Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hope Winson and I are true scumbuddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Confirming

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm guessing EXALT are scum and also possibly alien-aligned 3p.

I don't know why you'd think EXALT are 3p when the flavor presented in the thread thus far indicates they are the main enemy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think you're parsing that incorrectly Sagan

Also good to see you again

The possibility occurred to me, but after going through it a few times I'm having trouble reading it any other way.

And same :tipshat:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Met posted:

The logic here doesn't make sense. "It's a scumslip that he 'forgot' what the bad guy flavor is despite the fact it's in the OP... something only a scum would do."

As far as I can tell, aliens haven't been mentioned in any of the flavor. I'd think, as far as slips go, it would make sense for a hypothetical alien 3p. I suspect you're scum.

##vote Met

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is there something special about voting with TT in particular?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Met posted:

Evil Sagen made this post:

Which is like, what? I asked if there are aliens and you think only a 3P Alien would possibly ask that?

You didn't ask if there were aliens, you asked who the bad guys are. Considering it's plastered all over the place, I don't see what the confusion could be unless there was something in your role message that might differ from what we've seen.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm guessing EXALT are scum and also possibly alien-aligned 3p.

Since Met brought it up, I have to admit this post is still bothering me. I know others parsed it as "aliens are a potential other 3p," which is a reasonable educated guess since it's an X-Com themed game, but it still reads to me like he was saying that EXALT are 3p that happen to be alien-aligned.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wait, I read Met's post and then his again and it makes sense as an answer to Met's strange inquiry, leaving Met as still more suspicious in the case of who the gently caress slipped up when talking about aliens in an X-Com game. My bad.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Why would I say one faction is both scum and 3p? I meant that EXALT as scum and either alien or alien mind-controlled 3p, based on my knowledge of the game itself.

You're right, it doesn't make sense, which is lucky because your grammar in that post is atrocious.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

As will all mafia posts, forever and ever.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Yes because nobody has ever slipped a claim into a seemingly innocuous post before. :rolleyes:

Up to this point, no one has suggested breadcrumbing, including yourself. I'm not sure why that's a factor you feel we all should have jumped on here.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The word "slip" has been used multiple times. I'm pretty sure that's the common theory, not bragging or taunting.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's my suspicion, anyway.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

And again, I find it basically completely implausible for Met to come in and make a slip that loving big. He'd basically have to be a drooling moron to come in and ask a direct question like that if he was scum/3p.

Do you really think that Met is a drooling moron?

Too scummy to be scum, then?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't think people are pushing Met so hard as much as they are analyzing your arguments, TMMadman.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

When is the right time to reveal information hidden to the scum?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Interesting that now is the time you object to this.

How so?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

We had a whole conversation about Met claiming and rolefishing earlier. Only now, after he claims, do you say it is a bad idea to reveal info to scum.

Do you believe his claim? Do you have anything to say about your vote with this new info?

It's not information because it's just a claim. Do you feel I should be moved?

You didn't answer my question. If Met really is a tracker, when was the right time for him to tell the whole world?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

You sound like you believe Met. I want his claim because it would help me determine if he is scum. I still think he is scum.

Do you think he's a town tracker now? Because you're voting him. I don't really understand your posts here.

I don't have any particular reason believe him. I was just wondering why you were jumping on his timing. Seems meaningless imo

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I was jumping on your timing...?

Are you even trying to read my posts?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Yes. Are you reading mine? I was not objecting to your point. It's totally valid to think that town should not reveal info to scum. I am simply wondering why you chose to point that out now instead of earlier when we were discussing it (or before the claim.)

And also the part where I was unclear on whether you believe his claim, but you shored that up.

Because my only objective was to express my skepticism about your questioning the timing. Everyone already knows why claiming isn't a good idea, I had nothing new to offer to that conversation.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Showcases a basic willingness to save yourself.

This is only necessary if the lynch is a sure thing (which, at this point... yeah). Beforehand, all he'd be doing is volunteering information that could get him killed later... if he is telling the truth

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Can someone clarify something for me? It's been a while since I played mafia. Does the colloquialism "scum" refer to all non-town/"bad guys" including 3p or just the "main" bad guys (i.e. the titular mafia)?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

:eyepop:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I suspect SirSamVimes is scum. I'm convinced, after too much deliberation and seeking some clarification on language today, that my read on his post re: aliens was in fact poor parsing on my part. However, taking another look today, his initial reason for voting Mets reads to me like scum trying to imitate the reasoning on voting Mets without really understanding it and his follow-up posts [1, 2, 3] read to me like retcons to get on board with the town reasoning after more people became vocal about what made Met suspicious. In other words, his contribution to the Met lynch reeks of thinly-veiled "me too" posting.

I suspect Green Intern is scum. He hedges a lot on the subject of Met, offers no conviction or little in the way of reads on other players, and mostly just limply hangs off Winson's comments in regards to limited information.

I suspect Winson_Paine is scum. Over time he establishes that he doesn't believe Mets is scum, but also that Mets is such a poor player as to be GRR SO ANGRY-MAKING, and ultimately votes for him anyway. Maybe he's just a really passionate advocate for good town play? :shrug:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

There we go. I was waiting for the second vote on me. This is the scum.

##vote Winson

Please elaborate on your reasoning.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

In 100% of the games I've played (and lived past N1), I pick a fight with someone and the second person to vote for me has been scum.

Every night?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What if Person A votes you, then unvotes you, then Person B and Person C vote you? Is Person B or Person C scum?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wow you full claimed kind of quick there.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't really believe you, SirSamVimes, but if you're telling the truth you better hammer yourself, because you've guaranteed scum won't ever take that hit.

##vote SirSamVimes

You kind of baffle me.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

As far as I'm concerned, I'm treating SSV as a confirmed townie who might get policy lynched in the future. Given his promise to self hammer, I see no reason to test his claim today.

You exhibit an astounding amount of certainty about who is town for someone who is supposedly as in the dark as the rest of us.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

On the other hand, I didn't particularly like your SSV vote and when combined with other posts the bells are ringing louder for you.

Make a case, friend.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Green Intern posted:

What do people think the odds are of a fake roleclaim?

The odds are strictly 50%. Either he is lying or he is telling the truth.

I'm having trouble parsing your take on him. Do you think he is scum? Why or why not?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Oh I understand that that scum can manipulate things with night actions, but I've been leaning town for SSV. The weird lynchbomb claim actually makes me lean harder towards town for him.

Why?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

##shoot Horsebanger

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

To answer your question from earlier, my weapon is an LMG.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My suspicion, unfounded (obviously), was that armaments were connected to powers, so I presumed that Horsebanger was like my evil role opposite.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

This just really doesn't sit right with me. I don't get why you would think that another LMG would be another dayvig. Do you think that every other Assault rifle is a tracker like Met? Do you think that there is another sniper rifle out there with the same power as whatever the Battle Scanner turns out be?

That seems unlikely since I doubt Horsebanger's role was the same as mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

And if SSV is a lynchbomb, he will blow up the person who hammers him. So if a townie hammers him then the town loses two players that day.

Presuming SSV is town.

• Locked thread