Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Confirming. Sup folks?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kashuno posted:

Please give your opinions of XCOM

I really liked it the first time through but found it weirdly too nerve wracking to play again a second time. I was deeply concerned about the fates of my electronic fights men.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Somberbrero posted:

x-com is okay but managing risk gets kind of tedious after a while.

YES THIS

Also dudes missing shots with 90% chances to hit on the reg drove me insane

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BottleKnight posted:

I agree with this but would like Met to explain how he didn't know this from either the OP or his role PM.

I sort of assumed he was asking for flavor sake; like "Hey are these humans with brain bugs or some kind of weirdo alien cultists or something like colonial rebel terrorists from the Aliens movies or some other thing"

i dunno if that is enough to vote on?

Met posted:

Did we all get the same role PM?

I haven't seen the OP since I signed up. :shrug:

OP said role heavy so I assume there is not a lot of vanilla in the mix

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tremendous Taste posted:

Met, you *were* scum that game

Can you explain this for the rest of the class

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

You made a fatal error in jumping on a Tremendous Taste vote in all earnest.

#vote Bottleknight

Met posted:

You guys are wrong but it doesn't stress me out that much. Go for it.

These both scummish to me? The "no you are the real scum" without much prelude countervote style thing followed by "eh what evarrrrr". It is not a GREAT case but it is D1 and there is not much else going on. Gonna wait to vote because we still have 36ish hours and I sorta want horsebanger to post something before and maybe grint offer something besides "im here".

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Sagan posted:

As far as I can tell, aliens haven't been mentioned in any of the flavor. I'd think, as far as slips go, it would make sense for a hypothetical alien 3p. I suspect you're scum.

##vote Met

I sort of assumed he asked about aliens b/c it is an XCOM game and they might factor? It doesn't feel slippy to me, but his response still does.

Kashuno posted:

##unvote

Is this just to keep him from being hammered early or is there some other thing goin on

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

Huh, I screwed up my vote.

##vote Bottleknight

OK so, why BK? Is this just hitting back for fun, or is there a read here, or what? If you're gonna vote, make a case at least!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I hate day one more than anything else about Mafia

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

I didn't read it.

Do you see any flavor in any Role PM I ever sent you, Bottleknight? I didn't read any of that bullshit and just wanted a day 1 post to confirm I'm actually in the thread. Day 1 is garbage in every single game. Jokephase is godawful and people jump on any little thing to get a townie lynched.

You guys are sheep following a meta which has no basis in reality.

So you don't want to read the PMs and flavor in a flavor heavy, role heavy game

Your reasoning on the slip not being a slip

Is not reading the PM

which might have had the answer

to your actual question

what

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

All this says is "I will vote you if you don't read the flavor even if you're town because I can't be assed to do anything else."

Dude the best case scenario for you right now is you are lazy, halfassed town who seems more interested in grandstanding than playing the game. That is my actual read on the whole thing. I have a half an idea you are some weird third party who gets to win if you bait people into a lynch, but that seems kind of dumb. We have at least one player we haven't heard from at all yet, and that bothers me more than you getting into a pissing match with BK at the moment.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

So how do you guys plan to justify it when I flip town?

I didn't bother going through all the flavor. I saw bits about EXALT and nothing on the Aliens so asked just to make a first post. TT empty voted. BottleKnight jumped in on it. I handwaved it. When people made a huge stink over it because they have nothing better to do on Day 1, I revealed what happened.

Which means I'm scum. Okay. Well, if I was Vanilla I wouldn't give a poo poo but I actually have a power role that I think is a little too important to throw away for the town just to spite poo poo like:

What the gently caress are you on? Babysitting meaning watching for any near-hammers so a couple of scum/fools don't hammer a day early without me providing some last ditch input.. You are absolutely overdoing it and you're going to look like a fool after I flip town. This kind of tunneling on minor poo poo doesn't win games for the town.

I have had sleep and reread things, and this post bothers me a lot. I don't generally hold with "being defensive = SCUM" esp. since you have been gone after like BK was a fuckin terrier, but the timelime here seems to read:

- SLIP OCCURS
- Stink is made (fair enough here)
- Handwaving is done, which mostly baits the wolves, as it were.
- You then claim to have not read it. Both the OP and the PM (at least the one I got) are not long. This is a weird excuse in a minutia obsessed game like this, because people getting hung up on every little word is pretty standard as far as I can tell and as we see here now. This does not seem... townish. It also seems too dumb to actually be a scum thing tho, so it gets put to the side.
- When this is pressed, you stick to your guns about not being arsed and add a soft claim of a "role too important" and how we need to wait a night to see your true value.

Most of the rest of your posts seem to be bickering with BK or discouraging this line of inquiry. Asking questions isn't tunnelling, it is playing the game, I doubt this is a bus like was suggested as a possibility, because there is way too much LOOK AT ME going on here. If you are town, you are being weird about it, which makes me think 3P, which makes me OK with voting for you. There is still time there.

Other reads:
BK - aggressive chasing is pretty townish usually?
TT - TT's read is more or less the same as mine, although he feels it enough to vote at this point, so townish too

Everyone else is sort of up in the air. D1 is a pain because I cant tell who is not posting because they want to lay low, and who is not posting because they are not paying attention, and who is not posting because they are not willing to say something that might get them targeted for some dumbass (or not dumbass) reason.

Thus ends my morning thoughts.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Oh also I googled and EXALT are the bad guys from the expansion pack. I never got that so it was news to me, and apparently others too:

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/EXALT

So if that link is anything to go on, be on the lookout for beefy white dudes with bad hair.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TMMadman posted:

About the only part I don't really like about this post is soft conclusion that BK aggressively chasing/casing seems townish.

Fair enough on that, I thought about it and it is more forgivable because D1 if that makes any sense? Like, we gotta case SOMETHIN and there is fuckall else to go on for D1. I can see how the opposite conclusion might come from the same info, but that is my GUT FEELING.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Green Intern posted:

Hi, I'm probably one of those people who isn't posting enough for your tastes, Winson. I'm pretty new to Mafia games.

I'm there with you on the whole 'this is D1, we don't have much to go on' bit. Sorry if I don't have a lot of insights to offer here, but every case related to BK and Met has been picked over pretty well, in my opinion.

I might be willing to vote for Met, but there's plenty of time to wait on that.

Strictly speaking I don't care how much you post, only that from what you have posted it is hard to get a read, even a lovely D1 read. That said we have LESS THAN TWELVE HOURS

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also I know setup questions and theorycrafting are bad, but I am still sort of new so I am gonna ask anyway, with 11 people we are looking at like, 2-3 mafi EXALT dudes, right?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tremendous Taste posted:

Content kvetching d1 is bad

I read that as "constant" at first and I agree in both cases

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

So close.

Here's you're own BINGO card if you want to play along at home.

Which is uncharacteristic of them both to be so low key.

This does not seem like it helps in clearing your case!

YOU ARE VERY FRUSTRATING.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

All right, I come back to 63 posts of bickering, this is the Mafia I remember.

OK, this is my D1 thoughts.

- Met is probably not scum.
- Met may be some 3P deal
- Met is, at best, lazy and somewhat obstructive town.
- Met softclaimed as a defense against a lynch, which feels a little weird this early to me? Esp in a role heavy game. Fishing for it seems dumb, because either he tells the truth which makes him sort of potentially useless if his claim true or he lies, in which case he can just make stuff up.

I don't really have any other scum reads. TT started this whole thing rollin, and has stuck to his guns, Sombrero was kind of a dick in the other games I was in and will likely be in this one, TMM feeeeels townisssh? because I don;t know. BK reads genuine, with hints of annoyance more than suspicion. idk from grint or sagan.

I don't like the idea of a no-lynch, but I am not really feeling a vote on Met either.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Somberbrero posted:

alright but who do you want to dunk?? you're not saying much about alignment here, which is what matters.

OK if forced to, I would go on Met if nothing changes in the next three hours or so. I think, if someone put a gun to my SA account and I absolutely had to call, that he is some flavor of 3P.

If given the option to choose otherwise? Maybe BK for excessive enthusiasm, or Vimes for me-tooishness. I don't have a lot of alignment reads yet, sorry. Ultimately I would rather not have a no-lynch since it has been pounded into me from go that is bad for town.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

Sorry. I'll role over and die for the good of the group.

ROLE over? More softclaims, eh?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

You caught me.

JACCUSE

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

My oops will only get myself lynched. Your oops will get a townie lynched.

SCUMSLIP YOU ADMIT YOU ARE NOT TOWN

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I should be around for the next two hours but we just got a flash flood warning and a tornado watch, so if power goes out maybe I can vote with my phone and maybe not.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Is there any situation where a No-Lynch is good for town? Because in 20 min that is where we are going.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

What's worse? Lynching a not-counterclaimed Tracker or no-lynching?

Well, if you are scum going down, trying to draw out a counterclaim at this point would be a useful thing to do. Like, avoiding the D1 lynch would be best, but if you could pull out the tracker (or cop, or doctor) from the woodpile then that would be the way to go, I would think. I still think you are 3P or just a dork, but just sayin that would be the way to go I'd think

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TMMadman posted:

It looks like we have 7 people here, so we could theoretically switch the vote to someone else, but it probably wouldn't to through if we target one of us.

Well you'd best do it pretty fuckin quick!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TMMadman posted:

Well at this point, I think I could only really point at one of the two main lurkers: Horsebanger or Grandicap.

I mean we could just go for the policy lynch on a lurker to avoid lynching a claimed tracker.

Well there are 15 min to pick one. That would be some fuckin turbo.

Met posted:

I want an apology tomorrow for every single post like this of yours.

Dude you are the last one to demand apologies for poo poo, Mr. Doesnt Read His Fuckin PM. ARRGH.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ugh, gently caress it.

##vote Met

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Holy poo poo that was a fast night. I am like, four beers to the good at this point and have survived the surprisingly crazy storm, so I am gonna crash and sleep on it. I agree BK is probably gonna eat a bag of poo poo today, but idk how much of that he really deserves. Must sleep.

The last player voting is the executioner is some nice gruesome flavor there, Foo.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am home at last, getting caught up. Seems like some fine D2 bickering, nice to see sagan and grint wading in. There's no need to turbo poo poo, we have some time here.

TMMadman posted:

You mean my defense of an innocent townie?

This is sort of begging the question here; the only way this could be an actual defense is if you were actually scum, because then you would have actually known who was an innocent townie. You were just as ultimately in the dark as the rest of us. Just sayin'.

BottleKnight posted:

I beat this the other day in Rare Replay, with a goddamned xbox controller.

I hate battletoads. But I love battletoads.

No one can beat battletoads, LYNCH ALL LIARS.

Kashuno posted:

Madman please address you being mad at BK for tunneling and your dislike of turboing, and then you literally admitting you're wanting to turbo and tunnel

This kind of bugs me too. You are committing way hard to the course of action that you are claiming is inherently scummy. It seems inconsistent unless there is something else on the table I am not seeing. Also this seems to be a weird replay of D1 in a lot of respects, which is also weird.

Evil Sagan posted:

Can someone clarify something for me? It's been a while since I played mafia. Does the colloquialism "scum" refer to all non-town/"bad guys" including 3p or just the "main" bad guys (i.e. the titular mafia)?

I have been using it for "mafia team," I have been calling 3P stuff 3P.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Sagan posted:

I suspect SirSamVimes is scum. I'm convinced, after too much deliberation and seeking some clarification on language today, that my read on his post re: aliens was in fact poor parsing on my part. However, taking another look today, his initial reason for voting Mets reads to me like scum trying to imitate the reasoning on voting Mets without really understanding it and his follow-up posts [1, 2, 3] read to me like retcons to get on board with the town reasoning after more people became vocal about what made Met suspicious. In other words, his contribution to the Met lynch reeks of thinly-veiled "me too" posting.

This is not the worst case, I like the case on TT better right now, but I'm gonna reread Vimes.

Evil Sagan posted:

I suspect Green Intern is scum. He hedges a lot on the subject of Met, offers no conviction or little in the way of reads on other players, and mostly just limply hangs off Winson's comments in regards to limited information.

This applies to you too, tho, and half the thread as of yesterday.

Evil Sagan posted:

I suspect Winson_Paine is scum. Over time he establishes that he doesn't believe Mets is scum, but also that Mets is such a poor player as to be GRR SO ANGRY-MAKING, and ultimately votes for him anyway. Maybe he's just a really passionate advocate for good town play? :shrug:

3P is nearly as good as scum; they are closer to scum allies and have no real obligation to not gently caress over the town. And not actually reading the PMs and such should probably be more the province of a modkill/replacement, but that is an argument for another time. He did irritate the poo poo out of me, I will admit.

If FORCED to pick a three man scumteam right now, to offer something of my own, I like TT or BK (I think it is one or the other, not both. Them having at it doesn't feel like a townie fight to me), Vimes, and either Sombrero or Horsebanger. That last is just GUT INSTINCT, however.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kashuno posted:

Did I miss something here?

TTM, sorry. Madman. I had a lot of tabs open.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Rereading, Grint feels more like "new player with town not wanting to gently caress up" than "scum"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Winson_Paine posted:

TTM, sorry. Madman. I had a lot of tabs open.

Also, after reviewing both my own post and some of the others, I am willing to commit on this one I think. The tunnelly aggro and the defensy response and the INNOCENT TOWNIE all make me think scumteam

##vote TTMadman

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also I had forgotten how weirdly exhausting this game is.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BottleKnight posted:

What about it doesn't feel like a townie fight to me? I would like to hear more.

I am not sure I can articulate it or point out what I see exactly; it feels like... it feels to me like it is coming from a place of malice rather than sincerity? I can't really back it beyond that. I may be able to after I give it some thought.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TMMadman posted:

There we go. I was waiting for the second vote on me. This is the scum.

##vote Winson

It helps to read all your posts in the voice of the nebbishy mastermind guy from princess bride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TMMadman posted:

There we go. I was waiting for the second vote on me. This is the scum.

##vote Winson

Also I gotta go for kid related reasons, but the short answer is this makes me suspect you more; the "second and third voters are SCUM" seems a flawed strategy at best, particularly when it was clearly wrong yesterday with grandi and apparrrrently BK now too? It is at the best a kind of lazy substitute for having to read (and you seem to be engaging pretty well) which makes me think it is actually more of a gimmick to target town without looking like you are, since apparently if Grandi was still around he would be on the hotseat today and be just as town.

• Locked thread