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I caught Wagon Master off of TCM today and drat is it a fun movie. Practically every shot is just beautiful to look at too. If you like Ford's other westerns and haven't seen this one, make a point of checking it out.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wasn't Dersu Uzala a Soviet-Japanese co-production? I think that would make it a straight up Eastern.
Yeah it was produced by both the Soviets and the Japanese.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Saw Johnny Guitar on gorg 35mm friday and it was pretty wonderful.

1) Joan Crawford is a goddamn revelation and I need to see more of her.

2) The ending was so lovably silly and 50's hollywood. So, after Joan Crawford's saloon whose construction she paid for with prostitution is burned down, after she gets shot in the shoulder, after her friend who has a crush on her gets shot in the head, the movie ends with her kissing Johnny under a waterfall while the previously sad theme song gets all bright and trumpet-y.

3) There's a crazy moment with John Carradine where he wistfully repeats Johnny's "Coffee and Cigarettes are all a man needs" mantra while watching Johnny and Vienna go to town. But it holds on him a bit too long and then he spazzes out, seemingly reacting to the score doing a bizarre, plucky, zippy slapstick riff. It's like he's reacting to a fly or something, but there's no fly or buzz or anything like that that the film communicates, unless I missed it. There's something almost uncanny or creepy about it, this unexplained moment that makes no sense where a western character seems to hear the soundtrack for no reason, captured on this film forever. idk.

4) Michael Cera was at the screening and sat next to me in the lobby while his date went to pee.

Anyway, good movie. Obvious McCarthy witch-hunt themes with v good performances and a great score. A+++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just love how it's uncommented on that Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge are women.

• Locked thread